aberdeen-music

Brian May, What a Tube

Guest DustyDeviada

touting your hair round venues in the UK under the name Queen when your singer has been dead since 1991. good guitarist but still a twat.

Where to start?

They're not jus "touting" around the UK, but also had a massive tour in the US in 2006.

They're not touring as Queen, but as "Queen + Paul Rodgers"

Also, it's not just re-hash of Queen song's with a new singer but a "Celebration of the music of Queen, Bad Co & Free" (or something to that effect)

It's also fair to say he's not only good, but a great guitarist, not a twat tho

I don't see the big problem with Brian May, even if he is a twat. It's not like you have to live next door to him in a bizarre situation where he keeps borrowing your tools and 'forgetting' to give them back.

Simple solution. Fool your firewall into thinking Brian's Soapbox is virus-town, and it'll won't let you visit ever again.

I wouldn't base your argument on that show, unless you are also going to try to argue that the likes of Extreme, Def Leppard and Lisa Stansfield are great acts. ;)

Actually I think Def Leppard are excellent, one of the UK's most successfull acts ever and amazing live, add to them of course, Roger Daltrey, Tony Iommi, Robert Plant, Seal, Metallica, Guns'n'roses, Elton John, Annie Lennox, David Bowie, Mick Ronson, Ian Hunter, all pretty good in their respective genre's. I also have a soft spot for Extreme who had a great first and third albums, shame they split when they did, I might give you Lisa Stansfield, but at the time she was also very popular, fact remains Queen are one of the most influential rock bands in modern history 0 and Brian May wasd the first ever big band show I ever saw live and so I think he's great, i even like the Starfleet project EP he did.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest DustyDeviada

Everybody knows Def Leppard and Extreme are balls, but this thread has been blown way of course. It's not a thread about whether or not Queen were a good band, it's a thread about Brian May being a tube for being petty enough to slag off journalists who give him bad reviews on his website.

The Sunday Times did an article on this very subject yesterday, although it must be said, the tone was slightly different. ;)

just read the blog... he's entitled to his opinion (as are all of us) but a few things struck me -

- he's the guitarist for Queen, for fucks sake. Whatever your opinions (personally, i think they suck the farts from dead cats arseholes), they were a huge group and the "mop haired Queen guitarist" isn't doing his dignity any favours by being so petty and childish in some of his personal attacks.

- The man has no sense of humour at all.

- or any sense of irony, for that matter.

- He genuinly believes that "we will rock you" and queen + paul rodgers are important cultural events and not just lazy cash ins for a creatively bankrupt, spent force.

- Is he bumming Mika? What the fucks with the link to all the reviews saying how crap the album is? Take the hint, Bri - if it smells like shite, looks like shite and (probably) tastes like shite then it's SHITE.

Is there an email address or chat room or something on there? I reckon a good effort by us all would result in him slagging off this website as well!

Actually I think Def Leppard are excellent, one of the UK's most successfull acts ever and amazing live, add to them of course, Roger Daltrey, Tony Iommi, Robert Plant, Seal, Metallica, Guns'n'roses, Elton John, Annie Lennox, David Bowie, Mick Ronson, Ian Hunter, all pretty good in their respective genre's. I also have a soft spot for Extreme who had a great first and third albums, shame they split when they did, I might give you Lisa Stansfield, but at the time she was also very popular, fact remains Queen are one of the most influential rock bands in modern history 0 and Brian May wasd the first ever big band show I ever saw live and so I think he's great, i even like the Starfleet project EP he did.

I think I speak for a few people on here when I say I would fucking LOVE to see your music collection.

Have you got anything past 1988 at all?

I think I speak for a few people on here when I say I would fucking LOVE to see your music collection.

Have you got anything past 1988 at all?

If that's the case then you really need to get out more, many people here have seen my CD collection, I like lots of different styles and types of music, the collection in my car that I just took out included, Marillion, Fish, Queen, David Devant and his Spirit Wife, Racine, Stiltskin, Dido, Faithless, Barenaked Ladies, Transatlantic, A Day's Work, Tom Macrae, The Bays, Aziz Ibrahim and quite a few others, that encompasses a fair bit of different styles in different time periods. I like what I like and it doesnt matter to me when it was recorded, or who it was recorded by, it just matters that i enjoy it.

I can enjoy anything and it doesnt matter when it was recorded or by whom, just that it appeals, last weekend I saw one of my favourite bands doing a prog rock version of Toxic by Cathy Dennis (sung by Britney) and it was great, as were the same bands covers of Crowded House, Keane, The Move, The Beatles and Focus.

Cheers

Stuart

If that's the case then you really need to get out more, many people here have seen my CD collection, I like lots of different styles and types of music, the collection in my car that I just took out included, Marillion, Fish, Queen, David Devant and his Spirit Wife, Racine, Stiltskin, Dido, Faithless, Barenaked Ladies, Transatlantic, A Day's Work, Tom Macrae, The Bays, Aziz Ibrahim and quite a few others, that encompasses a fair bit of different styles in different time periods. I like what I like and it doesnt matter to me when it was recorded, or who it was recorded by, it just matters that i enjoy it.

I can enjoy anything and it doesnt matter when it was recorded or by whom, just that it appeals, last weekend I saw one of my favourite bands doing a prog rock version of Toxic by Cathy Dennis (sung by Britney) and it was great, as were the same bands covers of Crowded House, Keane, The Move, The Beatles and Focus.

Cheers

Stuart

I'm still wetting myself with laughter over the Def Leppard statement to even comment on your list here. Seriously, your references to bands never cease to brighten up my day.

A prog rock version of "Toxic" sounds like a classic, in all senses of the word.

Do you like Mika?

I'm still wetting myself with laughter over the Def Leppard statement to even comment on your list here. Seriously, your references to bands never cease to brighten up my day.

A prog rock version of "Toxic" sounds like a classic, in all senses of the word.

Do you like Mika?

As does your childish musical snobbery :)

I've never heard Mika so cant comment. What's so funny about my DL comment ? Def Leppard are one of the most successfull UK bands ever and absolutely superb live, the first UK band ever to sell 10,000,000 copies of 2 consecutive albums in the US, and they epitomise what music should be, good, fun and not to be taken too seriously, a form of entertainment every bit as much as an art form.

The prog version of Toxic was amazing, great guitar solo in the middle.

Cheers

Stuart

What's so funny about my DL comment ? Def Leppard are one of the most successfull UK bands ever and absolutely superb live, the first UK band ever to sell 10,000,000 copies of 2 consecutive albums in the US, and they epitomise what music should be, good, fun and not to be taken too seriously, a form of entertainment every bit as much as an art form.

I love the way you quantify a bands worth by quoting statistics, sales and how "great they are live" as if that will magically change people's opinions.

"holy shit! Def Leppard have sold 10 million copies of Hysteria - far outselling the US breakthrough album Pyromania in the process! I MUST check this band out and purchase their latest musical offering - i'll add it to my "wish list" along with Dido and Crowded House and have a look in the Asda entertainment section when I go shopping on Sunday morning!!".

If Hysteria was so fucking great then 10,000,000 Americans might be a lot happier and maybe, just maybe, have decided to not get pissed off and invade Iraq and Afghanistan. It's purely conjecture on my part that these events are directly linked - although, let's face it, I'd probably enlist just to get the fuck out of any country with 10,000,000 Def Leppard fans.

I have my doubts Brian May would agree with this.

• Upvote 1

Guest bluesxman

Let's face it, anyone who maintains that dreadful haircut past the 70's, along with the additional crime of starting to go out with a woman with exactly the same haircut and STILL not changing it, has to be a bit of a tube. But i'm no music snob, Queen have some pretty good songs in amongst a lot of horribleness.

I once went down to Alton Towers and could hear the sounds of an ongoing Def leppard gig from my hotel room that evening. Didn't convert me.

I love the way you quantify a bands worth by quoting statistics, sales and how "great they are live" as if that will magically change people's opinions.

"holy shit! Def Leppard have sold 10 million copies of Hysteria - far outselling the US breakthrough album Pyromania in the process! I MUST check this band out and purchase their latest musical offering - i'll add it to my "wish list" along with Dido and Crowded House and have a look in the Asda entertainment section when I go shopping on Sunday morning!!".

If Hysteria was so fucking great then 10,000,000 Americans might be a lot happier and maybe, just maybe, have decided to not get pissed off and invade Iraq and Afghanistan. It's purely conjecture on my part that these events are directly linked - although, let's face it, I'd probably enlist just to get the fuck out of any country with 10,000,000 Def Leppard fans.

I have my doubts Brian May would agree with this.

I wasnt trying to change your opinion, just trying to work out what was funny about my comment which was :

"Actually I think Def Leppard are excellent, one of the UK's most successfull acts ever and amazing live,"

I was just trying to back up my statement that they are, whether you like them or not are not are one of the most successful UK bands ever and how good they are to a music punter is surely quantified by how good and enjoyable they are live. I'm not sure what would be funny about someone stating they like a band so that was the only comment I could think of that could provoke such a reaction. So basically I was just trying to find out what the hell you were talking about...

Cheers

Stuart

Guest DustyDeviada
I'd probably enlist just to get the fuck out of any country with 10,000,000 Def Leppard fans.

Classic post, but apparently I have to spread my love around before I can give it to you again.

I've never accepted the argument that just because something sells a lot of copies, it has any merit. There are an awful lot of stupid people out there with no taste, that's how people like Westlife, Celine Dion, Michael Bolton and, yes, Def Leppard have careers.

To take Jester's argument to it's logical conclusion, if Def Leppard are good because 10 million people bought their records, then other acts that you endorse, say Jo McCafferty for example, must be shit because hardly anybody has bought her records in comparison to Def Leppard.

In defence of Def Leppard, their drummer with one arm is a dude. Although it is comical that they play along to backing tapes, something that was proved by a cock-up at the aforementioned Freddie Mercury tribute concert.

Classic post, but apparently I have to spread my love around before I can give it to you again.

I've never accepted the argument that just because something sells a lot of copies, it has any merit. There are an awful lot of stupid people out there with no taste, that's how people like Westlife, Celine Dion, Michael Bolton and, yes, Def Leppard have careers.

To take Jester's argument to it's logical conclusion, if Def Leppard are good because 10 million people bought their records, then other acts that you endorse, say Jo McCafferty for example, must be shit because hardly anybody has bought her records in comparison to Def Leppard.

In defence of Def Leppard, their drummer with one arm is a dude. Although it is comical that they play along to backing tapes, something that was proved by a cock-up at the aforementioned Freddie Mercury tribute concert.

You're missing the point completely, at no point have I said because they've sold a lot they're good, I'm saying you cant deny their success and that a lot of people like them, and I like them because I find them exactly what a rock band should be, catchy tunes and fun live. As for taste a lot of people say the same thing about Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits re sales, it doesn't mean you have better or worse taste, just different. I haven't said anywhere that they are a good band because they sell a lot, I used the sales to illustrate my point that they are one of the UK's most successful bands. Personally I also have nothing against Michael Bolton and Celine Dione, if people enjoy them then they're doing a good job, if you don't enjoy them dont listen, it's not my choice of music but then neither is 90% of what's touted here as the best thing ever either.

Cheers

Stuart

It occurs to me that things talked about on this web site have a habit of appearing quite high up in google results every now and then. So it's not outwith the realms of possibility that he could be searching for something to do with himself and read this thread (in fact this thread is the 2nd result if you search for Brian May Tube).

I wonder if he'll write a witty retort on his blog about it...

Guest DustyDeviada
You're missing the point completely, at no point have I said because they've sold a lot they're good, I'm saying you cant deny their success and that a lot of people like them, and I like them because I find them exactly what a rock band should be, catchy tunes and fun live. As for taste a lot of people say the same thing about Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits re sales, it doesn't mean you have better or worse taste, just different. I haven't said anywhere that they are a good band because they sell a lot, I used the sales to illustrate my point that they are one of the UK's most successful bands. Personally I also have nothing against Michael Bolton and Celine Dione, if people enjoy them then they're doing a good job, if you don't enjoy them dont listen, it's not my choice of music but then neither is 90% of what's touted here as the best thing ever either.

Cheers

Stuart

What was the point in mentioning their sales then? Nobody said that Def Leppard were not succesful, people just said they were shit. It was at that point that YOU tried to counter this view by putting forward sales figures in an attempt, albeit unsucessful, to justify your claim that they are a good band.

Guest DustyDeviada
It occurs to me that things talked about on this web site have a habit of appearing quite high up in google results every now and then. So it's not outwith the realms of possibility that he could be searching for something to do with himself and read this thread (in fact this thread is the 2nd result if you search for Brian May Tube).

I wonder if he'll write a witty retort on his blog about it...

Do you think he searches his name followed by a random insult on Google? I know I do.

For anybody who's interested, this is the number one result on Google for Brian May Tube:

Vox AC30BM Brian May Limited Edition Handwired Guitar Combo Amplifier (30 Watts, 2x12 in.) (New) (VOX-AC30BM) - PriceGrabber.com

And just out of interest, here's the number one result for Brian May knob:

Brian May Red Special Pedal

What was the point in mentioning their sales then? Nobody said that Def Leppard were not succesful, people just said they were shit. It was at that point that YOU tried to counter this view by putting forward sales figures in an attempt, albeit unsucessful, to justify your claim that they are a good band.

I explained this, French Disko said that he found my comment hilarious about Def Leppard, I'm not quite sure why someone could find a comment a band was great live so funny, or that someone liked a band, so the only non-opinion piece he could have been commenting on was my comment about them being successful which I backed up by my comments, which is why I mentioned the sales. I was backing up my comment which led on from your comment that Def Leppard weren't a great act, I was countering that they were great live, enjoyable and successful which imo makes them a great act. There's a difference between shit and something that you dont like, I was just backing up why I thought they were great and then countering French Disko's comment. If sales meant so much and were a yardstick for good I wouldnt be a Fish fan would i :up:

Cheers

Stuart

Guest DustyDeviada
I explained this, French Disko said that he found my comment hilarious about Def Leppard, I'm not quite sure why someone could find a comment a band was great live so funny, or that someone liked a band, so the only non-opinion piece he could have been commenting on was my comment about them being successful which I backed up by my comments, which is why I mentioned the sales. I was backing up my comment which led on from your comment that Def Leppard weren't a great act, I was countering that they were great live, enjoyable and successful which imo makes them a great act. There's a difference between shit and something that you dont like, I was just backing up why I thought they were great and then countering French Disko's comment. If sales meant so much and were a yardstick for good I wouldnt be a Fish fan would i :up:

Cheers

Stuart

He could well have found your comment about them being an excellent live band funny given the fact that they clearly play along to backing tapes of their harmony vocals. They got caught out at the Freddie Mercury Tribute when their click track went through the PA by mistake.