aberdeen-music

[GIG] Oi Polloi + more @ East Neuk

MitchPact

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jake Wifebeater
These particular folks, though they did release a full length through WOW, were not at all well known and quickly disappeared from view. From Scotland I think making use of traditional folk sounds and intruments. Have scoured the web for info, but to no avail.

*racks brains*

Was it AOA? I can't rest until the mystery is solved.

Has just occurred to me that the last time Oi Polloi appeared at The East Neuk was at a show I'd co-arranged March '92. Not their best performance as I'm sure Deek would be the first to admit. Then members Ewan and Daz hailed from these parts. Some here may recall Daz from his time with local death metal folks Obelisk.

Daz the drummer, aye? Top lad, still see him quite a lot. He now works for John Henry's in London, supplying backline to the stars. He keeps phoning me up to tell me he's 'playing on Bonham's old kit' and all sorts. Bastard. Last story he told me was he was backstage somewhere feeling like shite when some grizzled old roadie came up and asked if he was OK. When he said no, the roadie popped a pill in his mouth and said 'There ye go, you'll be fine now'. He quickly realised he'd just been 'medicated' by Hawkwind's roadie. He was 'fine' for the next three days...

Never realized East Neuk had been hosting gigs for that long.

I played my first ever gig in The Neuk. In fact we used to practise in there too, as our singer's Dad owned it. Not sure what year that would be, but it was before the 90s... And guess what it looked like then? exactly. the. fucking. same. - seriously, the furniture, the decorations, the huge owl, even down to the bar staff... Got to love the place.

Daz the drummer, aye? Top lad, still see him quite a lot. He now works for John Henry's in London, supplying backline to the stars. He keeps phoning me up to tell me he's 'playing on Bonham's old kit' and all sorts. Bastard. Last story he told me was he was backstage somewhere feeling like shite when some grizzled old roadie came up and asked if he was OK. When he said no, the roadie popped a pill in his mouth and said 'There ye go, you'll be fine now'. He quickly realised he'd just been 'medicated' by Hawkwind's roadie. He was 'fine' for the next three days...

From humble beginnings, but man, that's just so cool that you're still in touch. Don't know if he'd remember me - we haven't spoken since 1992, but do tell him David said hi.

I played my first ever gig in The Neuk. In fact we used to practise in there too, as our singer's Dad owned it. Not sure what year that would be, but it was before the 90s... And guess what it looked like then? exactly. the. fucking. same. - seriously, the furniture, the decorations, the huge owl, even down to the bar staff... Got to love the place.

lol Yeah, it hasn't changed at all.

Aye somehow the neuk doesn't look like it's been decorated in a few decades but still a nice wee DIY venue to get a good gig out of.:up:

• 2 weeks later...

Nike

nestor, person who posts in this thread....

you have been seen, three times i believe, wearing your nike trainers.

1. walking up King Street, Aberdeen (scowling)

2.at home, dancing

3.at a gig, sucking the life out of the room (uncomfirmed at present)

can you either confirm or deny these allegations please?

cheers in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Get down there early to catch the very first appearance of....well i'm not sure if we've 100% decided on our name...but nevermind. Featuring members of the upstarts, contra and ex-civil might, and introducing amy thain on saxophone, come and see what none of the fuss is about.

My first time seeing oi polloi, i'm excited

Get down there early to catch the very first appearance of....well i'm not sure if we've 100% decided on our name...but nevermind. Featuring members of the upstarts, contra and ex-civil might, and introducing amy thain on saxophone, come and see what none of the fuss is about.

My first time seeing oi polloi, i'm excited

Lookin' forward to seeing you folks.

And regarding Oi Polloi? You won't be disappointed.