aberdeen-music

[GIG] Oi Polloi + more @ East Neuk

MitchPact

BBRX Presents:

Thurs 29/03/07 - Oi Polloi + Support

Legendary Anarcho Punx return to the granite city for the first time in over 5 years:

http://www.myspace.com/oipolloialba

Other gigs coming up spring 2007, put em in your diaries:

Sun 15/04/07 - Auktion + Support

Rocknroll infused Swedish d-beat:

http://www.myspace.com/auktion

Thurs 24/05/07 - Step On It + Support

Hungarian thrashcore return to wreak havoc:

http://www.myspace.com/steponitallschool

ALL GIGS AT THE EAST NEUK, 132 KING ST - DOORS 7:30pm, ENTRY 4.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, it's gonna be so cool catching Oi Polloi again, and while I have left this particular community, oldies such as OP - that is those who sprang from the 80s DIY anarcho punk community, are still very important to me, and, despite my feelings regarding the scene today, continue to inspire and excite. But hey, don't wanna get in to that again, just looking forward to catching this show.

Has just occurred to me that the last time Oi Polloi appeared at The East Neuk was at a show I'd co-arranged March '92. Not their best performance as I'm sure Deek would be the first to admit. Then members Ewan and Daz hailed from these parts. Some here may recall Daz from his time with local death metal folks Obelisk.

Has just occurred to me that the last time Oi Polloi appeared at The East Neuk was at a show I'd co-arranged March '92.

Never realized East Neuk had been hosting gigs for that long.

But definatly be there like, was wanting to catch them down in edinburgh but ill just wait till they're up here now.:up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Some here may recall Daz from his time with local death metal folks Obelisk.

That indeed rings a bell, caught Obelisk at Caesar's in '91 as part of the "Thrash Of The Tartans" show, my first local gig, I think. There was also a HC band called Brain Damage playing.

Anyway, Oi Polloi live are always good so, as they say on here, I'm sooooooooo there.

That indeed rings a bell, caught Obelisk at Caesar's in '91 as part of the "Thrash Of The Tartans" show, my first local gig, I think. There was also a HC band called Brain Damage playing.

I had intended to make that show, but due to my falling ill, couldn't. Just cannot recall the Words Of Warning act who appeared, and who I think played several shows with Obelisk across Scotland. Quite a clash of styles as I remember.

Saw Obelisk just once. 1991 I think. T and I had arranged a show at The East Neuk for Middlesbrough punks Embittered. Asked Daz if Obelisk would like to play too.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I had intended to make that show, but due to my falling ill, couldn't. Just cannot recall the Words Of Warning act who appeared, and who I think played several shows with Obelisk across Scotland. Quite a clash of styles as I remember.

Ooh, the only WOW acts I can think of from then are Terminus and Pleasant Valley Children. Maybe one of those two? Don't think it was the Blaggers somehow.........

Ooh, the only WOW acts I can think of from then are Terminus and Pleasant Valley Children. Maybe one of those two? Don't think it was the Blaggers somehow.........

These particular folks, though they did release a full length through WOW, were not at all well known and quickly disappeared from view. From Scotland I think making use of traditional folk sounds and intruments. Have scoured the web for info, but to no avail.

And talking of WOW acts, AOS3 are back, and with a new album coming soon. Man, this is exciting news. For more info check 'em out on Myspace here: www.myspace.com/aos3. Think RDF, Culture Shock et al. Just loving Zion Train collaboration Something Must Be Done right now. Brilliant. Caught 'em with Citizen Fish and Decadent Few '93.

For all those that don't know Oi Polloi by the way, here's a video fo them covering Crass's "Greatest Working Class Rip-Off" on Cramond Isle of Punk 2006

Caught this vid online, and a fine one it is too. And while the quality of most live anarcho vids is often quite poor, this one is just great.

And if folks purchase just one Oi Polloi release, then make it this one: 169 Oi Polloi - Pigs for Slaughter A "Best Of" if you like, and which includes this very track.

And while the quality of most live anarcho vids is often quite poor, this one is just great.
I think the video was filmed on a high quality camera by some Taiwanese artists which were doing exhibitions at Glenfiddich distillery and came along to the gig on the island for the experience. Really nice people and the video is an added bonus.