aberdeen-music

Type O vs Tom Waits vs Crash Test Dummies

Hog

Guest bluesxman

I haven't listened to Bloody Kisses in a fair while but I imagine Marian or any number of songs off First And Last And Always by Sisters Of Mercy must run it close. Tom Waits isn't deep voiced half the time, just needs some cough sweeties :D

As for highest, Minnie Riperton maybe?

YouTube - Minnie Riperton-Loving you

Apparently, the highest note sung by the human voice and (recorded and distributed) is in "Someday" by Mariah Carey.

Coincidently, I read an article on the Highest Vocal recently somewhere - can't for the life of me think where but it was either Mojo, Uncut or The Observer Music Monthly. Got a strange feeling that it was the issue of Mojo with Joy Division on the cover.

From Vocal range - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As noted above, claims of exceptionally wide vocal ranges are not uncommon among some singers. In 2006 the Guinness Book of Records published several categories relating to extremes of "Human vocal range." It stated the following:

Females

Highest Belt: Patti LaBelle: Bb6

Greatest range: Eight octaves G2-G10, Georgia Brown, Brazil

Highest vocal note: G10, Georgia Brown, Brazil

Males

Greatest range:Six octaves, Tim Storms, USA

Highest vocal note: C#8 Adam Lopez, Australia

Lowest vocal note: B-2 (minus 2, two octaves below the grand staff), Tim Storms, USA

Guinness also lists the highest demanded note in the classical repertoire as G6 in 'Popoli di Tessaglia,' a concert aria by W. A. Mozart and the lowest demanded note in the classical repertoire as a "Low D" (two Ds below Middle C) in Osmin's aria in Mozart's Die Entfhrung aus dem Serail."

Although Osmin's note is the lowest demanded and commonly performed in the operatic repertoire, Mahler's second symphony contains an optional Bb1 in the choral section at the end of the piece: basses who cannot reach it are requested to remain silent rather than sing a Bb2. Leonard Bernstein's Candide has an optional low B (a minor third below the low D) in a bass aria of its opera house version. Some choral works and songs also call for notes lower than the low D. Similarly, at the upper end several little-known works call for pitches higher than G6. For example, the soprano Mado Robin, who was known for her exceptionally high voice, sang a number of compositions created especially to exploit her highest notes, reaching C7 according to the Concise Oxford Dictionary of Opera (edited by Harold Rosenthal).

Meriting special mention, as it is more well-known than any of those works, is another by Mozart, the aria "Der Hlle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen" (sometimes called "The Queen of the Night's aria," though this character actually has two arias) from the opera Die Zauberflte. It calls for an F6 and is often cited as the highest note in classical music. This is of course not strictly true, but it is the highest note demanded in the standard operatic repertoire.

The guy from Type O Negative has effects on his vocals as well. I agree, it does sound "treated", but looking at the video there doesn't seem to be any manually activated device that manipulates Zappa's voice, unless it was a pedal hooked up to the microphone out of shot.

As a side-note, that performance was meant to be an affectionate dig at Tom Waits, who was signed to Zappa's label at the time and was, I believe, the support act on that tour. I know you're a fan. :)

Hehe, ya cheeky devil.:up:

One thing I noticed when seeing Type O live was that Pete Steele never attempted the real low notes. Who knows.