aberdeen-music

Buying a car advice?

Hog

Click here for Whar Car's reliability ratings.

Take these with a pinch of salt though....apparently, Subaru are one of the more unreliable marques, yet Subaru's are well known for being amongst the MOST reliable.

I would definitely challenge that, having owned a few Imprezas, but the costs ARE astronomical for maintenance and repair.

Seats and Skodas are excellent value for money

Guest DustyDeviada
I'm selling a great VW Golf Hog ;) P reg, lovely motor, need a new exhaust though, perfect for a man about town like yourself :p Worth a try...

Remember if you do buy it you will need to budget at least a couple of grand to get Rentokill to fumigate it before humans can get in it. ;)

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Hog, what age was the A6? What engine? I had heard stories of computer nightmares but I don't think it's a common problem with Audi/VWs. My A4 has been a pleasure to run for the last 7 months, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever so far. It all depends on what you want on reliability from a car. Are you seeking an alternative to the A6 estate or something different? Would it need to be as big? Are you wanting a new buy or used? You should spend some time on Parker's, it really is the tits and has so much information about pretty much every car on the road.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
My mum's audi had the same problem. It was in and out of the garage a million times with various problems before they realised it was the computer they needed to replace. She replaced it with a golf and it's still going strong six years later (replacement is on the way.)

What makes you think VW's computer is any different? Audi, VW, Porsche, Seat & Skoda all run on similar components as they are all owned by the VAG.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Mostly rubbish defunct 90s Japanese motors

Why did you only show the rubbish ones?!

I would disagree that Japanese motors don't have character. I find the German character more agreeable :up:

Hog, what age was the A6? What engine? I had heard stories of computer nightmares but I don't think it's a common problem with Audi/VWs. My A4 has been a pleasure to run for the last 7 months, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever so far. It all depends on what you want on reliability from a car. Are you seeking an alternative to the A6 estate or something different? Would it need to be as big? Are you wanting a new buy or used? You should spend some time on Parker's, it really is the tits and has so much information about pretty much every car on the road.

Its 3years old with around 50,000 miles on the clock. Most of the probs are to do with the computer (it has even stopped my car going above 10 miles per hour).

Im probably after something similar but without a computer which doesn't work. I do need a big car to take my photo backgrounds.

Cheers for the link, I will check it out.:up:

Hardly...

250px-DC5ITR.jpg

tnNismo-Nissan-Skyline-R34-GTR-Z-Tune-2005_03.jpg

rx7-main.jpg

honda_nsx.jpg

nissan%20350z%20vorne%20400x300.jpg

We were talking estate cars min!!!!

Dah change the fuckin' goalposts !!!

Anyhoo - I've owned two of those listed and a few more plastic missiles to boot - as well as over 30 bikes. Japanese performance cars and bikes are the dogs (reliable too), their "ordinary" cars are fucking McGeechie Boggin.

• 3 weeks later...
What makes you think VW's computer is any different? Audi, VW, Porsche, Seat & Skoda all run on similar components as they are all owned by the VAG.

Porsche aren't owned by VAG...they actually have the controlling interest in VW.

Although VW & Audi share similar components many are different. If Hog's engine is an Audi only unit then it is likely that the ECU is different from anything in the VW range.

Personal preferences on manufacturers are: VW, Audi, Toyota (bullet proof!!!!) and Honda. All from experience. If I were buying a sensible car just now I would look at:

VW Golf Mk4 GT-TDI: Not the cheapest option but being used it is always going to make more sense than buying new. The Pump Deuce VW engines provide amazing amounts of power a torque and are probably the reason Diesel is in fashion. Look for a 130bhp or 150bhp version for smile factor...both in performance and fuel economy.

Honda Accord: New one is classy...well built...and Honda have probably THE best range of naturally aspirated engines available today. Their diesels are also really good and on a par with VW if not better.

Skoda Octavia VRS: 1.8 Turbo unit which is used in many VAG cars...from Golfs to Audi S3's. 180bhp should be enough power to lug loads and if you drive it off boost it should return good MPG. Skoda do a 4x4 version of the Octavia estate which apprently has plenty of pep...Skoda are getting a better rep...but I'd still buy VW myself.

If you are feeling a little mad you could get a T5 Volvo. Friend of mine just bought the 850 R...it is HUGE...fast...comfy...only down side is the 20-30mpg fuel economy. I've also been in a the N/A 20v version which has 170bhp...not quick but smooth...again diesel might be a good option. There is a reason the police use Volvo's.

My dad has an Audi A6 Avant and I think it's great. No problems as yet and it ticks all the right boxes.

I'm not sensible so I have a Polo G40 in the making...830kg's and 170bhp...have 'at!