aberdeen-music

Buying a car advice?

Hog

I spent quite a lot on an Audi A6 and I think its shit (yes, what a waste of money). Every month its in the garage (usually computer/wiring problems). Anyway, I have had enough, anyone got suggestions regarding an alternative? I think Hyundai are shit but they do have a 5 year guarantee, Saab are boring looking but are good cars. Suggestions?

do NOT buy japanese!

Thing is most people are delighted with Audi's. You may just have a car that's slightly rogue. My last car was brand new and I had six months of problems before It got smoothed out. However my new car is also brand new and in the year I have had it I have have had zero problems. Depends what your budget is really.

Saab are a great option and we have had many in our family for as long as I can remember. They are VERY costly to service so bear that in mind but you'll be used to that what with having an Audi.

Again, do not buy Japanese, you may as well have a sign on your head saying "Hey, I have no personality!!"

Saab are a great option and we have had many in our family for as long as I can remember. They are VERY costly to service so bear that in mind but you'll be used to that what with having an Audi.

That depends on the model of Saab. I had an old one for years & apart from being a bit heavy on petrol, it was an excellent, solid & well designed car which was not that bad to service - Just don't go to a Saab dealer unless you have to! Saab usually reduce the price of parts for older mdels & you can usually source them from pattern makers no problem. Brake calipers in particular can be expensive but things like clutches were the exact opposite. Having them on the front of the engine meant they could be changed very cheaply. :)

Smaller VW's are also very good value & quite cheap to run, if you go to independants & use firms like German Sweedish & French for parts.

I'm currently driving a German designed & built Far-Eastern car. What does that say about my personality? :D

Mind you, I prefer bikes & my choices there - European, probably say more!

Every month its in the garage (usually computer/wiring problems).

My mum's audi had the same problem. It was in and out of the garage a million times with various problems before they realised it was the computer they needed to replace. She replaced it with a golf and it's still going strong six years later (replacement is on the way.)

I spent quite a lot on an Audi A6 and I think its shit (yes, what a waste of money). Every month its in the garage (usually computer/wiring problems). Anyway, I have had enough, anyone got suggestions regarding an alternative? I think Hyundai are shit but they do have a 5 year guarantee, Saab are boring looking but are good cars. Suggestions?

i drive a hyundai lantra 1.6 and its a fantastic car - has never let me down (yet) has a nice bit of power and is a pretty smooth ride. but i know feck all about cars i just drive em till they wont drive anymore!

I agree with votes for Honda or VW although Hondas can be quite thirsty. Perhaps you should also consider a Skoda, the build quality is as good a VW just they don't look so cool.

Scott - do not buy - LEASE !!!

That way, maintenance and depreciation are not your problem.

We have started a leasing option in my office as part of the overall package and there's been quite an interest.

You may be eligible for some tax breaks if it's a business car.

Marque-wise here's my take on some of the majors (for once, I actually know what I'm talking about!)

British - Bargepole, shit residuals

French - Weird, but OK, poor residuals

Japanese - Reliable and well-specced, but characterless. Poor residuals, apart from Honda

BMW/Audi - Well-built and generally reilable, but when they break, they break BIG-TIME

SAAB - My "weapon of choice". Oustanding build quality, reliability and not too ubiquitous

Ford - Yawn

All these boulie-basher ned mobiles*** are the same - farting oil cans with the life expectancy of a gnat.

*** not suggesting you are either ;)

Cheek! haha

It was purely a car to learn in then a slave to go to work etc for a while.

I would never put a stupid exhaust like a boy racer on a car, its generally a good way to kill some of the power unless its picked very carefully.

Click here for Whar Car's reliability ratings.

The average car has a rating of 112......higher numbers = lower reliability and vice versa.

Take these with a pinch of salt though....apparently, Subaru are one of the more unreliable marques, yet Subaru's are well known for being amongst the MOST reliable.

Mazda are listed as one of the most reliable.....just try telling that to anyone who's owned an MX5.

Interesting to note that Audi are thought to be much less reliable than Skoda, VW and Seat, even though all 4 are made with many of the same components.

Interesting to note that Audi are thought to be much less reliable than Skoda, VW and Seat, even though all 4 are made with many of the same components.

Different factories though. It is said Skoda's factory has even better quality control than the VW plant.