aberdeen-music

Sky Broadband

Marsh

Just got all the gubbins working - had to uninstall IE7 and use 6 instead. No big deal - I hated 7 anyway!

Anyways;

8meg broadband

Free wireless router

Free 12 months McAfee Security Centre

40GB download cap per month

For a fiver a month! (You need to have a Sky TV subscription and keep it for 12 months)

It's absolutely brilliant - just severed all ties with Tiscali and this is so much better - it's the fastest broadband i've seen! This site just "came up" instantly and everything else seems super - quick.

I would recommend it to everyone who can take advantage of it.

Guest Neutral
Just got all the gubbins working - had to uninstall IE7 and use 6 instead. No big deal - I hated 7 anyway!

Anyways;

8meg broadband

Free wireless router

Free 12 months McAfee Security Centre

40GB download cap per month

For a fiver a month! (You need to have a Sky TV subscription and keep it for 12 months)

It's absolutely brilliant - just severed all ties with Tiscali and this is so much better - it's the fastest broadband i've seen! This site just "came up" instantly and everything else seems super - quick.

I would recommend it to everyone who can take advantage of it.

for those who would say "40GB download cap per month WTF??"

10gb per week

20mb per day for normal internet traffic(msn, bebo, email, general viewing)

the rest of it on downloads which can equal a cd per day(650mb) of downloaded data

but at 37 per month it is a bit pricey

It's nae 37 a month!

I count it as 5 as it is, well, 5 extra a month for broadband. - the Sky TV part is irrelevant, as i'd be paying it anyway.

Are you getting 37 from the "26 for TV and 5 for broadband rental that is advertised on the site? Or by adding Sky Talk? This is just an offer to tempt new customers. I don't have Sky Talk and will never take it. The 5 broadband offer is open to all existing Sky customers who agree to a 12 month broadband contract. This means someone picking two mixes for 16 can take advantage of the offer - 16 + 5 = 21.

The nearest offers I can find (there's bound to be others, but for a quick comparison) is Eclipse Broadband Option 3 which is 29.99 per month with a 40GB cap or AOL has "unlimited" 8MB broadband for 29.99, but we all know how "unlimited" this would be.

It's a superb offer and I cannot believe how fast it is and now i've got a swanky wireless router and 12 months Security centre free. Most pleasing.

P.S. I don't work for Sky :up:

So, just to clarify, do you reckon 40gb is enough for P2P?

Apparently Sky also has an unlimited option for another 5.

Depends how much you are downloading! For most folk it'll be enough unless you are downloading entire seasons of Prison Break or whatever turns you on!

The 10 full monty package is not available in Aberdeen yet - I was told it would be May at the earleist. It's 16MB - can you imagine how fast that would be?! I'm not sure if the Aberdeen exchanges could handle this speed yet? But as you say it's billed as "unlimited" - however I'd beware of "unlimited broadband" - it simply doesn't exist.

Guest Neutral
It's nae 37 a month!

I count it as 5 as it is, well, 5 extra a month for broadband. - the Sky TV part is irrelevant, as i'd be paying it anyway.

Are you getting 37 from the "26 for TV and 5 for broadband rental that is advertised on the site? Or by adding Sky Talk? This is just an offer to tempt new customers. I don't have Sky Talk and will never take it. The 5 broadband offer is open to all existing Sky customers who agree to a 12 month broadband contract. This means someone picking two mixes for 16 can take advantage of the offer - 16 + 5 = 21.

The nearest offers I can find (there's bound to be others, but for a quick comparison) is Eclipse Broadband Option 3 which is 29.99 per month with a 40GB cap or AOL has "unlimited" 8MB broadband for 29.99, but we all know how "unlimited" this would be.

It's a superb offer and I cannot believe how fast it is and now i've got a swanky wireless router and 12 months Security centre free. Most pleasing.

P.S. I don't work for Sky :up:

I was looking at sky talk on the homepage

27 then you have to add 11 line rental - im assuming the same about your offer

I was looking at sky talk on the homepage

27 then you have to add 11 line rental - im assuming the same about your offer

No - Sky Talk is not needed. I certainly don't have it and have no intentions of getting it.

As long as you have an active Sky TV connection and are in a covered area you are entitled to Sky Broadband for 5 a month regardless of what "variety mix" you have or whether you have Sky Talk.

From the sky site:

"What is Sky Broadband Mid?

Sky Broadband Mid* is perfect if you're a regular internet user and want to download music and short video clips. With up to 8Mb download speed and a 40GB monthly usage allowance, it's just 5 per month for Sky TV customers (plus a one-off 20 activation fee).

*Sky Broadband Mid availability and speeds are subject to your location, compatible line, equipment and survey."

Not easy to find though and it does give the impression on the other pages that this broadband option is only available as a package with sky talk.

The nearest offers I can find (there's bound to be others, but for a quick comparison) is Eclipse Broadband Option 3 which is 29.99 per month with a 40GB cap ...

Not true, I'm with Eclipse. I get 8meg with no cap and it costs me 15 per month + VAT.

It's absolutely great, the customer service is awesome too.

Not true, I'm with Eclipse. I get 8meg with no cap and it costs me 15 per month + VAT.

It's absolutely great, the customer service is awesome too.

Where'd you get that?

I'm am seriously fed up with my ISP, i'm stuck on 100kbps speed during peak times cos they've screwed something up (for all customers on my package) and seem very hesitant to fix it or even tell us whats wrong.

I need to move now.

What kind of peak speeds do you get? It sounds a very similar product to what i'm on at the moment but i'm getting throttled to death because i'm low level priority traffic or something? Don't want to move and find its the same there.

(checked out the eclipse user forum on thinkbroadband and it wasn't sounding good)

It's not bad to get a stable 2.7 on MaxDSL though, particularly in light of a lot of the problems that various people have had with it.

It's better than nothing, I agree, but when paying for an 8meg connection it seems a bit of a waste. Although saying that it costs the same as some 1meg connections, so fair doos.

It's better than nothing, I agree, but when paying for an 8meg connection it seems a bit of a waste. Although saying that it costs the same as some 1meg connections, so fair doos.

It's miles better than what i'm getting right now. (on a 8MB line, capable of 5.5MBish)

Download Speed: 247 kbps (30.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 102 kbps (12.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Not convinced Eclipse is a good deal though, anyone had any experience with NewNet?