aberdeen-music

Room/lock up/anything suitable for band practice *wanted*

stevealex35

My band and I are desperatly seeking for somewhere decent to practice. At the moment we are practicing at home, which really isnt very inspiring! I have not looked into this much yet, but does any one know of any places that would be suitable for renting + converting into a practice place for bands? Also, we already have alot of equipment which we could use - a PA, drum kit, guitar amps, mic, mic stands etc...

We used to practice in a lock up down at the harbour, which was excellent until it got shut down. some where similar to that would be ace!

Would really appreciate some help :)

Thanks

My band and I are desperatly seeking for somewhere decent to practice. At the moment we are practicing at home, which really isnt very inspiring! I have not looked into this much yet, but does any one know of any places that would be suitable for renting + converting into a practice place for bands? Also, we already have alot of equipment which we could use - a PA, drum kit, guitar amps, mic, mic stands etc...

We used to practice in a lock up down at the harbour, which was excellent until it got shut down. some where similar to that would be ace!

Would really appreciate some help :)

Thanks

Steve and Dave spent most of last year searching for a place but no such luck.

It's kinda hard with strict noise control laws that are going about.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kilgore Trout

i looked into this last year, fount a couple of "vaults" below market street. looked good- but too expensive for me. it might be an option if you could get more bands involved or have loads of cash. it gets tricky with other bands though , they might be nobs and not pay/ think its better to get wasted than play and wreck your stuff etc/ get you into bother with noise levels, etc.

good luck with the quest though.

Have a word with Stanley. They own a a tunnel down by the Shore Porters. Just ask if they have a free day a week you could get in. I think they might do because i don't think Kenetic practice there anymore.

How did they manage that?

We were in the shore porters tunnel and that's when the whole nosie environment thing kicked off.

How did they manage that?

We were in the shore porters tunnel and that's when the whole nosie environment thing kicked off.

Im not sure, they are in the old exile. I think they can only do full band rehearsals at night, but we were in recording from 10am and then some nights not leaving till about 1am.

As it's a studio it's also fully sound-proofed so i guess if Mr Environmental Health Inspector went up there with his decibel meter they'd be within acceptable parameters.

Yeh, never realised it was old exile.

The person that closed the lock up was a lady by the way Phil;)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure I heard that Eric Euan had access to one of the market street vaults as that's where Bill Ely recorded their CD.

I could have heard all wrong though and caught the wrong end of the stick.

you have indeed...

eric euan practice in a zepplin high above the city which is only reachable by a knotted rope, teathered at a secret location... a secret location which is not visable to the human eye...

the 'vault' you refer to was infact a staged set constructed onboard the zepplin... bill ely were led to believe they were on market street thanks to the use of revolutionary techniques in mind control and hypnotic suggestion...

aham

you have indeed...

eric euan practice in a zepplin high above the city which is only reachable by a knotted rope, teathered at a secret location... a secret location which is not visable to the human eye...

the 'vault' you refer to was infact a staged set constructed onboard the zepplin... bill ely were led to believe they were on market street thanks to the use of revolutionary techniques in mind control and hypnotic suggestion...

these "revolutionary techniques in mind control and hypnotic suggestion" he's talking about are otherwise known as "dodgy kebabs"

But to be honest they can't get enough of them.

• 2 weeks later...
As it's a studio it's also fully sound-proofed so i guess if Mr Environmental Health Inspector went up there with his decibel meter they'd be within acceptable parameters.

you couldnt be further from the truth.

There is no sound proofing in that room baring the small amount between the office and the main room.

The reason that room wasnt shut down is because they were not holding gigs inside thier veunue and pissing off the old folks that lived across the road. Also that room is inside the building and not right on the edge so i would imagine that would help.

The noise levels were never really an issue before that happened, i can remember ben running that place for a long time with no noise issues, not that im having a go at those who did the gigs i thought they were a great idea but they were the reason the place got shut down.

• 1 year later...

There is no sound proofing in that room baring the small amount between the office and the main room. That room is inside the building and not right on the edge so i would imagine that would help...

word

... the gigs ...were the reason the place got shut down.
word x 2

• 1 month later...
Thanks for that sterling contribution over a year since the thread was active.

oh sorry!!

either:

a) start archiving old threads as soon as they become irrelevant / you see them as being old,

2) make the last post date more obvious (big red font after it's a month old or something), or

d) stop fucking moaning everytime someone replies to an old thread.

gad.

• Upvote 1

There is no sound proofing in that room baring the small amount between the office and the main room.

The reason that room wasnt shut down is because they were not holding gigs inside thier veunue and pissing off the old folks that lived across the road. Also that room is inside the building and not right on the edge so i would imagine that would help.

The noise levels were never really an issue before that happened, i can remember ben running that place for a long time with no noise issues, not that im having a go at those who did the gigs i thought they were a great idea but they were the reason the place got shut down.

If this is referring to the shore porters lock up, I held a gig in there before it got shut down. I apologised and everything. Only to be told later that all noise complaints came from in the afternoon, i think on a Monday. Which is when Statue of Misery practiced with the doors open.

Steve Upstart/Hijacks who was running the place at the time checked and there were no complaints made on the night of the gig. Probabaly cos we were all pretty strict about people not gathering outside and making sure you didnt open the door while bands were playing.

• 4 months later...
If this is referring to the shore porters lock up, I held a gig in there before it got shut down. I apologised and everything. Only to be told later that all noise complaints came from in the afternoon, i think on a Monday. Which is when Statue of Misery practiced with the doors open.

Steve Upstart/Hijacks who was running the place at the time checked and there were no complaints made on the night of the gig. Probabaly cos we were all pretty strict about people not gathering outside and making sure you didnt open the door while bands were playing.

well if im wrong im glad to be :)

As i said i loved the idea of the gigs in there just a shame the council didnt see it the same way.

P.S sorry chris for bringing back this old thread.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
oh sorry!!

either:

a) start archiving old threads as soon as they become irrelevant / you see them as being old,

2) make the last post date more obvious (big red font after it's a month old or something), or

d) stop fucking moaning everytime someone replies to an old thread.

gad.

a) take .5 seconds out of your hectic lifestyle to read the thread that you're replying to, or don't reply at all

2) try getting your eyes tested

d) stop fucking wasting bandwith and forum users' time by replying to old threads

r) what kind of bulletpoint list is a) 2) d) ?!

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
a) take .5 seconds out of your hectic lifestyle to read the thread that you're replying to, or don't reply at all

2) try getting your eyes tested

d) stop fucking wasting bandwith and forum users' time by replying to old threads

r) what kind of bulletpoint list is a) 2) d) ?!

Ha! I read that and didn't even notice the dodgy bullet list...... :)