aberdeen-music

Guitar teacher required

JenJen

I need tutors with exams behind them. Ideally grade eight but others will also be concidered depending on their playing experience.

DZL - I'll be happy to talk to you about this when I see you - as I remember from one of our conversations your theory was good !

I mean teaching qualifications. Not having a go, but someone having Grade 8 means they can play a bit, but doesn't necessarily mean they can teach...

Eperience in teaching an instrument is far far more important to me than a piece of paper stating that someone has a teaching diploma. I have met many musicians with teaching diplomas who I certainly could not sit with for a one to one lesson yet there are many more musicians on the other hand who have not got the teaching diploma but have a great relationship with their pupils and put things accross in a great way and treat each person as an individual.

Jennifer

Eperience in teaching an instrument is far far more important to me than a piece of paper stating that someone has a teaching diploma. I have met many musicians with teaching diplomas who I certainly could not sit with for a one to one lesson yet there are many more musicians on the other hand who have not got the teaching diploma but have a great relationship with their pupils and put things accross in a great way and treat each person as an individual.

Jennifer

I would second that (and I'm not angling ;) ). I've had a few tutors over the years and qualifications & playing ability are no guarantee of teaching ability - it's the same in any walk of life I suppose.

I might be able to do Wednesday nights. I don't have transport but my dad teaches down the road from you on Wednesday nights also so lift sharing is possible.

I am 19.

I did Grade 8 guitar last year. Also have Grade 5 and 6 theory. Did 'Access to Music Degree' course at Aberdeen college also. Currently studying Scottish Diploma in Jazz at St Andrews (distance learning course). Also been on a Jamie Abersold Jazzwise Summerschool and have Advanced Higher Music.

I also play piano but not at a level to teach with, yet.

Planning on sitting an ICMA teaching diploma at some point this year.

I read music, not as well as I would like but I am improving. I also have made some of my own teaching materials already.

Qualifications and playing ability doesn't necessarily translate into someone being a good teacher. I do however believe I am at an advantance having had number of great teachers myself. This means I copy teaching methods that I know work really well.

I would definately be up for this. I'm 19 & have been playing just over 5 years now. I'm free most evenings and am quite flexible. I haven't taught anyone formally, but I have given lesson to my little brother and to friends who have taken up the instrument. I think my friend (who's in my band) works for you guys already? Scott Thompson? Ask him and he'll give me a reference :up:

Andy