aberdeen-music

musical vision or toms?

timson

I've used both.

Musical vision is cheaper, especially if you take a 3 hour session instead of a 2 hour iirc.

I'm not sure what amps you get in toms these days, but last time I was there it was still the crappy laney TFs. Musical Vision has always given us at least one JCM900 (with cabs at ear level) - I think theres a roland JC120 there too.

Bass amp in Musical Vision is a soundcity head with a horn load woofer and a 2x12 guitar cab

Drum kits in Toms are excellent imho, always well tuned and sound ace. Drum kit in Musical Vision is in passable condition, its a pearl forum. I'm not sure if you can hire their cymbals.

Vocal amplification in toms is mostly sennheiser mics iirc, some good, some entry level, most people cant tell the difference in the range so results can vary. Desks in toms range from a really old peavey to some not so old peaveys, some rooms have the nice UL/Hisys system and some have crappy sounding speakers.

Vocal amplification in Musical Vision is a modern peavey powered head with hisys speakers, and an assortment of 58, 57 and akg mics.

Its been a couple months since I've been to musical vision and some time since I was last at toms so all this might have changed. Toms gives you a bigger room which is nice for not having to squeeze past the kit and dodge radiators and crap on the floor all the time, and generally has less feedback potential for the vocal mics I reckon. But I reckon Musical Visions solid value for the money.

I think I should also point out that for all time times we've practised there we've only ever been given the same room.

I'm sorry but i'm gonna have to disagree.

I used to hate Toms and thus used the Foyer.. The Foyers amps broke down...

So tried the cheap and new musical vision, the engineer on hand was grumpy even though we'd booked 3 hours we set up and within 5 notes through a bass amp it started smoking..... The engineer then took the amp away moaning, we packed up paid for an hour and left.

I would go Toms personally that is from my own experience. However I know those that use Musical Vision regularly and I probaly just caught it all on a bad day.

So tried the cheap and new musical vision, the engineer on hand was grumpy even though we'd booked 3 hours we set up and within 5 notes through a bass amp it started smoking..... The engineer then took the amp away moaning, we packed up paid for an hour and left.

I would go Toms personally that is from my own experience. However I know those that use Musical Vision regularly and I probaly just caught it all on a bad day.

i have to agree, toms is really relyable. and plenty of space:rockon:

He was probably moaning becasue the bass amp broke. Most people would.

When did you practice at MV was it a while back?

• 2 months later...
He was probably moaning becasue the bass amp broke. Most people would.

When did you practice at MV was it a while back?

Ages ago, and no he was moaning as it was 10am lol.. Since then we've started using MV and the rooms are actually pretty sweet acoustically :p sounds really good.

haha your supposed to be careful with those vintage valve amps, there worth quite a fair bit too which is possibly why he was a bit annoyed.

in captin toms ive never used a decent bass amp there, never been able to really hear myself, and you can hear the other bands in other rooms too well. also they kick you out too early never really get into a jam.

cheaper plus better amps and mellow environment ftw :p

I prefer Musical Vision because you never seem to be waiting for a band to finish and they never complain if you run five minutes over. Plus you can usually book it the day before nd get a slot and it has a water machine. And it's cheaper. And it has a ping-pong table.

haha your supposed to be careful with those vintage valve amps, there worth quite a fair bit too which is possibly why he was a bit annoyed.

The only valve amps I've seen in MV (unless its changed recently) are JCM900s. These are not old enough to be 'vintage', they are in abundance on ebay all the time, they are largely regarded as the dogs of the JCM series and they are some of the cheapest 2nd hand valve amps you can get your hands on.

Oh come to think of it I do remember seeing a black amplifier with a white trim in place of one of the 900s last time we were there. Cant remember the name it was something like harley benton (it wasn't HB it was just something like that). Iirc we weren't impressed with it.

Guest DustyDeviada

Haven't been in for a while but I'm sure they have quite a few cool vintage amps in the various rooms, ie Sound City and stuff like that.

What, you mean the old sound city PA head they use as a bass amp?

I'd say its 'old', but not 'vintage', if you know what I mean. Its down to opinion of course, but just because its old and has valves I wouldn't say it has any particular musical merit. I've seen battered old soundcity heads in a few places, but only in situations where nobodys wanted to spend money on decent gear. Given the speakers hooked up to that soundcity head in musical vision, imho, this is one of those situations. My bassist definately didn't classify this as a 'cool vintage amp'.

Peronally I'd rather spend the cash on a modern pa head just for the peace of mind that its electrically safe, reliable, and has XLR sockets for real microphones. But to each their own.

Guest DustyDeviada

They have another cool old amp, Harry something or other.

At the end of the day one man's vintage is anther's old tat - some people class 70s Fender gear as "vintage", while to others it was the worst period in the country's history.

That said, I would still say that the valve amps in Musical Vision are better than the solid state Laneys at Tom's, no question.

That said, I would still say that the valve amps in Musical Vision are better than the solid state Laneys at Tom's, no question.

Agreed! :)

The laneys are so limited and get mushy or harsh really easily, even when using top quality guitars. If I were to choose amps for toms, taking maintenence and cost into consideration, I'd probably choose AVT50 heads for something that most people will be able to get a decent sound out of, and maybe a fender twin or blues deluxe available on request. I reckon they'd be safe from the lil' punks that abuse gear cos they wouldn't have enough gain and wont be requested :) Plus they dont say 'marshall' on them so they're not rock n roll :D