aberdeen-music

New Element 106 song.

Hog

www.myspace.com/e106

Its called "New song" because I cant remember the name of it.

See what ya think. Constructive critism rocks

Cheers

Hog

Braiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin

What the fuck is this pish??? :swearing:

Melodies?

Harmonies?

Structure?

Where's the mindless power-chord thrashing and riffs that go nowhere???? :swearing:

You lot ought to be ashamed of yourselves o_O

...this just in....

I LIKE IT :up: :up: :up:

Well done chaps :up:

Can you name it "The Violation Of Miss Jones" instead ?

hmmm. How do i say it Hog. After all that deep and meaningful time we spent together on Saturday!! haha

It ain't terrible. Still a bit long imo but there is variation in the playing etc so didn't get as bored as i normally do listening to e106! hahahaha I liked the fast riff at the 2min'ish mark. Needs a blast behind it even for a few bars. Break up the over all plodiness, and maybe smooth out the jerkiness to the main (1st riff), sounds okay to start on but doesn't sound right during the song, effects the flow if ye like... Maybe a bit late for changing the song THAT much at Exile prices though.

Look forward to hearing the mastered version. Get some balls boys!!

Bazz Ooka

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

this aint really what i was expecting, it aint really metal as such. it reminds me of deftones for ages. the bit after is is pretty decent too. one of the guitars sounds real nice.

discordant guitar solo bit is awesome

bad points

drums are sloppy and out of time

vocals way too high in mix.

overall an improvement.

there needs to be a BRRRREEEEEEEEEIIINNNNNNNN in there though :D

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

this aint really what i was expecting, it aint really metal as such. it reminds me of deftones for ages. the bit after is is pretty decent too. one of the guitars sounds real nice.

bad points

drums are sloppy and out of time

vocals way too high in mix.

overall an improvement.

there needs to be a BRRRREEEEEEEEEIIINNNNNNNN in there though :D

I Know I'll get blasted for not taking criticism well, but drums are actually very in time when listened to through good quality sound setup, its funny you say that as when I listened back to it outside the studio I thought it sounded a bit ropey despite sounding amazing in the studio monitors! Drum sound was more electronic, still to be worked on in the mastered copy, having a fiberskyn on the bass drum made for an unusual sound, more acousticy but nevertheless good. :up:

I Know I'll get blasted for not taking criticism well, but drums are actually very in time when listened to through good quality sound setup

Surely it's more important that it sounds good through an average setup, so most people listening to it will enjoy it more, rather than it sounding superb through the studio monitors but a bit crap when you get it home?

I liked the solo, didn't enjoy much else about it really. Not that it's bad, just that there's nothing in the song that seems above average to me.

I've no idea where Maxi is hearing Deftones in it as at no point did I hear anything remotely similar to a Deftones riff or song. But I agree with him that the vocals are too high. Didn't like the tone of the guitars.

It's a shame, I want to like E106 because I want Aberdeen to have more good metal bands, but at the moment we still just have a lot of poor to average ones and I keep hoping one of them will progress and become good. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be happening yet.

It's a shame, I want to like E106 because I want Aberdeen to have more good metal bands, but at the moment we still just have a lot of poor to average ones and I keep hoping one of them will progress and become good. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be happening yet.

You could do something about it yourself and lead the charge towards NE Metal domination:)

Personally I like this song (no shit). I still think we can do way better. As I mentioned to Bazz on Sat night, I would love to see Element get faster, heavier and with shorter songs.

Not offended at all by your comment Chris. As I said, I think we can do better.:up:

Personally I like this song (no shit). I still think we can do way better. As Bazz mentioned to me on Sat night, I would love to see Element get faster, heavier and with shorter songs.

Not offended at all by your comment Chris. As I said, I think we can do better.:up:

Read this month's Classic Rock article on Thin Lizzy for their take on recording versus live. I think most of us can ALWAYS do better.

I Know I'll get blasted for not taking criticism well, but drums are actually very in time when listened to through good quality sound setup, its funny you say that as when I listened back to it outside the studio I thought it sounded a bit ropey despite sounding amazing in the studio monitors! Drum sound was more electronic, still to be worked on in the mastered copy, having a fiberskyn on the bass drum made for an unusual sound, more acousticy but nevertheless good. :up:

The drums aren't too bad, but they're certainly not 'very in time' - and they really need to be for this type of song. To be fair, I don't think it's only the drums at fault, the guitars are maybe just not totally tight with the drums sometimes.

Never judge your sound or performance by the studio monitors, they're very expensively designed to make you sound awesome. But the trick is to make yourself still sound awesome through a 30 Binatone mini-hifi from Argos. When we mix anything, we've always spent more time outside the room than in it. Try standing outside with the door open, you'll get a much more realistic idea of how it will sound to most people i.e. in the real world, not an artificial acoustic environment. Most studios will also have a set of ordinary hi-fi speakers you can switch to for comparison.

Overall, I'd agree with Chris, not a bad song, but if I heard this coming from the Moorings stage it wouldn't be enough to drag my face out of my pint glass.

Me too man, one of the better bits I did in my half of the solo!

Surely it's more important that it sounds good through an average setup, so most people listening to it will enjoy it more, rather than it sounding superb through the studio monitors but a bit crap when you get it home?

IMO it sounds great in the car, I have the head unit EQ flat and it doesn't sound too bassy/trebly which is good. Maybe a little bit more top end on it though.

Didn't like the tone of the guitars.

Just curious man, what didn't you like about it? I know it's personal taste yadda yadda but I felt my tone (panned left) to be very satisfying. Maybe that's cos it's mine though! :up:

This definitely needs cleaned up a bit and will hopefully sound tops when it's all mastered and such. :)

Alright chappies!

I'd say most noticably (in my opinion, of course) the song is a little long and repetative for 6 minutes (i.e. I'd say sections could be repeated less, or have 2 or 4 bars instead of 4 or 8). Takes quite a while 'til the vocals come in.

Drums sound fine to me. Not bad in terms of actual sound, although I'll let the other drummers decide how well they're actually played... Perhaps a touch out of time in places, although I think that's the guitars as well.

Cool time change when it gets faster around 1:40 and 2:50 (?), and the solo is pretty cool too - straight out of the kill 'em all/lightning-era hammett school.

I'd say the thing that makes the song 'sloppiest' is the two rhythm guitars - not the individual playing, which isn't bad - but the overall togetherness. They seem to go out of phase with each other in quite a lot of places, especially the start, so I guess working on rhythm and strumming patterns together would be my advice/criticism regarding that.

guitar tone isn't bad, although perhaps a little thin. Maybe more bass guitar is needed in the mix as well?

I love tony's vocals. They're great.* Although they are pretty generic "cookie monster" death metal vocals, they so remind me of a mixture of very early Nick Holmes (paradise lost) and Karl Willetts from Bolt Thrower, which of course is a good thing.

*EDIT: just noticed, that should perhaps read "I love tony's vocals. They're grrrrrrrreat!")

Alright chappies!

I'd say most noticably (in my opinion, of course) the song is a little long and repetative for 6 minutes (i.e. I'd say sections could be repeated less, or have 2 or 4 bars instead of 4 or 8). Takes quite a while 'til the vocals come in.

Drums sound fine to me. Not bad in terms of actual sound, although I'll let the other drummers decide how well they're actually played... Perhaps a touch out of time in places, although I think that's the guitars as well.

Cool time change when it gets faster around 1:40 and 2:50 (?), and the solo is pretty cool too - straight out of the kill 'em all/lightning-era hammett school.

I'd say the thing that makes the song 'sloppiest' is the two rhythm guitars - not the individual playing, which isn't bad - but the overall togetherness. They seem to go out of phase with each other in quite a lot of places, especially the start, so I guess working on rhythm and strumming patterns together would be my advice/criticism regarding that.

guitar tone isn't bad, although perhaps a little thin. Maybe more bass guitar is needed in the mix as well?

I love tony's vocals. They're great.* Although they are pretty generic "cookie monster" death metal vocals, they so remind me of a mixture of very early Nick Holmes (paradise lost) and Karl Willetts from Bolt Thrower, which of course is a good thing.

*EDIT: just noticed, that should perhaps read "I love tony's vocals. They're grrrrrrrreat!")

I pretty much agree with all of that. I really dont feel that Chris' drumming was out of time if anything, the guitars were not bang on. Everyone had headphones for recording apart from myself and Jimmer (guitars) so we had to listen to chris drum who was on the other side of the room and behind a screen.

The 2 solos were 1) Myself (I kept it restraint on purpose) then 2) Jimmer giving it some yas min.

Would definately use Exile studios again.

Greeeeeeeeeeat

Hog

Insaneeeeeeeeeeee

Everyone had headphones for recording apart from myself and Jimmer (guitars) so we had to listen to chris drum who was on the other side of the room and behind a screen.

In future if you're recording like that it might be a better idea to use that setup with the guitars as a guide for the drums, then the two of you can overdub your parts properly afterwards.