aberdeen-music

Wee question about pedals

WoodyRATM

yo,

I'm considering adding an octave pedal to my setup.

i was thinking of the boss oc-3, it would be for bass.

but the thing is, that i'd much rather have a higher octave, rather than the normal lower.

i dont play that much chords, and i'm tuned to 5 string std.

will the OC-3 manage this? or are there any other fx that you'd suggest?

so far i have a sanamp bass driver and morley wah.

Also which delay would be best? i think all the fx i want is my drive (got), my wah (got), the octave, delay and maybe synth. Possibly a flanger aswell.

any ideas which would be the best to hunt down and try?

Sorry for the insanely high amounts of vaugness.

cheers

Woods

x

an akai head rush is a pretty versatile, easy to use delay... with plenty of extras... such as simulated tape loop delay... multiple outputs for different virtual head positions, not to mention it can sample 16 - 20 odd seconds... which you can then sample overdub etc... if you want to use it in pure delay mode it is a doddle to use, i partularly like the very useable tap delay action....

as for pitch control, boss make a nice, intelligent, but expensive pitch shifter... the ps-5, it can make harmonies in particular keys, or just pitch shift a number of semitones up or down... it can be a pretty basic chorus aswell... pitch shift range is up or down 2 octaves... there are plenty of others...

...does that help any.....?

• Upvote 1

an akai head rush is a pretty versatile, easy to use delay... with plenty of extras... such as simulated tape loop delay... multiple outputs for different virtual head positions, not to mention it can sample 16 - 20 odd seconds... which you can then sample overdub etc... if you want to use it in pure delay mode it is a doddle to use, i partularly like the very useable tap delay action....

as for pitch control, boss make a nice, intelligent, but expensive pitch shifter... the ps-5, it can make harmonies in particular keys, or just pitch shift a number of semitones up or down... it can be a pretty basic chorus aswell... pitch shift range is up or down 2 octaves... there are plenty of others...

...does that help any.....?

yup ta muchly :) i was thinkin of pitch shifting but wasnt sure.

i was oddly tempted to have a gander at the digitech whammy.

Ps. As for the synth' date=' don't be silly. You're a bassist.[/quote']

exactly. hehe ;)

also cheers for the advice :)

Actually, if you're willing to shell out, the ZVex Johnny Octave goes 1 or 2 octaves higher.

But then again... the wooly mammoth bass fuzz would be the thing to have from that particular catalogue. Even with your guitarist constantly trying to steal it :)

And here's the Keeley Delay. I've heard good things: Robert Keeley Electronics: AD9 Analog Delay

It's important to bear in mind the difference between an analogue octave pedal, a digital pitch shifter and a fuzz octave pedal.

An analogue octave pedal (such as the boss OC-3, EBS octobass and internal Ashdown octaver) will only provide octave down intervals and is monophonic.

A digital pitch shifter (such as the boss PS-5 and whammy) can provide a range of high and low intervals, is polyphonic and may have other effects such as intelligent harmony or bending. It won't sound as fat as analogue for monophonic bass stuff though.

A fuzz octave pedal (such as the johnny octave or Roger Mayer Octavia) generates an upper octave harmonic sound through intermodulation. It is a different beast entirely which cannot provide a clean octave sound and only does so under certain conditions (pickup selection, frettiing position) otherwise it sounds like a ring mod. I could record a clip of me playing bass through an octavia if you want, it'd sound pretty sick, definitely not a recognisable octave sound.

• Upvote 1