aberdeen-music

[GIG] The Horrors @ Kef

deecie

What I don't understand about The Horrors is, they sound more like 80's Matchbox or a heavier Cramps than anything else, but they're fanbase seems to be mainly comprised of people who like stuff like Enter Shikari.

I think they'd be quite cool to see live, I love The Cramps and they're one of the few bands going about that clearly have a big Cramps influence and Sheena Is a Parasite was a good song.

• 1 month later...
The other support band is called The Low Miffs. They're really good. Well I like them anyway.

The Low Miffs

I read a review of them on Drowned In Sound. The reviewer didn't realise that the song Club Country was an Associates cover. Well that's me assuming it's an Associates cover. It is possible they have a song with the same name and which is described to sound very similar.

I read a review of them on Drowned In Sound. The reviewer didn't realise that the song Club Country was an Associates cover. Well that's me assuming it's an Associates cover. It is possible they have a song with the same name and which is described to sound very similar.

Nope. As far as i'm aware they don't have a song called Club Country. Haven't heard the original but you could well be right.

I'll be there handing out free badges.

Make an extra effort at the gig in some way and you'll get a free Horrors fanzine too! :)

Ooh, badges! Sold! :D Can I get two?

I'm being dragged along despite the fact that The Horrors don't really do anything for me. Recently, though, I've heard about their shows and what they get up to and it all sounds quite fun, so I'm not being a complete miserable fuck about it. Plus I get to dress up and gothify... or just wear all black, which I'm happy with. And the Low Miffs are supporting, waheeey!

I'd look forward to NEiL'S CHiLDREN if only they didn't look so much like the Horrors...

Exhibit A...

l_a303c709c8f3f6967bd830a316b75094.jpg

review:

low miffs: ding as fuck.

neil's children: was at triple kirk's.

horrors: put on a good show, very tight, if a little pretentious. coming on 45 minutes late isn't a good way to impress people! was it just me, or did the bassist from the view come on to play the last song with them? whoever it was, the last song was pretty awful anyway.

Overall, good value for money, cos I got in for free! :up:

I just got told this has sold out from my sister - me and about 10 friends were gonna pay at the door - does anyone know if it has sold out? I tried calling the venue but got no reply.

Yeah, apparently it sold out at the last minute. Me and my friend were planning on doing the same, then we got told we were on the guestlist, but that turned out to be a lie, so we just hung out with the Low Miffs instead. Did get to meet everyone after though which was alright. I've changed my opinion on Faris Rotter after meeting him, though, the first time he was a bit quiet and shy which made him seem a bit pissed off, but the second time, he was really nice and spoke without having to be made to.

Love the Low Miffs though. They gave us free singles out of pity... aw...

Way too hot in there. I enjoyed Low Miffs. I heard so many influences in them...Alex Harvey, Pulp, Madness, Dexys Midnight Runners and Muse! (if Matt Bellamy had a sense of humour). When I asked to buy a 7" the singer presumed I wanted a Neils Children record.

Neils Children's first song was really good. Is it an advert or something? I seem to have heard it. They looked like they want to be the Cure or Phil Oakley. They looked ridiculous and after the first song, the rest of the set was boring and repetitive.

Huge gap before The Horrors came on. The gap was longer than The Horrors set. It was ridiculous. I was not happy.

The Horrors were ok I guess. Heavier than I imagined and I don't really know why all the indie kids like them cos they sound almost like Amen covering The Cramps. I'd rather listen to Zombina and the Skeletones do that kinda thing personally.

Way too hot in there. I enjoyed Low Miffs. I heard so many influences in them...Alex Harvey, Pulp, Madness, Dexys Midnight Runners and Muse! (if Matt Bellamy had a sense of humour).

Dexys and Pulp eh? They sound ace.

Edit: They're pretty meh. Was Malcolm Ross from Josef K/Orange Juice playing onstage with them?