aberdeen-music

The best British comedy?

Paulscoconutass

took far too long for 'spaced' to be mentioned. without a doubt my favourite. 'the mighty boosh' is also great, and 'black books' is even better. if we're going further back, then 'fawlty towers', and 'smack the pony' and 'big train' were great...not as far back as fawlty but not recent by any means. i seem to remember enjoying 'the adam and joe show' too.

8-)

Til death us do part

Steptoe and son

Steptoe may not have aged well but was hillarious in its day. However, Till Death (along with the rest of Speight's dreadful race-based offerings, remember Curry & Chips?), even though it lasted 25 years was utter shite then & now.

As for those citing anything involving Reeves & Mortimer. What about the originals whom they owe it all to - Morcambe & Wise.

Of the rest, these are top-flight IMO:

Monty Python

Q

The Goodies

Not The Nine O'Clock News

The Young Ones

The Man From Auntie

Blackadder

The Mary Whitehouse Experience

Spitting Image

Naked Video

Absolutely

Father Ted

Derek & Clive

Drop the Dead Donkey

Red Dwarf

Brass Eye

:D

Getting a hold of 'The smell of Reeves and Mortimer' is on my to do list

Virgin had the two series DVD for 8.99 before Christmas. I bought it ; it's as uproariously funny as I remember, but it's the TV edit. The old VHS editions had the proper extended versions.

I find Reeves and Mortimer more consistently funny than Morecambe and Wise.

AKM

8-)

Steptoe may not have aged well but Till Death (along with the rest of Speight's dreadful race-based offerings, remember Curry & Chips?), even though it lasted 25 years was utter shite then & now.

:D

All a matter of opinion....at the time, Til Death Us Do Part had me laughing out loud, which most comedy on TV (including a lot on your list) doesn't.

The only UK TV comedy series which got my Dad laughing were Harry Worth and Eric Sykes. Neither were particularly my thing, but then I put Not the Nine o'clock News, Brasseye, Drop the Dead Donkey in the same bin as Terry and June, Keeping up appearances, Butterflies etc . I've got a massive blind spot for Little Britain, too:puke:

Guest DustyDeviada

Well Alan, I used to like Terry and June as well, remember the classic episode where Terry gets left some premium bonds in a will, and the numbers come up, but he then finds out that they are non-transferable? Classic stuff.

But now I've got the theme tune stuck in my head.

Well Alan, I used to like Terry and June as well, remember the classic episode where Terry gets left some premium bonds in a will, and the numbers come up, but he then finds out that they are non-transferable? Classic stuff.

But now I've got the theme tune stuck in my head.

Serves you right!

As a nipper I liked 'Hugh and I', which had Terry Scott in it, but I was never a fan of Terry & June (although I've always found June Whitfield strangely attractive!). Did you ever have the misfortune to see 'The Gnomes of Dulwich'?

I also have dim memories of liking a show called 'All gas and gaiters' with Robertson Hare in it. I think it got 'revamped' as something else in the 70s.

Other guilty pleasures..

Rising Damp

Citizen Smith

The High Life

The Vital Spark

Rab C Nesbit

My dead Dad

Only joking, Terry and June was crap. Good shout on Citizen Smith though. "Freedom for tooting!"

I should hope so! Anything with Terry Scott tended to send me in the other direction.

Yup Citizen Smith was good. :D

All Gas & Gaiters was the reincarnation of something else, possibly a one-off play? Hard to think it was pretty controversial at the time but nobody had sent-up the church in that way on TV before. It also stereotyped Derek Nimmo in the clergyman role (which was apparently about as far from the real Mr Nimmo as you could get!) which later made him a household name in Oh Brother & Oh Father (shudder!) although these shows were not directly descended from it.

You might be glad to know the BBC have apparently "lost" all the archive footage of The Gnomes of Dulwich. :D

Oh Brother! & Oh Father! were about as bad as it gets!

(They were what I thought All Gas and Gaiters mutated into....the Nimmo becoming even more grimmo).

'Nearest & Dearest'........now that was bizarre! (But not necessarily in a good way!)

Not too far removed...'The Clitheroe kid'.

I also liked 'The Dustbin men'.

I admit to liking Absolutely Fabulous, too.