aberdeen-music

The best British comedy?

Paulscoconutass

Fawlty Towers, The Brittas Empire and Red Dwarf are my favourite older comedies. In recent years its been stuff like Darkplace, Mighty Boosh, Nathan Barley, IT Crowd, Man To Man (i know they're all connected but they're still great). In the years between there's not been anything that really springs to mind. British Comedy seems to be in an upward motion quality wise though, which is good.

"Still Game" for me.

Honourable mentions....

Sit Coms

Only Fools & Horses

Fawlty Towers

The Office

Extras

Sketch Shows & Series

Monty Python

Naked Video

Chewin' The Fat

Harry Enfield

Smack The Pony

Comic Strip Presents...

Most reviled (boring "family" sitcoms & "Cannon & Ball" type workie shite aside) ? - "Little Britain" - a freak show that's disgusting & sick just for the sake it! ...and I'm certainly no prude.

Yes, and lets not forget the likes of Brush Strokes, My Hero and Coupling which are of a similar calibre.

Are you saying My Hero is of similar quality to Allo Allo? It's utter pish.

Ones that haven't been mentioned yet and deserve to be:

Spaced, Drop The Dead Donkey, Black Books the first series of Look Around You and Open All Hours

As for sketch shows I can't believe no-ones mentioned Big Train or The Fast Show yet.

Honourable mention as well to Mock The Week for just being ace.

Guest DustyDeviada
Are you saying My Hero is of similar quality to Allo Allo? It's utter pish.

I would concur that My Hero is utter pish, and yes, I would say that Allo Allo is of similar quality. ;)

Monty Python

Not The Nine O'Clock News

Alas Smith & Jones

Three Of A Kind

The Young Ones

The Man From Auntie (Ben Elton before he became uber wank)

Blackadder

The Smell Of Reeves & Mortimer

Big Train

Jam

Fist Of Fun (and other Lee & Herring programs)

The Mary Whitehouse Experience

Spitting Image

Naked Video

Absolutely

Jam

Nighty Night

Spaced

Black Books

Peep Show

Father Ted

The Craig Ferguson Theory

The Mitchell & Webb Situation

The Mitchell & Webb Look

Derek & Clive

Red Dwarf

Brass Eye (anything done by Chris Morris & Armando Ianucci)

and that's about all I can think of at the moment which I've enjoyed throughout the years

Guest bluesxman

I'm Alan Partridge is well up there for me, both series are consistently top-notch, as are the 3 series of Peep Show and all of The Office. Spaced, Black Books, Blackadder 2,3 & 4, The Mighty Boosh (I prefer series 2 personally, more consistently amusing) and Father Ted are other favourites. Extras has been a bit hit or miss for me but there are some classic moments in there.

I enjoyed the first series of Little Britain but it became apparent from the second series that they only had one set of ideas and it was no longer funny ones. Similarly Bo Selecta's first series was consistently great, the second series less so and teh 3rd was very tired. After recently buying the full set of Bottom cheap, I promptly realised that I no longer found it amusing and promptly sold it again. Some of The Young Ones still holds up OK. I can tolerate so much Fawlty Towers but find some of the scenarios overly drawn out to the point they begin to annoy me now. Maybe I watched it too much in years past

Guest Tam o' Shantie

BRASS EYE, mother fuckers...

The Office, The Fast Show spring to mind. Big Train and Smack The Pony were alright too, but they've been lost in the sands of time. But nothing gives me as much laugh related milage as the 'eye.

Has to be The Office for me, I think it's true genius is that it's not only incredibly funny, but it's also very moving at times, and perfectly captures the tedium of British life. I also love Extras and everything Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant have done, I can listen to their XFM shows and podcasts with Karl for hours.

Other honourable mentions for me, in no particular order, would be...

The Royle Family

One Foot In the Grave

Fawlty Towers

Peep Show

Nathan Barley

Brass Eye

The Mighty Boosh

Alan Partridge (Knowing Me, Knowing You and I'm Alan Partridge)

The Fast Show

Still Game