aberdeen-music

Rubbish Broadband Speeds

mcsheepie

I'm not having much luck with my speeds lately, when i stuck on the PC this evening i got the grand old speeds of 39kbps down and 68kbps up. (i sync at 8128/448, so something is definitely wrong)

I tried to raise a fault with my isp and there automatic fault reporter said that it was all down

to my exchange so tough, then it closed my fault report. I know that the denburn exchange is red but surely the speeds shouldn't be that bad.

Is anyone else on the Denburn exchange and are you facing speeds like this?

(i sync at 8128/448, so something is definitely wrong)

Nothing wrong with that - you have 8MB ADSL.

If BT are to be believed they are upgrading all the Aberdeen exchanges on the 1st of February to deal with the ADSL capacity problems. So maybe things will improve soon...

I'm getting crappy speeds as well if that makes you feel any better.

Nothing wrong with that - you have 8MB ADSL.

If BT are to be believed they are upgrading all the Aberdeen exchanges on the 1st of February to deal with the ADSL capacity problems. So maybe things will improve soon...

I'm getting crappy speeds as well if that makes you feel any better.

I meant that there was definitely something wrong with my speeds as i sync as high as you can on 8mb (sorry rubbish at explaining things)

The thing that bugs me is all the BT blurbs say that with 8mb, speeds of 400kbps and above are considered acceptable, i'm way below that level and yet i still can't raise a fault

The thing that bugs me is all the BT blurbs say that with 8mb, speeds of 400kbps and above are considered acceptable, i'm way below that level and yet i still can't raise a fault

Ah, gotcha. Sorry, I mis-understood. Yeah, I have the same problem pretty much. I can only get 5.5MB because of the distance I am away from my exchange, but I'm lucky if I ever get over 60kbps downstream.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

on 2mb but have experienced as low as 6-7kbs downstream recently. upgrading to 8mb this month with a different ISP, not sure what exchange i'm even on. Roll on er...tomorrow!

Ah, the speeds i mentioned earlier weren't download/transfer speeds, they were my connection speeds, this is my speedtest results from earlier

Date of Speed Test: 2007-01-31 19:57:57

Download Speed: 39 kbps (4.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 68 kbps (8.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

(told you i was rubbish at explaining myself)

It's perked up a bit now though (getting Download Speed: 175 kbps (21.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 83 kbps (10.4 KB/sec transfer rate))

I normally get between 3MB and 5MB, so this is a bit slower.

Ah, the speeds i mentioned earlier weren't download/transfer speeds, they were my connection speeds, this is my speedtest results from earlier

Date of Speed Test: 2007-01-31 19:57:57

Download Speed: 39 kbps (4.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 68 kbps (8.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

(told you i was rubbish at explaining myself)

It's perked up a bit now though (getting Download Speed: 175 kbps (21.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 83 kbps (10.4 KB/sec transfer rate))

I normally get between 3MB and 5MB, so this is a bit slower.

What site did you use to test that?

this site may help with explaining the rubbish speeds on the denburn exchange

Yeah, mine is on status 'red'. I guess there's just too many people using broadband these days and its crushing the shit out of the exchange. It says there's an upgrade due on the 9th of Feb, i'll wait and see what happens to speeds and the suchlike then.

Having said that, my internet's never been that slow really. It's hardly like i have to wait 1omins for something to load like the old dial-up days.

Just in case this affects anyone, the anti-phishing software in the latest version of McAfee Internet Suite causes internet speeds to fall off dramatically. Mine was virtually unuseable.

McAfee are working on a patch to fix this, but in the meantime, disabling the anti-phishing software does the trick. If you use IE7, you've got built-in phishing protection anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tam o' Shantie
Is anyone else on Tiscali?

My internet hasn't been connecting for weeks.

And their support is fucking terrible!

I think i'm going to cancel them and go with someone else!

Yes, and though I have been able to connect my speeds have been rubbish on a scale varying between slightly gash and utterly shit. Having to only navigate one page at a time to avoid timeouts etc. Denburn exchange still shows as red and the 'scheduled upgrade' has been moved back twice since I started checking the page on this thread. Currently shows as 1st March and hasn't been updated since. Load of bollocks. And I am going to move provider to Orange too, as tiscali have been quite shit with me (and I get 8mb 'unlimited' use adsl & free local + national calls for a fiver extra a month cos of my mobile contract.)

I wouldn't put all speed problems down to the exchange stuff. Having finally figured out my problem (my ISP had screwed up and were throttling everyone on my account type to death) and changed account i'm now getting 6MB (peak and off peak) and i'm on the "always red" Denburn exchange, which has actually been red since about September and the fix date gets put back every 2 weeks or so.

Guest Bob Double Jack

i've just moved to sky from orange, and my download speed is a ludicrous 8mps. it is truly fab, for downloading and for xbox live !

Guest Bob Double Jack
It's fuckin' ace, isn't it! And only a fiver a month!

it sure is immense. those cunts at orange offered to change my package from 27.99 a month to 12.99 a month. when i asked why i'd not been offered this before, they went quiet. cocks.