aberdeen-music

Daedelus (Ninja Tunes)+ MC Quake and The Seismonauts (DeFENCE)

chilli

interesting music promotions present

Daedelus + MC Quake and The Seismonauts

Wednesday 21st February/Doors 8pm/Entry 6

Peacock Visual Arts, 21 Castle Street, Aberdeen, AB10 5BQ Phone (01224) 639539

Daedelus, the eccentric, electronic maestro of the Pacific coast. One of LA's most daring new artists this young musical romantic weaves together a true "love-sound" that falls between honeyed melody and avant-electronics. Daedelus chops and splices disparate acoustic sources into incredible works of staggering resonance. Contrasting IDM styled cut-ups with childlike arrangements from the 30's and 40's, he has refined a style that has no imitators. Exactly the kind of music youd expect from a scarily well-connected hip hop nut who happens to dress in Edwardian clothing and names himself after an Ancient Greek Legend.

With a body of work including releases through Mush, Plug Research, Hefty, Tigerbeat6, and Eastern Developments & now Ninja Tunes, Daedelus' rep is long since established.

http://www.myspace.com/daedelusdarling

With very special guests MC Quake and The Seismonauts. MC Quake follows his whims wherever they lead, blending sonic experimentation, beats, found sounds, hip-hop and anything else that seems to sound good at the time into music that is truly hard to pigeonhole. With a live band featuring leading luminaries from the Fence Collective.

http://www.myspace.com/mcquake

http://www.myspace.com/interestingmusic

• 2 weeks later...

here is some additional information about daedelus:-

daedelus the eccentric electronic maestro of the pacific coast, comes to Aberdeen for the first time for a very special intimate show at the wonderful Peacock Artspace. one of la's most daring new artists this young musical romantic weaves together a true "love-sound" that falls between honeyed melody and avant-electronics. daedelus chops and splices disparate acoustic sources into incredible works of staggering resonance. contrasting electronica styled cut-ups with childlike arrangements from the 30's and 40's, he has refined a style that has no imitators. exactly the kind of music youd expect from a scarily well-connected hip hop nut who happens to dress in edwardian clothing and names himself after an ancient greek legend. with a string of releases on ninja tune, mush, plug research, hefty, tigerbeat 6, and eastern developments, daedelus (aka alfred-weisberg-roberts) has refined a style that has no imitators. recording out of santa monica, daedelus also incorporates hip-hop into his mix, with guest spots from busdriver, mf doom, absract rude, madlib, and high priest (anti-pop consortium) amongst others.

his live show, which utilizes a custom-built sample trigger device and software package, has amazed audiences across the us, europe, and japan and secured his reputation as an incredibly exciting live artists and producer of electronic music.

praise for daedelus

"fabulously eclectic in styling and moods uncannily dreamlike and resonant." [mojo]

"a feast of many different favours from one of ninja tune's finest." [spill]

"words aren't wholly appropriate. only repeated listens will do daedelus justice." [rock sound 8/10]

"the addictive avant-garde splice-maestro turns the music world on its head as past and present sounds magically meld into the future. witty, endearing and alternative 21st century mood music." [flux]

"daedelus remains one of the outstanding producers out there right now, every track fizzes with ideas, pushing hip-hops parameters beyond their outer limits. dazzling." [fact]

"daedelus twists, cuts and flips samba rhythms and acid bursts into an intoxicating brew. bleeping good." [dazed and confused]

OK - this is an ab-mus only competition offer for this gig - just a bit o fun.

you get the question right we'll let you in for free (but only if you bring a (full paying) friend)

is that too many brackets? - that's not the question by the way.

right, with which band did MC Quake begin his magical journey with the Fence Collective?

NO SPELLING MISTAKES.

First to pm me with the correct answer with the correct spelling gets the prize.

you get the question right we'll let you in for free (but only if you bring a (full paying) friend)

right, with which band did MC Quake begin his magical journey with the Fence Collective?

NO SPELLING MISTAKES.

First to pm me with the correct answer with the correct spelling gets the prize.

Am I allowed to answer, or are site staff excluded?

NO SPELLING MISTAKES.

this comp is still open, by the way.

& we have been reliably informed that King Creosote will be playing this as well as

a plethera of leading luminaries from the Fence Collective

Unfortunately KC has had to pull out from the Seismonauts line-up due to recording commitments, although I am told there may be a family member replacing him.

All the other Fence originals will be there though. I watched them on Friday night and the lineup is looking and sounding amazing.

Unfortunately KC has had to pull out from the Seismonauts line-up due to recording commitments, although I am told there may be a family member replacing him.

All the other Fence originals will be there though. I watched them on Friday night and the lineup is looking and sounding amazing.

plus imp regulars in attendance will get a lovely surprise with regard to the Triptych Festival launch

I posted this in the other thread, but thought it may be useful here - review of Quake's warm up gig in Fife last Friday...

It was as with all the things that Fence do, one of those special moments, one in which you just had to be there. And lets be honest these are the special moments that lead 40-50 people + to gather in Anstruther on a Friday night in the middle of February.

Finally, MC Quake and the seismonauts take to tha stage and to a backdrop of groove and tune (Uncle Beesly was on fire last night, could have been the new image) Quake fired out his trademark raps engaging with everyone in the room and whilst entertaining the masses also providing us with something to thing about at the same time. But where it works best for me is when Quake provides on of his spoken word monolgues and the band play behind him..And so we come back to the closing number, it all clicked and they were off and running