aberdeen-music

RFR Promotions in trouble?

Cloud

At the risk of sounding stupid, who and what is DF or DFC?

Glasgow based promoters. Biggest in scotland. they book and run T in the park, own and operate king tut's and promote most of the big shows in Scotland.

see www.gigsinscotland.com for a list of shows they have got coming up.

And, no this doesn't mean I am in the process of doing a deal with DF.

R

• 2 months later...

Dude. You are a fucking knob. At the end of the day, you don't even live in Aberdeen, so what business of it is yours? There are at least 7 people who post on this site that work in Moshulu and we haven't gone to such ludicrous levels of muck-raking that you have. Why? Does it bring you some sort of sense of superiority to post this stuff? Have you ever run a nightclub? I seem to recall that you could barely organise gigs, yet you appear to be some sort of expert in the licensing trade now. Get a life brah!

1) Why have you got a copy of a document that was only sent to creditors of RFR?

2) Why are you putting excerpts from this document in the public domain?

3) Do you seriously think anyone's going to tell you what happened at a meeting where only creditors, KPMG and RFR should have been in attendance?

4)stfu

• Upvote 1

Cloud,

There's a difference being something being in the public domain, something being of public interest, and bringing something to public attention.

Granted, perhaps there was a valid argument for initially bringing RFR's situation to the attention of the members of this site. That information was, after all, published in a local newspaper.

And the document that you have quoted extracts from does live in the public domain; mainly to make it available to any genuinely interested or affected parties. Perhaps if you had a buddy who was working at Moshulu, then you might feel compelled to discuss it's contents with him in private, as he may be at risk of being adversely affected by the situation.

BUT... there is no public interest case for publishing the contents of that document here. Even the press wouldn't go that far unless there was something incendary in the contents - a donation to Tony Blair or whatever!

Fair enough - take an interest in the public accounts of various businesses (hell I'm a nosey bastard too). But there's no call for broadcasting that information to all asunder.

I was discussing the economics of the bar trade with one of my mates last week. He was telling me how his father owned a half share of bar in King Street in the late 60s and early 70s, and how the profit from this was enough to fund a middle class existence in the outer West End. These days it's still possible to make a small fortune in the bar trade... all you have to do is start with a large fortune ;)

Flash

1) Why have you got a copy of a document that was only sent to creditors of RFR?

I can answer your first question. All limited companies are obliged to file at least their abbreviated accounts in the public domain. This is because liability is limited to the company, and it is not possible to pursue the individuals for any of the debt except under certain specific curcumstances.

Say for instance that Mr X has 1M of personal wealth, and he is operating a bar, which is running at a huge loss, and acrusing a huge debt. Now imagine he goes to a furniture supplier and procures 10K worth of fixtures and fittings, then his bar goes bust before these are paid for.

If Mr X was a sole trader then the supplier could pursue him personally for payment.

But if the bar was being run as a limited company then the supplier could not force Mr X to cover the debt out of his personal wealth. The supplier would lose that money.

To make things a little bit less risky for creditors, everyone has the option of looking at a the public accounts of limited companies, and deciding whether or not to risk dealing with them, and to what tune.

When a limited company gets into difficulties, then all the paperwork relating to that is also filed in the public domain. And that presumably is how Cloud will have obtained it. Either that or he's been raking in the bins at KPMG.

The limited company vehicle is an excellent means of mitigating against risk, both for the operators of businesses and anyone dealing with them.

The golden rule is never to voluntarily offer any personal assets up as security for the business. EG don't put your house on the line!

Me neither. Can Clyde get away with this? Could he be done for it?

I'd be interested to know the answer to this as well actually, purely from a forum moderation point of view.

If the information he is quoting from is in the public domain then fine, he can post it here and I doubt there is much action that can be taken against him. And from what Flash suggests above this is the case. If it isn't in the public domain however, then I'll have no hesitation in removing the offending posts and taking Cloud to task over this.

As far as I can make out, the administrators should have sent this to the registrar of companies, the bank of england and all known creditors. Unless the registrar of companies has put the info in the public domain then it is not public information.

Maybe Cloud can enlighten us as to how he "got his hands on" this information. Surely if it was a legitimate source he would have all the documents.

And Flash, once the company is in administration any new or ongoing creditors are guaranteed monies invoiced from the day that the company went into administration so the publishing of information doesn't safeguard anyone, they are already protected. Doesn't mean they don't publish it though, just that your given reason for publishing it is not applicable.

However, I'm unsure even from a legal angle if it's okay for him to display information such as the above in this sort of way. Is there not some kind of rule to how you can use the information once you purchase a copy of the reports?

That's exactly what I was thinking. If you have to pay for this information then that makes me think there is then restrictions on what you can then do with this information once you've bought it (e.g. you are not permitted to publish it publicly).

No one wanting to mention the fact that from viewing the proft/loss account that they've been increasing their turnover each year consecutively?

Ok they are losses but certainly improving each year.

That's my two cents, apart from the obvious that Cloud had no right posting their financial information on here.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
apart from the obvious that Cloud had no right posting their financial information on here.

Agreed, he may be perfectly entitled to do so legally.

But from an ethical standpoint I reckon it's lower than whale shit.

And Flash, once the company is in administration any new or ongoing creditors are guaranteed monies invoiced from the day that the company went into administration so the publishing of information doesn't safeguard anyone, they are already protected. Doesn't mean they don't publish it though, just that your given reason for publishing it is not applicable.

The information concerning the administration is published because after a compaay goes bust, the directors may decide to form a new business. Provided they have played by the rules this is allowed. Sometimes they even attempt to effectively pheonix the old company. Say for instance that I personally own the building my bar is in, but operate the bar trade through a separate limited company. It would be possible for the limited company to go under, potentially owing large sums, but provided I have correctly executed my duties as it's director then there would be nothing to stop me starting a new business from the same premises. Using the "Trading As" assignation I wouldn't even have to rename the bar.

The reason that all limited company information is held in the public domain is that people can do a director search, and find out if a particular director has even been involved in a failed company and what the specific details are.

Under the circumstances I do not think it would be appropriate for me (or anyone!) to substantiate this comment by providing details as to how this information can be accessed.

And like I said earlier... the fact that this is in the public domain does NOT provide any justification for Cloud's behaviour.