aberdeen-music

Rocky Balboa

Diesel

I was on a half-day today and as a) it was too cold outside b) R&B had some expensive Cornford amps that I needed to avoid buying, I decided to go and see the Big Lummox's final fling.

Not bad at all :)

As a former amateur boxer myself (32-4-1), the "Rocky" movies have always been a guilty pleasure of mine and with the exception of the mawkish Rocky II, they're all decent no-brainers, without gratuitous sex or violence (outside the ring) and a hero who's difficult not to root for.

This one's basically a retread of the 1st, and Stallone has included plenty not-so-subtle reminders - turtles, carcass-pounding, flashbacks and a part for Spider Rico, who you might remember as the guy Rocky fights in the opening scenes in the first movie. Amazingly, he's played by the same actor!

My only real criticism was the choice of Antonio Tarver as the champ "Mason Dixon". Tarver is an ex Light-Heavyweight champ (he scored a spectacular 2nd round KO over Roy Jones Jnr) and a very flamboyant boxer, but lacked any real menace in the movie.

So, if you fancy a sit-back-enjoy popcorn special - look no further

Ps - I was completely on my own in the Premier section of Vue - no coughing, rustling, crunching, folk going for pishes etc - fucking bliss :)

My only real criticism was the choice of Antonio Tarver as the champ "Mason Dixon". Tarver is an ex Light-Heavyweight champ (he scored a spectacular 2nd round KO over Roy Jones Jnr) and a very flamboyant boxer, but lacked any real menace in the movie.

I'll start by agreeing with that, I feel it was a missed oppurtunity to make the film a bit more memorable.

Anyways, the film was way better than I was expecting, nothing new but an enjoyable watch, but as a die hard Arnie fan, it didn't rate that high. Subtitles over Sly's parts might have helped slightly.

I went to see it tonight, and I was quite surprised about how good it was.

It was very honest and there was no glitz and glammer that made a mockery of the last Rocky films(although Mike Tyson mouthing of to Mason Dixon? WHY?).

The fight scene was the most realistic of them all, well apart from the first one. It was good to have a fight down the middle instead of the usual Rocky getting beat then all of a sudden fights back.

It has bowed out nicely.

I went to see it tonight, and I was quite surprised about how good it was.

It was very honest and there was no glitz and glammer that made a mockery of the last Rocky films(although Mike Tyson mouthing of to Mason Dixon? WHY?).

The fight scene was the most realistic of them all, well apart from the first one. It was good to have a fight down the middle instead of the usual Rocky getting beat then all of a sudden fights back.

It has bowed out nicely.

Apprarently, Tyson wanted the role of Mason Dixon, but Sly didn't trust him not do it for real in the ring o_O

He turned up on the night anyway (which was filmed during some real bouts), and got the part of "calling out" (that's the boxing term for verbal challenge) Dixon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I really liked it. Sure it was a bit of a self-indulgent wankathon made up of references to the other movies, but it was a good enjoyable movie, a real underdog story as Sly fights not only the champ but his own self doubts, and it wraps the whole series up nicely, a lot better than the abortion that was Rocky 5.

Agreed on Sly's odd appearance tho. He's starting to look as fake as his mother!