aberdeen-music

[GIG] Snake Temple Kings + Indafusion + Jackie Treehorn + Eric Euan @ The Moorings Bar

Feb 10 - The Moorings Bar - Fudgenight, 8pm, 3

Snake Temple Kings + Indafusion + Jackie Treehorn + Eric Euan

www.myspace.com/thesnaketemplekings

A new progressive rock band from Aberdeen. We are still in the early stages of development and are looking to experiment further with other instruments and musicians. We hope you enjoy our work so far! Influences: Hawkwind, Gong, King Crimson, Magma, Ozric Tentacles, Steve Hillage, Floyd, Tangerine Dream, Caravan, Van Der Graff Generator, Faust, Can, Brian Eno, Jah Wobble

www.myspace.com/indafusion

We come from Scotland and empty the animal trough-water of modern music onto the ashes of our broken hearts to allow our dejected cells to catch glimmers of hope in song! We meet in corridors and cottages. We have been friends to each other. We sometimes hunch over our weapons and collect envelopes of sand. Circular Records out of Edinburgh release our records. You can buy our albums Sweeping The Stars (2004) and the Runts of Darwin E.P. (2006) and can be purchased through the Circular Records website - www.circular-records.com

www.myspace.com/jackietreehornmusic

Rock? Tick. Prog? Tick. Stoner? Tick. Metal? Tick. Lurching around in a highly entertaining manner? Tick. One of the best bands to play The Moorings last year.

"Despite the likes of Kyuss clearly being an influence, and despite the swooshy phaser guitar effects and stuff, this band sound oddly like The Black Crowes playing prog versions of Black Sabbath hits" - Fudge Fanzine

www.myspace.com/ericeuan

eric euan write alternative rock music of depth and substance. Instantly infectious songs driven by a powerful rhythm section. A dynamic three guitar attack and soaring vocal harmonies give eric euans tunes a distinctive and lasting quality. Drawing on influences from the length and breadth of the musical spectrum and a north-east location, isolated from the scene. eric euan have a sound free from clich and unique enough to outlast any current trends. An established live act, eric euan have had the privilege of playing alongside noted bands such as, The Stranglers, The Delgados, De Rosa, Stapleton, Kerbdog, Deckard, Dawn of the Replicants, Mercury Tilt Switch, Alamos, El Presidente, Infadels and Macrocosmica.

Always improving, forever pushing the envelope and gaining popularity with increasing momentum. eric euan are a band that never disappoint.

Heroic proponents of intense melody, towering rhythms and philharmonic riffage" - Baby Tiger

A flurry of jerky rhythms, searing guitars and anxious harmonies, not a one-trick pony - Is This Music?

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great time last night and a really friendly atmosphere as per usual :)

The weather was terrible though.

Eric Euan aren't really the sort of thing I would listen to generally, however I thought they were an excellent band. Very, very tight, some catchy riffs and a good all-round sound. They have incredibly improved since the last time I saw them which was about 4 years ago at the Fudge Aid gig.

Jackie Treehorn were pretty good, but unfortunately friends arrived who I hadn't seen in a while so they were more of a background event happening at the time.

Indafusion were damn good. I will definitely consider going to see them again.

The Snake Temples, although only their second gig, played a great set. I was liking the songs flowing into each other without any breaks. The only thing I wasn't keen on was the sound which is really rare for the Moorings. The mix just didn't seem right - I couldn't hear much of the keyboards and vocals. Apart from that, this band has extreme potential. I hope they stick at it.

Indafusion are one of the best live bands around! Bangin! :up:

Martin on Gtr is a master of his instrument! Amazing indeed.

And (sorry guys) followed by one of the worst things I have seen in Aberdeen. I couldnt grap onto anything that was happeneing. Too much of everything all at the same time - no definiton! Bored me from 1st minute and left after about 3 "songs"

But each to their own......

Indafusion are one of the best live bands around! Bangin! :up:

Martin on Gtr is a master of his instrument! Amazing indeed.

And (sorry guys) followed by one of the worst things I have seen in Aberdeen. I couldnt grap onto anything that was happeneing. Too much of everything all at the same time - no definiton! Bored me from 1st minute and left after about 3 "songs"

But each to their own......

Check out the MP3s Here to hear what they were meant to sound like.

Check out the MP3s Here to hear what they were meant to sound like.

I was in agreement with Andy and left with him I'm afraid. It makes more sense to me on the old myspace than it did live although it's still many miles from my cup of tea. I think this is the danger you guys face as the type of music you are playing will be inaccesible to some people's lugs. There seemed to be folk digging it down the front so I guess its a matter of taste more than anything (don't give up on my critique!). I thought there was far too much sax as well which added to the overall cacophony that I was hearing, not my favourite instrument at the best of times. I would advise being more frugal with your bugle Colin.....

I was in agreement with Andy and left with him I'm afraid. It makes more sense to me on the old myspace than it did live although it's still many miles from my cup of tea. I think this is the danger you guys face as the type of music you are playing will be inaccesible to some people's lugs. There seemed to be folk digging it down the front so I guess its a matter of taste more than anything (don't give up on my critique!). I thought there was far too much sax as well which added to the overall cacophony that I was hearing, not my favourite instrument at the best of times. I would advise being more frugal with your bugle Colin.....

I am not in the Snake Temple Kings by the way :p

one of the worst things in Aberdeen, eh?

Hehe. Well feedback is feedback, so thanks for giving your thoughts.

I will say in our defence that essentially we had seven different instruments on stage, and a soundcheck would have been very helpful. I have played the moorings before without soundchecks and its all been ok, but on this occassion i was left dissappointed.

I would also perhaps agree that there is too much happening at once at any given time, which is something we'll have to work on.

I'm not totally downhearted however, as we played a gig supporting Wishbone Ash at the LT in October. It was the same set, but we played a lot better, the sound was a lot better, and as a result we got lots of positive feedback. Onwards and upwards I say. We'll work on refining our sound a lot more, and hopefully, if you see us again, you'll see improvement.

Also, Indafusion were bloody ace. As ever!

Good stuff. Probably right about the soundcheck. Moorings not the place for you maybe.

Missed Eric Euan, thought Jackie Treehorn were really good musically and compositionally, not keen on the vocal style. Too much yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaah. Bought their CD, will give it a listen once I'm Indafusioned out.

I just get too excited!! ;)

But point noted for future ref. As it was mostly ad-lib much can be axed/refined.

Got to start somewhere though and plenty of good response from the crowd for a second gig. Bands rarely play their first gigs to unanimous acclaim anyway. The sound was actually the only bad comment I heard other than it not being to people's musical taste. Some of the music is fairly challenging but that should mean all the more reason to persevere.

The Snake Temples, although only their second gig, played a great set. I was liking the songs flowing into each other without any breaks. The only thing I wasn't keen on was the sound which is really rare for the Moorings. The mix just didn't seem right - I couldn't hear much of the keyboards and vocals. Apart from that, this band has extreme potential. I hope they stick at it.

We had a much needed re-cone on the Monday following this gig. It had been booked for a few weeks, but the bits took a long time to come. The low mid on the RHS was totally crispy.

The centre monitor on stage is blown and STILL awaiting a replcement driver, so it is presently difficult to hear everything on stage, especially with lots of players. The factory that was subcontracted to produce them has gone bust, so the manufacturer is in process of moving the tooling elsewhere, so this nusciance circumstance may persist for a while yet. Not a problem for 3 piece bands though LOL.

But I also think there is too much clutter with the STK. This is something that I've commented on before at jams, and listening to their recorded stuff. Please use your instruments more sparingly! It seems like there is guitar, keyboard, sax, and vocal all competing for the same space.

We had a much needed re-cone on the Monday following this gig. It had been booked for a few weeks, but the bits took a long time to come. The low mid on the RHS was totally crispy.

The centre monitor on stage is blown and STILL awaiting a replcement driver, so it is presently difficult to hear everything on stage, especially with lots of players. The factory that was subcontracted to produce them has gone bust, so the manufacturer is in process of moving the tooling elsewhere, so this nusciance circumstance may persist for a while yet. Not a problem for 3 piece bands though LOL.

But I also think there is too much clutter with the STK. This is something that I've commented on before at jams, and listening to their recorded stuff. Please use your instruments more sparingly! It seems like there is guitar, keyboard, sax, and vocal all competing for the same space.

Also one other Problem I had, was the Vocal into a delay box. So everything the vocal mic picked up was delayed also, which in turn made everything very muddy, Maybe let the delay be added at the desk side then it can be gated to filter out all but vocals.

Yeah, the vocal effects unit that was being used does seem to cause some problems, so i have no doubt that that was the main reason for whatever vocals may have been lost in the mix.

Our drummer, Thomas, often plays very complex rhythms which can be hard for the rest of the band to play in time with. This can result in confusion, which means that its very important our on stage sound is right.

Still, i hear what you're saying about the clutter, which can only further confusion to trying to hear each other and stay perfectly in time. We're currently re-recording all our music, overdubbing everything. This will hopefully allow for us to listen to all the parts in greater detail, and allow us to cut back on any unnecessary instrumentation while developing what we've already got. I'll be sure to inform folks of when these recordings have been done, and hopefully they will be featuring Nik Turner of Hawkwind on them too which should be fun :)

Cheers for all the feedback though. We genuinly find it useful and so will use it constructively!

I'll be sure to inform folks of when these recordings have been done, and hopefully they will be featuring Nik Turner of Hawkwind on them too which should be fun :)

Cheers for all the feedback though. We genuinly find it useful and so will use it constructively!

Cool I'll look forward to hearing it. Or should that be "listen forward to hearing it"?