aberdeen-music

Scalloped Fretboard - Opinions Please

Diesel

Folks,

I'm looking for thoughts, experiences, hints, tips etc on scalloped fretboards.

Anyone who's seen my recent wanted post will know that I'm after a Steinberger or Hohner headless guitar (like the wee short-arsed one EVH used in the 80's).

I have the opportunity of buying one, but it has a professionally scalloped fretboard. The guitar is in London, I'm up up here, so trying it out first is not an option.

It's not particularly expensive, so it might be worth the risk.

They are hard to come by and I just missed out on a standard one on eBay, but I want to have secured one before the end of Feb, when I head off.

I appreciate that it may be a matter of taste, but any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

what i had heard is that it doesnt make you play quicker (the action will still be the same) but allows for greater grip/control of bends. But then again never played on a guitar with a scalloped neck so it may just be the internet rumor mill at work.

Guest DustyDeviada

The only time I've ever seen one was when we used to play gigs with Pure Lead, their guitarist had scalloped one of his guitars. I think they have reformed as Liars Dice now.

You might want to check out some reviews of the Malmsteem strat on Harmony Central, it has a scalloped fretboard.

from good old Wikipedia:

Advantages and disadvantages

The "scooped out" nature of scalloped fingerboards creates a number a changes in the way the guitar plays.

Most obvious, is that the string only comes into contact with the frets of the guitar, not the fingerboard itself, creating less friction for bends and vibratos, which results in more overall control while playing. Another advantage is that the player only needs to apply a fraction of the pressure to a scalloped fingerboard to make the note sound, as compared to a traditional fingerboard. This allows the guitarist to play faster, because they don't have to invest as much effort into fretting each note.

However, that is also one of the main disadvantages. Many players, especially new players, may find a scalloped fingerboard to be too different to play easily. And it does take practice to play well on a scalloped fingerboard. The player has to first become accustomed to not actually touching the fingerboard, which may take a while in itself. Playing a scalloped fingerboard also requires a careful balance of pressure; because too much pressure can change the pitch of the fretted note, as during a bend, and too little pressure can cause fret buzz. As a result the majority players choose to use a traditional fingerboard on their instruments.

I dont like seafood.

Im sure Mr Cynic can better that one.:music:

Dear dear....this wasn't the plaice for that joke!

10 Fish/Seafood bands, etc...(Haven't we done this before???)

Lee 'Scratch' Periwinkle

Smokie Robinson

Dolly Partan

Buckie Owens

808 Skate

Anemone of the Skate

Squid Row

Ringo Starfish

New York Dulse

Goldfish Lookin' Chain

Dear dear....this wasn't the plaice for that joke!

10 Fish/Seafood bands, etc...(Haven't we done this before???)

Lee 'Scratch' Periwinkle

Smokie Robinson

Dolly Partan

Buckie Owens

808 Skate

Anemone of the Skate

Squid Row

Ringo Starfish

New York Dulse

Goldfish Lookin' Chain

Sepultuna

Prawntera

Gerri Halibut

Cod Forbid/Lamb Of Cod/Eyehatecod etc etc etc

Eel Big Fish

Stickleback

...and so forth!

When you say "I surrender" you lead me perfectly into my brief reply.

I am a fan of Ritchie Blackmore and read many years ago that he played scalloped fretboards.

The article said that it really suited his style because he never usually played more than 3 strings at a time.

Does that mean that it is less suitable for playing full chords? That seemed to be the implication.

All - I've sourced an "unscalloped" Hohner GT3, so thank you all for your input, aquatic or otherwise.

The general conscensus is "barge-pole" on the scallops ;)

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK !!!!

Fuckin' bastardin' FUCK!!!!

The one I've sourced is a LEFT-HANDER.

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

I'm NEVER going to get one of these, Oh Lord, why do you taunt me so ???

When you say "I surrender" you lead me perfectly into my brief reply.

I am a fan of Ritchie Blackmore and read many years ago that he played scalloped fretboards.

The article said that it really suited his style because he never usually played more than 3 strings at a time.

Does that mean that it is less suitable for playing full chords? That seemed to be the implication.

It's probably because you don't have a fretboard to stop you when you exert too much pressure on a string. I imagine it's easy enough (with practice) to play a few notes at a time when but if you try a barre chord for example, it would be very difficult to apply the same (light) amount of pressure to each string.

Guest DustyDeviada
FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK !!!!

Fuckin' bastardin' FUCK!!!!

The one I've sourced is a LEFT-HANDER.

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

I'm NEVER going to get one of these, Oh Lord, why do you taunt me so ???

Ha! Surely though in the same way that a Hofner bass is easy to convert between right/left handed, a Steinberger would be the same? Probably just need a new nut.