aberdeen-music

wanted: old curtains

HairyScaryMark

Try charity shops - The VSA have one on George Street (right hand side heading up towards Kittybrewster, just before the Hutcheon Street lights) that is specifically for curtains, blankets and bedding. They've also got a massive one on the Gallowgate beside St Margaret's chuch (opposite the Blue Lamp). They wash everything (I think) so it shouldn't smell.

Regards

Flossie

• Upvote 1

Thank you. Just to check I would be giving money to a charity via the shop and the isn't designed for the shopping benefit of those in need of charity (like the council run place that you give old furniature to)?

The idea is to get rid of some acoustic reflections in my practice room/studio, may also make a subtle difference to overall soundproofing. Not really a lot of money to spend on such things at the moment so charity shop may be a reasonable idea.......

Other things I am planning on inlucde second doors, foam placed in outside doorway, curtain over inside of door (perhaps) and more intelligent placement of monitor speakers.

Problem is this will only really deal with sound leaking out one side of the house and not the other (which there are neighbours at)

Curtains may knock some of the highs off reflected sound but won't make any difference to lows or low mids. Also, they will have zero effect on soundproofing. Aside from spending 5000 properly soundproofing your room, practical solutions could be to buy some acoustic foam tiles to attach to walls/corners to stop reflections and follow Stripeys advice.

We already have wall tiles and acoustic foam. There are bookshelves on every wall which dampen the sound quite nicely also. Overall, this works quite well but not well enough from a sound proofing point of view. I think 2nd outside door is a must (with a good bit of space between the doors). I notice a lot of sound leaks out through there. Cannot do much about the front of the room due to design/layout. Could make a marjinal difference by installing the 2nd inside door of suitable material.

I also have some spair foam (left over when room was converted) which can be placed at doors and other weak points, it makes a reasonable difference.

The problem is not really recording (which is only done ocasioanlly at loud volumes) or mix down. I can play at suitable mix down volumes in the middle of the night and bother nobody.

The problem is rehearsal with a ridiculously loud drummer where monitor levels are pushed up as a result. Even with the headphone monitoring, the drums will still be too loud.

I have used headphone amps in the past. It worked quite well but the drums were picked up too greatly by the vocal mics. I tried gating the mics but this annoyed vocalists as they kept cutitng out with only limited difference to the drums. I am sure better use of gates could help this and may try it again in the future.

I should also remember this happens with speaker monitors and try to do something about it.

Also discovered the samson headphone amplifiers do not go loud enough for practices with drummers without distorting (faulty design). I will probably invest in another set of headphone amplifiers that have plenty of headroom when I have some money to spair. The band are cheapskates and would not spend any money on gear for the practice room.

The house is fully detached but the converted garage/studio is at the side where the neighbours are. Haven't had any complaints yet but I think it says more about the politeness of our neighbours rather than the level of soundproofing. I wish to keep this as a sustainable practice setup.

What about the old egg cartons on the wall trick? Do you like eggs?

I heard that was an urban myth.

• 4 weeks later...