aberdeen-music

Book Club - Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Chris

this book is absolutely outstanding and i've lent it to several people including colleagues and my good lady and mother will be getting it next.

it starts off reasonably slowly, but because you know what happens based on the blurb, it's not tough to keep going and once the story starts to unfold, it's so well written it amazed me. not tough to read, just descriptive and gentle, even at the harshest points of the story.

there's a bit near the start where pi takes up all the religions and the way he describes and comes to follow each (particularly christianity) i found to be extremely poignant and read them over and over again.

the ending is also brilliant. you can imagine the confusion of anyone coming across him and the story he shares with the japanese guys (i think they were japanese) really made me sit up an go 'wow'

all in all, an extremely satisfying read and one of the best books i've ever had the pleasure to come across.

/x

I loved this book.

It was all sooo believeable (except for the bit on the island.)

I liked the way he included loads of facts about other survivers, ways to train Richard the Tiger, diet, what to look for when searching for land.

The bit about him catching and killing his first fish was brilliant. As a long time veggie I could relate to all his thoughts and guilt.

Just blinkin' marvellous.

Pete

inthehills

• 3 months later...

I've been awake since 6.30am finishing off this book and oh my! The ending was amazing, I can only assume that the wee report at the end means that the Japanese guys did believe him, but from the start I did suspect that what turned out to be the second story, was the truth that whole time.

It's a beautiful story, my only complaint would be that it's all a little too tidy. His parents don't give him any grief about the religious aspect, the animals as humans allegory was a bit cliched.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Such an amazing book. I read it for my personal study in Higher English but ended up doing 'Music of Chance' by Paul Auster in the end. Anyway, totally got lost in it. The first 100 or so pages were a bit slow-going but the rest more than made up for that. The suspense with him in the boat with the tiger was spot on. Think I might take it on holiday next month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I read this about two years ago; don't even care if it won the booker prize, I disliked it ALOT. Talking tigers? Living on a lifeboat?

Some ''inner meanings''? WITM8.

To my surprise, I found this book in my loft after reading this thread. I thought it was going to be shit cause I thought it had talking animals in it(The boy only thought it was the tiger talking in his confused tired state)Anyways, great book, I'd recommend it to anyone.

• 3 weeks later...