aberdeen-music

Rage Against The Machine to reform?

Untitled

RATM has never been about the music, its about the message they take across and for the record rage against the machine split up because not enough people actually sat down and listened to what they where saying as a band. Anyone who thinks rage against the machine is about the music has completely missed the point the band was trying to make.

RATM has never been about the music, its about the message they take across and for the record rage against the machine split up because not enough people actually sat down and listened to what they where saying as a band. Anyone who thinks rage against the machine is about the music has completely missed the point the band was trying to make.

I wouldn't say so. I listen to a lot of music without paying attention to 'the message' contained within the songs. Personally I couldn't give two hoots about some of the causes that rage supports, but I still enjoy the music.

My awareness of the causes that rage champion was heightened through listening to them so to a certain extent maybe their music did work on me........

I wouldn't say so. I listen to a lot of music without paying attention to 'the message' contained within the songs. Personally I couldn't give two hoots about some of the causes that rage supports, but I still enjoy the music.

My awareness of the causes that rage champion was heightened through listening to them so to a certain extent maybe their music did work on me........

It is because of the lack of interest in what they were saying that they split, in other words it was people like you who made the choice for the band splitting up.

wikipedia says...

Zack De La Rocha

The music and the message were so intertwined for him that he did not consider any of Rage's albums a success unless they provoked tangible political change.

Rage's second and third albums peaked at number one in the United States, but did not result in the political action de la Rocha had hoped for. He became increasingly restless and undertook collaborations with artists like KRS-One, Chuck D, and Public Enemy.

wikipedia's a great tool :up:

As for making a difference politically through music, perhaps the metal/rap hybrid wasn't the best vehicle for it. It's good for a boogie, but anyone beyond the age of fourteen who is interested in politics will find more inspiring and thought-provoking works in abundance elsewhere.

Although, the fans that were younger were opened up to political ideas that would no doubt open there eyes and make them question and take an invested interested in politics in the future, for which rage and its members should be proud of.

Yes, absolutely. They should be happy with that. However, Zack De La Rocha's never struck me as a particularly humble or pragmatic character, how. Maybe he genuinely did believe that with his rage he could change the world.

My thoughts are that he's taking one last stab at making some change with this reformation, due to the heightened political stances and problems in the world at the moment. All we need to do now is wait and see what will happen.

As for making a difference politically through music, perhaps the metal/rap hybrid wasn't the best vehicle for it. It's good for a boogie, but anyone beyond the age of fourteen who is interested in politics will find more inspiring and thought-provoking works in abundance elsewhere.

Besides, why write a song like "Renegades of Funk" if all you're interested in is your political messsage? Say jam, sucka...

but renegades wasnt a proper release, it was a covers cd really, bit like with a a perfect circle and emotive, i couldnt class that as a proper release. I have always considered rap to be the most vocal way of putting a message across.

Although, the fans that were younger were opened up to political ideas that would no doubt open there eyes and make them question and take an invested interested in politics in the future, for which rage and its members should be proud of.

very good point, thats what it did for me

but renegades wasnt a proper release, it was a covers cd really, bit like with a a perfect circle and emotive, i couldnt class that as a proper release. I have always considered rap to be the most vocal way of putting a message across.

But why would a band with such apparent straight forward intentions attempt to confuse people by bringing out a cd that was all about the songs and NOT about the message??

It's obviously a glitch in your theory. You may not class it as a proper release, but I'm sure the money that Rage recieved for recording it was more than enough proof for them.

You are unbelievably full of shit.

You always seem to make these 'facts' without any proof or a source to link to.

Then perhaps you would like to point out how my statement "is full of shit " with proof of your own? instead of posting non constructive crap that make your iq look shallow

But why would a band with such apparent straight forward intentions attempt to confuse people by bringing out a cd that was all about the songs and NOT about the message??

It's obviously a glitch in your theory. You may not class it as a proper release, but I'm sure the money that Rage recieved for recording it was more than enough proof for them.

simply because it was against the wishes of zach. He was the political force in rage, for that reason he didnt want this cd brought out

zach didnt want renegades released because it was being capiltalist. The record didnt hold any political vibe, so was made just for the money (sadly). Thats according to the book i think.

they are reforming because both zach and tom met again at a save the farms rally in somethin like 2004.

in 2006 police and protesters clashed at one of these farms. The next month the bulldozers moved in. Rage was reborn.

thats basicly in a very short way what kerrang have said. whether thats true or not is another matter. the article also says there's more shows planned with people trying to get RATM on UK festivals.

it's in this weeks kerrang if anyones interested. .

Personally any rage fans that I have ever known listen to them for the music. People talk about their intensity and their great riffs. I never hear anyone enthuse about their plight to free political prisoners.

I have to agree with you. Most of them have their parents and inane teenage rebellion in mind when they sing "Fuck you i won't do what you tell me".

Don't go near it, it is utter balls. Rage should have broken up after Evil Empire.

aww c'mon "CALM LIKE A BOMB!!!" and "Sleep now in the fire" are among the best rage songs. also does anyone know if this performance will be broadcast to the world in any way,it would be a terrible shame for only a few americans to see this,what may be a legendary performance.

simply because it was against the wishes of zach. He was the political force in rage, for that reason he didnt want this cd brought out

I think its pretty hypocritical that somebody could preach revolution to the public when they wouldn't even stand up to their own bandmates. I think Renegades was released after he left, but he still recorded the songs.

I have to agree with you. Most of them have their parents and inane teenage rebellion in mind when they sing "Fuck you i won't do what you tell me".

This is the great tragedy of Rage Against the Machine, that they will forever be remembered for that line and associated with typical teen rebellion, when infact Zack is up there with the great political lyricists, IMO. He's one of the few politically vocal musicians who knows exactly what he's talking about as opposed to just mouthing off meaningless statements like "Fuck Bush and Fuck the system".

It is because of the lack of interest in what they were saying that they split, in other words it was people like you who made the choice for the band splitting up.

That's a beauty, that one. It really is.

That drivel aside, I always thought the split was down to the distance between Zack and the others. I seem to remember tensions within the band got higher as they weren't really talking and the straw that broke the camels back was when Tim climbed up a pillar as a protest against Britney Spears (there's a name you thought you'd never see in this thread) at an MTV awards ceremony.

Musically they were never on the same page as Zack only wrote the lyrics after the music was in the can - so it is fair to say that in many ways De La Rocha was more interested in the political side of things. No more so than Morello though - he just sees the appeal in a motherfucka of a riff and making one guitar sound like two turntables AND "Zapata's Blood."

And isn't the whole point of the Renegades album that it's Renagade songs by Reneagde artists? I'm sure I got a mailout from Rage, In fact I'm definitely sure I got a mailout from Rage before the album was released with a track - by - track description from Morello and he said the songs were chosen as they were all written by Renegades in their own right who influenced the band. He also said if it was up to him it would have had songs by The Clash, The Sex Pistols and Public Enemy on it, but "democracy ruled." Nothing about it was "capitalist" - Rage knew the only way they could get the message across was by signing to a major and they were fine with it. As long as they had full creative control and could endorse their causes they had no problem. "If you've got something to say you may as well say it to as many people as possible." And of course it's a fucking proper release - Covers albums, as shite as they may be in some cases, count as an official release.

Or "fuck you I won't do what you tell me"....................

The entire point of my post was, he said a lot more besides that, whereas many 'political' artists nowadays have stretched that one line into a career.

Tim climbed up a pillar as a protest against Britney Spears (there's a name you thought you'd never see in this thread) at an MTV awards ceremony.

It was during Limp Bizkit's acceptance speech for Best Rock Video at the 2000 MTV VMA's.