aberdeen-music

Why do people go to see bands?

Leckie Gilman

Why?

What makes you wanna go to a show and see bands give it shit on stage?

Is it because you genuinely enjoy going to see live music?

Do you only go if it's a band you are a fan of that is playing?

Do you go only when it's your mates band playing and you feel obliged to go?

Do you fancy the singer in a band and wanna score with him/her?

Do you go to gain credibility?

Do you go because there's nothing else to do and you go to clubs and the band's just there?

or what?

What makes YOU wanna get up off your butt and go to a show?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Craig

I like going to gigs because I love music. So much so, that the gigs in this city weren't enough for me, so I started putting them on :)

Which by the way leads me onto the point about tonights gig at Moshulu...come one, come all ;)

I go to see bands because I fucking love it!

Locally I like to see if anyone is doing anything original, what their set up is and other generally interesting things like how much wax the guitarist uses in his hair.

I generally only go to see touring bands that I like, not just beacause I've heard one of their songs on scuzz. I love going to gigs and singing along to all the songs.

Guest Scott 5FD

i go to gigs coz i enjoy live music.

generally if a band gives a good performance, then no matter if i like the music or not, i'll still have enjoyed it.

i live, breath and sleep music so it all goes hand in hand.

I go for the live music. I prefer live music to recorded music anyday. The whole atmosphere that you get can be brilliant but at the same time can be shit. I dont get it why some people wont mosh or dance/ska to bands when they play as its much ebtter than jsut standing watch a band play.

I go to a gig for one of the following reasons:

1) They have posters which interest me. Like a poster would say: "Dozer: insanely heavy and psychedelic stoner rock form Sweden". Point of note: a poster that says Deadenstereo, date, venue would not interest me if I didn't know anything about said band.

2) I saw them at a gig, either playing with a band I like, or playing with my band. If I thought they were good, I'd go see them again.

3) Someone whose musical opinion I respect, told me about them. Like when I went to Perth last month to see the Phantom Riffage. Who ruled.

4) Sad as I am to admit it, I'll sometimes go see bands who have a lot of buzz on the net, specifically Jockrock. As much as I hate the attitude on that board (there isn't a board like this for Edinburger). I'll download an MP3 first though. I trust opinions on this board more, even if there is a slight metal bent occasionally. I like a bit of metal, but I wouldn't say I'm a big fan.

I've seen a lot of bands. When I started uni I used to go to a lot of local gigs. Now that I play regularly I get to see a lot of bands. If I play three gigs a month that's at least 6, possibly 9 new bands. 90% of them may not be bad, but they don't have the 'X' factor that would make me go back and see them. Or I don't like their music. Or if I think they are fashionable pricks with fancy haircuts. See Colour of Fire and Degrassi.

File me under cynical/jaded.

All I ask is for some guy to come on stage and play half sleavy, half stadium rock with a stoner bent, rip his t-shirt off, ram his Flying V into some uninterested punter's face and totally wail. I think a band should entertain live.

Some people have difficulties equating what we sound like on record and what we sound like live. That cost us a deal with Hackpen, even though we warned them!

Anyway, I'm off on one.

Craig

Originally posted by missdawn:

I go to gigs because I enjoy hearing live music. I am guilty of going cos there's nothing else to do though

Come to think of it I have only ever seen you at the likes of whitmore, jesse james the 44's etc.

Originally posted by ASH:

Come to think of it I have only ever seen you at the likes of whitmore, jesse james the 44's etc.

RIGHT ok let's get one thing straight. I don't go to local gigs very often because I don't like the atmosphere. It's as simple as that. There are few people off the boards I actually like and get on with and whom like me in return. YES, ok, fair enough, I've seen Jesse James and Whitmore more times than I care to think of at the moment, but just because you've only seen me at those gigs doesnt give you the right to start provoking me and telling me that I'm in it for 'the scene' (which is quite a lame insult) I hate the way how, if you don't go to local gigs you automatically SUCK because you're not supporting the scene. Pfff, so I don't go to local gigs? So fucking what. So I'm not broadening my music horizons? Well, last time I checked, it was up to me what I liked and what I didn't, and not to be told I'm not scene enough by people I've met on an Internet messageboard and who don't actually know me in real life. Get a fucking grip.

ALSO there is a lack of money, and bus times and that I have to go to school the next day (as most of the decent Drakes/ Moshulu gigs are on a weeknight) SAYING THAT I have been to more local gigs in the last few months than I had before.

RIGHT ok let's get one thing straight. I don't go to local gigs very often because I don't like the atmosphere. It's as simple as that. There are few people off the boards I actually like and get on with and whom like me in return. YES, ok, fair enough, I've seen Jesse James and Whitmore more times than I care to think of at the moment, but just because you've only seen me at those gigs doesnt give you the right to start provoking me and telling me that I'm in it for 'the scene' (which is quite a lame insult) I hate the way how, if you don't go to local gigs you automatically SUCK because you're not supporting the scene. Pfff, so I don't go to local gigs? So fucking what. So I'm not broadening my music horizons? Well, last time I checked, it was up to me what I liked and what I didn't, and not to be told I'm not scene enough by people I've met on an Internet messageboard and who don't actually know me in real life. Get a fucking grip.

ALSO there is a lack of money, and bus times and that I have to go to school the next day (as most of the decent Drakes/ Moshulu gigs are on a weeknight) SAYING THAT I have been to more local gigs in the last few months than I had before.

Ok, I never once in my post provoked you and never insulted you by saying that you were in it for the scene. You have completely made up what you just said as I never said half of it in the firstplace.

Ok firstly who cares if you dotn like the people its for the music not the people! I went to Drakes on Friday only hearing 2 bands before all by myself. There was some people i knew but I didnt really talk to them so dont give me crap about the people going there because who cares who goes as long as the music and performance is good!

The atmosphere I feel is quite good but I admit not as good as it used to be(that is only from what ive been told). THIS IS WHERE I THINK PEOPLE SHOULDNT INTERACT MORE! GET MOSHING GET SKANKING GET DANCING CHEER LAUGH APPLAUD WHATEVER! As long as you do soemthing to help the crowd be more lively then the gig will feel much better. Trust me.

Im not saying you suck because you dont go to local gigs. Im complaining because you moan about the local music scene being messed however you do fuck all to help the local music scene(and neither do i) so therefore you shouldnt be complaining.

Whatever. How were you to know whether you provoked me or not? *shrugs* If I took it too far then yeah, I apologise, but I won't apologise for however I interpreted it. I wasn't just referring to you, it's just what Camie said earlier and how EVERYONE goes on about how you're only in it for the scene if you don't go to local gigs. In honesty, there isn't a lot in the local scene that interests me.

Originally posted by Camie:

Ok firstly who cares if you dotn like the people its for the music not the people! I went to Drakes on Friday only hearing 2 bands before all by myself. There was some people i knew but I didnt really talk to them so dont give me crap about the people going there because who cares who goes as long as the music and performance is good!

The atmosphere I feel is quite good but I admit not as good as it used to be(that is only from what ive been told). THIS IS WHERE I THINK PEOPLE SHOULDNT INTERACT MORE! GET MOSHING GET SKANKING GET DANCING CHEER LAUGH APPLAUD WHATEVER! As long as you do soemthing to help the crowd be more lively then the gig will feel much better. Trust me.

Im not saying you suck because you dont go to local gigs. Im complaining because you moan about the local music scene being messed however you do fuck all to help the local music scene(and neither do i) so therefore you shouldnt be complaining.

Well if I were in it 'for the music' (as you put it) and people I don't like are there then I'm going to feel more comfortable. At the Spunge gig at Kef in February, that was one of the best gigs I'd been to in a long time, purely because no one i knew (apart from a group of friends from school who came with me) was there, and no one was there to judge me or whatnot. Yeah, I shouldn't be scared of such petty opinions but it goes back, being judgemental and I'm judgemental myself, and I probably shouldn't be, so I'm going to say no more on the subject

As you've probably seen, I'm usually up there skanking/dancing at Kef gigs. Gigs on a bigger scale (Music Hall, ones in Glasgow etc) you have no option but to mosh really, especially if you're in the first few rows

I never said you personally said I suck, but I've never complained about the local scene. What I do 'complain' or point out is how people are calling it just that- The Scene (yes, it deserves capital letters) people are in it purely so they look as though they are contributing. In all fairness, Camie, I'd say cos you go to local gigs then you are contributing a fair bit, and I respect that, but it's just not my thing. Maybe once my exams are finished I'll go to more gigs, but for the time-being, no. PLUS, when have I complained about the state of the scene? Like I said before, few local bands really interest me and just because I prefer to buy records from more well-known bands I can't see how I'm made out to be some sort of 'fiend' in all of this.