aberdeen-music

poster pillars about town

shaun

i take it someone must have already seen these going about, so there's no point in asking that question.

when i first saw them, i thought they might have been freely for use by any promoter big or small. you have to request the use of them though, it seems. good/bad?

are these the things someone posted about the council putting up?

I've only seen the one on belmont street. But they could've made the posters smaller so more organisations can make use of it I think. It just seems to be one big Snafu poster on that one.

there's one outside john lewis too with a poster for a hairdresser and snafu again, i think.

Snafu don't own them, they're just pursuing their usual strategy of total overkill on the marketing front.

Continental-style advertising pillars installed in Aberdeen

see in that press release, is that the same ian harding who owns kef who is in charge of the advertising? wouldn't there be a conflict of interests there? forgive me if it's a bad spy.

i like the idea of these pillars and i've been saying for a long time that they'd be a good thing. it'll be interesting to see how they fare. it's a shame the council has decided that most of the pillars should be taken up by giant adverts for furniture stores(certainly the one outside markies is anyway).

Snafu don't own them, they're just pursuing their usual strategy of total overkill on the marketing front.

Continental-style advertising pillars installed in Aberdeen

How can you have total overkill on marketing? I think savvy and cost-efficient are the words you're looking for. Would you have preferred Liquid to have bought them up?

As one of the biggest bookers of talent, local and high-profile, in the North-East, why shouldn't protect our investment by making our venue known to as many people as possible? If other organsations aren't as experienced or creative enough in their marketing, why should we be the same?

Seems a flippant and pointless comment if you ask me (or even if you don't).

I respect this last post much more than the previous one. I don't believe we are at saturation point otherwise we would be busy every night of the week. We're aware that some people who are about town alot will see our posters and get handed flyers everywhere but there's a large percentage of the population that don't. That's why these pillars are ideal for catching the weekend shoppers, 9 to 5-ers, etc. who aren't exposed to our publicity because at the end of the day we can't afford to have Northsound 1, Grampian/STV and Evening Express glossy adverts. We make use of what we can afford in the best possible way.

It's quite possible for someone, in an average day, to be given a flyer on Belmont Street, see posters when they go shopping in One-Up, more posters when they have a coffee in Kilau and then maybe get given another flyer in the evening when they're out. That person might think "Fucking hell, all I see is Snafu!". Then again, the person that drives from the suburbs to work, parks in the office car park, drives home at night, watches TV and only goes to the West End at the weekends will see none of our promotional material. That's who we're after with these pillars. I know not all these people are our target-market but some of them are.

what the...?

Dave, you are so full of shit!

Even with your further posts RE Snafu it still just sems like sour grapes to me! You realise there is more to life than the tiny little cupboard upstairs that you work in that's meant to be a nightclub yeah?

Christ!

Haha I highly doubt Dave is bitter.

Seems a silly thing to get worked up about. If Snafu can afford it, they have every right, like any other establishment in the city to advertise through the use of flyers, posters and now these pillars.

The only knowledge of Snafu I have is when I played with my band there on a DHC night, but it was quite busy, but that's no reason to say they can't advertise because they already have enough folk through the door. That to me, just seems like a childish jibe.

Seems a silly thing to get worked up about. If Snafu can afford it, they have every right, like any other establishment in the city to advertise through the use of flyers, posters and now these pillars.

The only knowledge of Snafu I have is when I played with my band there on a DHC night, but it was quite busy, but that's no reason to say they can't advertise because they already have enough folk through the door. That to me, just seems like a childish jibe.

This post is near perfect.

I think the only time it would be an issue would be if Snafu were taking up most of the space to the detriment of other, smaller promoters with less of a budget. I don't know if that is a problem here or not, are there any limitations on how much of the pillar you can take up? As long as no-one is missing out because of it, you can't really blame a company for pushing their wares wherever they can.

Thanks :) I should visit it more. I do tend to pick up a GCG in paper format when I spot them.

I've got most of February in the Tunnels up already, and if you have a "chipper" moment, use the search at the top of the calendar, if it's after today and on the website it'll find it with even partial band names.

He didn't used to. Maybe he's now using your calendar as online storage in case his computer goes tits up again, or maybe he has more time to do it because he's not holding bits of wood for Jim to hit every 5 minutes.

Well, either way, he is more than welcome to do so. As is everyone else for that matter! I wish our calendar had a search function though. :/

I could write one now I'm all PHP trained.

Not that I'm offering, but you know, I could...

Yeah, as could I. But time is rarely on my side when it comes to things like that. Thinking about it a bit more, the calendar is searchable in a way. Because each event added to the calendar now automatically creates a new thread in the Gig & Events forum (and vice-versa) so when you normally perform a search of the forums you are searching all these threads for events in the calendar as well.

Anyway, this is off-topic. Back to the pillars! I think they are a great idea, but I doubt they'll help cut down on flyering and the like (assuming that is one of the reasons they've been put up).

Is it just me or is flying one of the most completely inefficient and ineffective ways of advertising something? I hate it.