aberdeen-music

Laptop buying advice

Chris

I'm getting a bit fed up of the problems by increasingly aged desktop is having, so I'm starting to think about buying a laptop to replace it (could do with the space in my living room back). The problem is I don't know much about laptops and what's good for the money. So can anyone recommend a couple of good models and online stores to buy from?

My needs:

I have an ongoing boycott of spending large amounts of money in Dixons group stores, so don't tell me to go to PC World. I'm not a moron anyway so I'm outwith their demographic.

This is to be a desktop replacement so I'm not looking for entry level, but my budget is quite constrained. 500 - 800 really. Looking for good performance at a good price really.

I don't play many games these days but would like it to be able to process music and run complex apps. Again I'm not looking for a 1500 gaming machine but I'd like it to have a minimum of 1Gb RAM and a bearable graphics processor for what little games I do play.

I'm not interested in a Macbook or anything running Linux.

Guest onlynik

How about a Dell, you can customise what you require, but don't buy the memory from them, just get it with base memory, then buy additional from crucial, that will save you packets. The other thing about memory is that you may find that the graphics card memory is shared or partially shared with the system memory.

There is also Evesham, though they seem to be pricier than I remember.

and they're expensive for the performance you get, they're like sony in that respect.

Laptop wise, yes.

I don't like MacBooks, though Apple's OS tends to be nicer. Just build your own throug a site. Or go to a music based webstore and look at some of the dedicated music systems they've got, having said that though they'll prob be outwith the price band you mentioned.

Laptop wise, yes.

I don't like MacBooks, though Apple's OS tends to be nicer. Just build your own throug a site. Or go to a music based webstore and look at some of the dedicated music systems they've got, having said that though they'll prob be outwith the price band you mentioned.

Yeah I meant to write vaio in there to make it clear I was just talking about Sony laptops.

Guest onlynik

Components

INSPIRON 6400 Intel Core™ Duo Processor T2050 (1.60 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB) edit

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (incl Operating System Re-Install CD) - English edit

VISTA UPGRADE MCE to Vista Premium Upgrade on www.dellvistaupgrade.com before 03/31/07 edit

SUPPORT SERVICES Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only edit

LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display edit

MEMORY 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x512) edit

HARD DRIVE 120GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive edit

OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW with Software edit

GRAPHICS CARD 256MB ATI Mobility™ Radeon X1400 HyperMemory™ graphics card edit

PRIMARY BATTERY 6 Cell, 56Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit

Accessories

WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Intel Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini PCI Wireless LAN Card for Duo Processors edit

CARRY CASES Free - Deluxe Nylon Carry Case edit

SOUND SOFTWARE Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD™ Audio- Full Version edit

FLOPPY/MEDIA DRIVES No Floppy Drive Option edit

COLOR CHOICE No Snap on LCD Back Cover edit

Services & Software

SECURITY SOFTWARE Free - Upgrade to McAfee Security Centre™ 36-month Protection edit

MICROSOFT SOFTWARE Microsoft Works 8.5 - English edit

PHOTOGRAPHY SOFTWARE No Photo Organising & Sharing Software/No Photo Editing Software edit

Also included with your system

KEYBOARD Internal Keyboard - UK/Ire (QWERTY)

Gedis Bundle Reference List N01646 - DHS 6400 (2)

Order Information Inspiron Order - UK

Shipping Documents System Documentation

Adobe Reader English - Adobe Reader 8.5.8

Power Supply 65W AC Adapter

Modem 56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter

Standard Warranty Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only

Money Off Savings Save 70 (inc VAT)

Dell Internet Order Dell Internet Order.

NETWORK ASSISTANT Network Assist 1.2 - 90 Day Trial

SYSTEM MEDIA Resource CD - contains Diagnostics and Drivers

Its a bit jumbles but it costs 767

1 gig ram

120 gig drive

Core duo cpu

ATI x1400 mobile gfx

Don't buy a sony vaio with an integrated ati card. Ati refuse to support the chips and Sony refuse to update the drivers. Infact if you walk past a sony vaio in the shop window show your disgust with an appropriate hand gesture.

Oh i'm selling mine if anyones interested.

Guest Neutral
i have an acer laptop. i likes it. aspire 5612WLMi.

Only brand of laptops that I have had no trouble with.

Try and get a 2 - 5 year guarantee a lot only come with 1 year - Fujitsu-Siemens(bad)

Guest onlynik
Only brand of laptops that I have had no trouble with.

Try and get a 2 - 5 year guarantee a lot only come with 1 year - Fujitsu-Siemens(bad)

They have really bad batteries and chargers, I have had to sent in excess of 10 back to Acer. However they are covered by the guarantee.

I find the keyboards rather spongey.

Guest Neutral
They have really bad batteries and chargers, I have had to sent in excess of 10 back to Acer. However they are covered by the guarantee.

I find the keyboards rather spongey.

Mine was an old one, sold it after 7 years, don't really know about new ones but im assuming the best

My work all use DELLS and every single one has packed in. I use my own Samsung V25 (4 years +) and it is still faster than most people's although almost everything has broken...

HOWEVER....... having been PC my whole life i now have a Macbook (black) at home and will never go back to PCs again.

Perfect for everything that i require which is Emails, More emails, dtp, portability and connectivity.

Went into the Apple store on Regent St and it is like a Toy Shop for grownups.

this is the best link an apple user can find:

AC Adapter B922-5464 PowerBook G4 / iBook DUSB / iPod UK AC Plug Adapter Apple Mac Parts and Repairs from VIS Ltd

r