with very able local support from

Sarah J Tingle

Fiona Keenan

Wednesday 24th January

Doors 8pm

Entry 6

The Tunnels, Carnegies Brae, Aberdeen. AB10 1BF Phone (01224)211121

Jess Klein

A native of Rochester, NY, Jess Klein picked up the acoustic guitar and started writing songs while living in Kingston, Jamaica in her late teens. On a whim she auditioned for a guest slot at a local weekly dub poetry and music session, where, upon hearing the first song Klein had written, the host, locally renowned author Lady Elean Thomas declared, 'She have soul, mon'. Klein returned home, moved to Boston, and began performing locally. After independently releasing her first two albums, winning the Telluride Troubador Songwriting Contest, and garnering several Boston Music Award nominations, she was spotted and signed to Rykodisc in 2000 by then-president George Howard. Her first release for Ryko, Draw Them Near [which received 3 ? out of four stars from USA Today], launched Klein on a worldwide tour where, among other accomplishments, she wowed 70,000 attendees at the Fuji Rock Festival in Japan. Returning to the U.S., Klein joined the songwriter collective Voices on the Verge, along with Erin McKeown, Rose Polenzani, and Beth Amsel. The foursome was featured on Good Morning America performing Klein's song 'Little White Dove', and brought crowds in small theaters across the U.S. to their feet nightly with their blend of harmonies and eclectic styles. Kleins second solo effort for Ryko, Strawberry Lover, produced by RCA recording artist Marc Copely, debuted as the Number 1 most added album at triple A radio a week before its release, was given four stars by MOJO, a plug from the nearly 80 million readership Parade, and within weeks of its release, the emotive and sensual title track was named one of the 'Top Ten sexiest songs of the moment' by the NY Daily News, alongside Fifty Cent's 'Candy Shop' and Destiny's Child's 'Soldier'. Klein's newest album, City Garden puts her soulful, passionate voice up front, and with lyrics that alternate between searing and heartbreakingly vulnerable, and a gritty, primal production style, conveys the kind of emotional intimacy that caused the Boston Globe to describe her as, 'Quite simply one of the most gifted performers this area has produced.'

http://www.jessklein.com

http://www.myspace.com/jessklein

Sarah j Tingle

Sarah is an artist (check out sarahjtingle.com ) and also a musician and songwriter. She produces her own stuff. She likes so many types of music and is difficult to define.

http://www.myspace.com/sarahjtingle

Fiona Keenan

Born in 1982 in dublin, ireland... woke up at the age of 14 and decided to become a songwriter - still working at it. Came to aberdeen in 2002 armed with a guitar to do a degree. Recorded three albums and one ep for her own label, pickled records, between 2000-2003. Played gigs in dublin, aberdeen, edinburgh and glasgow [@celtic connections in 2004] so far. Has an obsession with bizarre guitars and bizarre ways of playing them. Album number four is in the writing/demoing stage [the loveliest one] and will be recorded soon.

http://www.myspace.com/fionakeenan

Jess Klein video

A couple of songs from Jess' set:-

The Same Thing (sexy cover version of a Willie Dixon song)

YouTube - Jess Klein - The Same Thing

and self-penned "All I Ever Had" from her new album "City Garden" :-

YouTube - Jess Klein - All I Ever Had

great voice - great gig.

tf

ps - I've also got one song by Sarah Tingleon tape which i'll put up on youtube soon. Its the one where Fiona joined her on stage to do the drum sounds on the ironing board (which was last used by Faust I'm reliably informed!)

pps - i'll also put up "Joleene" due to popular demand..