aberdeen-music

Timbaland steals 6 yr old tune from finnish demoscene artist

Stripey

Guest Giles Walker

Sorry to rain on anyones parade here but isn't this what hip hop (and Timbaland is a hip hop producer) has always been about?

I mean Sugarhill Gang stole a bassline from Chic and lyrics from Grandmaster Caz, Bambaataa stole melodies from Baberuth, kraftwerk and a few others for Planet Rock. It's always been in hip hops blood to sample other artists. Look at the Go! Team for an extreme example of this. I bet this artist has received a fair amount of coverage for this and will probably stand to make at least some money from it.

Saying that, i am looking at this from a hip hop perspective so maybe other folk can change my opinion with some well reasoned responses..............

Sorry to rain on anyones parade here but isn't this what hip hop (and Timbaland is a hip hop producer) has always been about?

I mean Sugarhill Gang stole a bassline from Chic and lyrics from Grandmaster Caz, Bambaataa stole melodies from Baberuth, kraftwerk and a few others for Planet Rock. It's always been in hip hops blood to sample other artists. Look at the Go! Team for an extreme example of this. I bet this artist has received a fair amount of coverage for this and will probably stand to make at least some money from it.

Saying that, i am looking at this from a hip hop perspective so maybe other folk can change my opinion with some well reasoned responses..............

Ripping a whole tune, uncredited, claiming it's your own work and turning it into a massive profit making release is not what hiphop was ever about. The original artist stands to make nothing out of it atall.

Any track which uses a significant sample of some other commercial release has to go through a sample clearance and licensing process before it can be released itself, there's no thiefs charter in any genre of music...

but hip hop bands took samples and did something creative with them, this shit mentioned didnt, it was an exact copy

Guest Giles Walker

I wouldn't entirely agree with the above statement as Nelly Furtado did sing over the melody. It was pretty cheeky of Tim so submit someone elses music as an original piece for a ringtone. Kele Le Roc also accuses Timbaland of stealing the chorus for 'my love' from her song also called 'my love'

Here is a clip of her vocals put over the beats of timbalands 'my love'

RogePost File Hosting Service : My Love f_ Mista Mill.mp3

But at least it wasn't as bad as it could have been, after Melle Mel released 'White Lines' using Grandmaster Flash's name and the replayed version of Liquid liquid's 'Cavern' the owner of 99 records tried to approach Sugarhill to get some money or credit for the unofficial use of his property. He was threatened by thugs and even snatched off the street and dropped in the middle of nowhere for his efforts. His label ended and Liquid liquid split up because of it.