aberdeen-music

Team Spoonie and Pete's Readathon Forum

Spoonie

Team

What's the script?! Here's me, ploughing through the book club titles at a fair rate of knots, in among my other reading - seven down so far - and yet no-one else even seems to have got into our first one! three responses on the thread for I, Lucifer - pete gave us a good start, mine was a bit weak, but opened up the debate and then scott who posted to say he read it years ago, and that was it!!

come on folks, lets see what you've got to say. after all, this book was picked by concensus!

/x

yeah you fecking slackers! Stick down some thoughts about the books or is it that you'll all mouth and no reading. I know that some of you are teenagers but you should have been taught to read by now.

What happened to all that enthusiasm when a book forum was suggested?

Either that or you'll just have to put up with Spoonie and me whittering on.

you have been warned.

Pete

inthehills

Ok, I'll try and sort out the list and stick the thread up for book 2 at the weekend.

To be fair everyone reads at a different pace and it seems Spoonie reads at warp speed. But I had hoped more people would have commentated on the first book by now. Especially as they voted for it!

that was my thinking too. i'm reading tonnes of stuff in between these books to try and keep from reading them all now and forgetting by the time we come to comment. the only reason that i read so fast is because i have a 40min journey each day on the bus and read in bed as well. that being said, getting the one book bought and read by now is hardly unrealistic!

/x

Being a cheap skate I didn't even buy I, Lucifer, I just got it out of the local library. They've got some weird stuff in our local library. I've just finished A Sunday at the Pool in Kigali which is about the massacre of tutsis by Hutus in Rwanda. It is not a nice book. You should all check out your library, if only to borrow cd's and rip them to your mp3 players.

I also have a long train journey in to Aberdeen each day to go to work and I read in the evenings listening to music 'cos tv bores me. I'm guessing most folk have read some of the books on the list but just haven't bothered to post anything.

oh, and if you want a good "read" why don't you try Andrzej Klimowski's The Secret. Hehehe. (once you've read it, you'll know why I think its slightly amusing)

Pete

inthehills

Vice president of Team Readathon.

Guest bluesxman

I decided not to participate because I don't always have time to read much and often it's limited to a few pages at bedtime so just saw myself lagging behind all the time.

hence, i did not join the book club.

It's not a matter of joining. You didn't have to make a book nomination to take part. Just chip in whenever you've got time, you feel like reading one of the listed books or we're discussing a book you've already read.

i find it a real relief nowadays benig able to read because i want to. before it was notes and textbooks, never novels, but after ploughing through those you never feel like reading so i feel your hurt.

pete, if you're VP does that mean i get to be prez? this is the best thing ever! we need to get an honorary president as well, to fill in the traditional board structure. a figurehead of integrity and honesty who we can look to in times of need for advice and guidance. all ideas welcome!

also, there's a 'read 50 books in a year challenge' on alt nation which i find is a great way of keeping track of all the books you've been through. anyone fancy me getting one started on here?

/x

I like reading but do it at a much slower pace than I used to. Aside from books I've already read I haven't even started on the book club list yet as I've still got books I bought before christmas to read and have a horrible habit of drifting into Fopp and coming out with more.

Guest bluesxman
I like reading but do it at a much slower pace than I used to. Aside from books I've already read I haven't even started on the book club list yet as I've still got books I bought before christmas to read and have a horrible habit of drifting into Fopp and coming out with more.

Cheap books in FOPP coupled with lack to reading time also means I have a hideous amount of unread books sitting about.

It's not a matter of joining. You didn't have to make a book nomination to take part. Just chip in whenever you've got time, you feel like reading one of the listed books or we're discussing a book you've already read.

well that's fair enough. and i think you'll find i have :)

i think 'life of pi' is one of the few on that list i've actually read..

pete, if you're VP does that mean i get to be prez? this is the best thing ever!

Yeah Dude, I'm never going to aspire to greatness, so you have to take the helm!

We need a company secretary, you know, long legs, good hair, nice tattoos.

I tend to reread a lot of my books almost as a relaxing thing. I've been reading some pretty heavy stuff recently so to reread Prachett is to give my brain a rest from genocide or the mad imaginations of an 16th centuary ex-monk.

I imagine if you've taken reading as your degree and then have been forced to read certain books regardless of personal choice I'd imagine it'd take a while to get back your reading mojo.

pete

inthehills