aberdeen-music

Go North Dundee

Sam 45

I'll just copy and paste what i got sent to me, havnt read through it all yet.

News and Events

Go North Dundee

Go North comes to Dundee: call for bands and solo artistsGo North, the acclaimed music industry showcase and convention, is coming to Dundee on 1 March 2007 with its unique programme of workshops, panels, seminars and showcases. The event kicks off with a day-time workshop and industry development programme including:

-Professional song-writing masterclasses with some of Scotland's finest songwriters

-Music for the games industry masterclass with Ged Grimes

-Cultural Enterprise Clinic with representatives from the Cultural Enterprise Office, Musicians Union, Scottish Arts Council, PSYBT, -Thorntons Lawyers and PRS giving one to one advice on all aspects of working in the music industry

-Industry development seminars

-Music in film programme at DCA.

At night, it takes over the main music venues of the city showcasing the finest emerging talent from Scotland and some of the best new contenders from the rest of the UK, Ireland and beyond. All showcase events are free entry, so it's an excellent opportunity to see the very best in contemporary, cutting edge new music.

Emily Dewhurst, Music Development Officer for Dundee City Council says, "Dundee has an incredibly vibrant music scene right now, so it's a great time for us host an event of this calibre and showcase some of the excellent bands currently breaking through."

If you are a band or a solo artist making new music in any genre and you would like to perform at one of the showcase events, send a CD demo with full artist information plus contact details to: Emily Dewhurst, Music Development Officer, Leisure & Communities Department, Dundee City Council, Dundee Contemporary Arts, 152 Nethergate, Dundee, DD1 4DY. Deadline for entries is 12pm, Tuesday 16 January 2007 and we're really sorry, no late submissions can be considered.

Everyone in ABDN just moaned about Go North, not surprised they moved it.

It was moved as it is the Highlands and Islands year of Culture. Also note how Dundee Council have supplied a staff memeber to look after the Go North event. Aberdeen Council ain't putting money in again. Go Aberdeen Council leading the way in inspiring Cultural activities.

Maybe time for a lobbying body to start prodding them a little. I mean in general and not just in relation to Go Norf, or 'not so far norf'...

Does anyone know anything about entering GoHi?

(read Ian's post and thinking Go North was meant) Once Dundee is past they will be announcing details of the Go Hi (north) event, apparently.

As for it not doing anything for Aberdeen I disagree. For at least a little while in every while there was a focus on the city's musical goings on. Now any attention is good attention and if you want to make something of such events then you can. It may take a little work but there is always a gain for those that bother to try. There was always a bit of a buzz around it and many folk rallied together and had a good old time. Regardless of the ins and outs, the nae sayers and the negativity that has been prevailant it is better to have such things happen than not. It makes Aberdeen seem a little more cultured and interesting and can show what 'is' on offer. It also encourages folk to look outside the city walls a little.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i have to agree with ben, although i enjoyed the foyer presentations a couple of years back, the actual gigs just seemed to be full of a handful of jerks that didn't give a fuck about anything that was on. besides, they are clearly fucking morons cos 10ew weren't ever asked to play!

I just happen to know someone that attends the City's Cultural Forum and can get things added to the agenda. They are currently putting together a new strategy for developing the city's cultural position/stuff. Maybe there is a requirement for a lobbying body made up of various stake holders from the music end of things...

I would say that this may be something to chew over as there is a 'Scottish Contemporary Music Industry Association' in development that will be looking at strengthening the 'Scottish music industry' acroos the board, if such a thing can be done. Anyway, it seems that some folk in the industry have managed to grab the ear of the executive and there is movement afoot, that will 'hopefully' be progressive.

TALKING POINT?

It did NOTHING for the music scene here anyway...absolutely nothing. Any industry types that I met took nothing seriously, were using it as a bit of a jolly and were all pricks that had no intention of paying any real attention. Good riddance I say.

rubbish we made some good contacts from last years event, people who were interested in what was happening up here, musta spoken to the wrong people....

I would say that this may be something to chew over as there is a 'Scottish Contemporary Music Industry Association' in development that will be looking at strengthening the 'Scottish music industry' acroos the board, if such a thing can be done. Anyway, it seems that some folk in the industry have managed to grab the ear of the executive and there is movement afoot, that will 'hopefully' be progressive.

TALKING POINT?

I was hearing about the Cross Party Members Committee on Contemporary Music that has been set up in the Scottish Parliament which certainly sounds interesting, it'd be nice if these things all do good stuff.

Cheers

Stuart

I just happen to know someone that attends the City's Cultural Forum and can get things added to the agenda. They are currently putting together a new strategy for developing the city's cultural position/stuff. Maybe there is a requirement for a lobbying body made up of various stake holders from the music end of things...

A lobbying body, led by a strong individual with the influence within the council could be a good start. Problem is, I'm not sure that everyone actually agrees beyond "the council needs a kick in the arse".

Perhaps someone with suitable connections should try calling a public meeting to see if there's any common ground? If there is, then it makes sense to go forward from there. It would be especially good if all players, be it the big ones to the tiny ones could make the effort to be a part of it, while leaving the politics and issues at the door.

I fear however, that due to it being an election year and ACC not being a strong council (which will only get worse with PR in the local elections this year), it may be hard to persuade them to actually spend the money needed.

However, another suggestion. Would it be entirely unrealistic to attempt to find funding for someone dedicated to working on behalf of the music here?

A lobbying body, led by a strong individual with the influence within the council could be a good start. Problem is, I'm not sure that everyone actually agrees beyond "the council needs a kick in the arse".

Perhaps someone with suitable connections should try calling a public meeting to see if there's any common ground? If there is, then it makes sense to go forward from there. It would be especially good if all players, be it the big ones to the tiny ones could make the effort to be a part of it, while leaving the politics and issues at the door.

I fear however, that due to it being an election year and ACC not being a strong council (which will only get worse with PR in the local elections this year), it may be hard to persuade them to actually spend the money needed.

However, another suggestion. Would it be entirely unrealistic to attempt to find funding for someone dedicated to working on behalf of the music here?

Common ground atlast :)

All great points... I have been chewing over 'repeatedly and for my amusement' whether Aberdeen needs, wants or is bothered about such a body being set up. I think it may be worth hanging fire until the intended outcomes and strategy of the larger group are identified. I will say that, having attended the Scottish music industry working group meetings the language is continually centred around the 'central belt' even to the extent of one well known 'large musical festival' organiser suggesting that the next meeting be in Glasgow and not Edinburgh as it was easier for him and some others. Poor them having to travel 40 minutes on a train. So a nation wide representaion is crucial. Anyhoo, if I get any minutes through, which they aren't very good at to be honest, I'll maybe post them up here for thoughts

Oh and Jester, Fish was invited to sit in on the meeting and he made some great points about the lack of 2nd level funding for home grown talent. Which was all noted, embarrasingly, by the poor Scottish Enterprise chap who gets it in the neck all the time.

Oh and Jester, Fish was invited to sit in on the meeting and he mades some great points about the lack of 2nd level funding for home grown talent. Which was all noted, embarrasingly, by the poor Scottish Enterprise chap who gets it in the neck all the time.

Yep, that's who I heard about the Cross Party Members Committee on Contemporary Music from. He seems quite keen on getting more involved in that kind of thing, though he tried to do something smaller when he had his own record company in the early 90's releasing samplers of Scottish talent and taking them to Midem etc and distributing them back when he owned the Funny Farm Recording Studio - I remember him trying to setup a teaching course at the studio for engineers etc and some courses on the music industry for up and coming bands etc, he applied for planning permission so he could do a residential course set up if I recall but was refused, that might have been interesting. Here's hoping these things come to fruition as it'd be good for everyone.

Cheers

Stuart