aberdeen-music

THE LOW LOWS (monotreme recs) SUN 11 MARCH @ THE TUNNELS

Dizzy Storm

2 months away but no harm in getting the word out early on this fantastic band....

DiZZY SToRM and Interesting Music Promotions are coming together, (and are very excited) to bring to aberdeen THE LOW LOWS, an absolutely beautiful/enchanting/eerie (go listen and decide for yourself!) act from Georgia, USA, who's album FIRE ON A BRIGHT SKY was released on Monotreme Records (home of 65daysofstatic, Picastro, Barzin to name a few..) in oct 2006, and who will be releasing a new 2 song single on the label in march.....

Its been a year since the resignation of Lily Wolfe closed the books on NYC dream-pop quarter Parker & Lily, and six months since the reconfiguration of the remaining members into the Georgia trio named (after Parker & Lily's third and final album) THE LOW LOWS. Fire On The Bright Sky, their debut album, is a radiant, desperate prom-night of a record. here's just a few of the great reviews it has received......

ALL MUSIC - "The Low Lows create pretty, pretty lo-fi dirges driven by lightly chugging guitars, Farfisa organ, and treated vocals. Some might place them firmly in the lineage of the Velvet Underground -- and the feedback squalls and oddly archaic tendencies would back that connection. But at times there's also something soft and delicately enchanting about the Low Lows that places them in line with acts like Galaxie 500 ,Red House Painters , or the more delicate tendencies of Sparklehorse . Highlights include the Western-gothic drama of "Dear Flies, Love Spider" and Wolves Eat Dogs." The Low Lows also seem to be at their best when they slow things down to a funeral pace and extract every drop of drama and beauty out of each moment, as in the hauntingly gorgeous "Poor Georgia." This is a solid, lovely effort that sails on the back of strong songwriting and uniquely mournful vocals."

SPLENDID Venomously confessional... one of the most voyeuristic and tragic musical projects in recent memory Noon has shaved his observations on his breakup with Wolfe into lyrics so concise, they're reach haiku-like proportions of succinctness... (they) have succeeded in capturing an extraordinarily elusive human experience...one of the most perfectly lilting vocal styles that I've heard in some time...it's melancholy, yet hopeful...a beautifully melded combination of Galaxie 500 and Mazzy Star...so beautiful that you'll want to repeat these tracks over and over. The only thing that'll keep you from riding the "repeat" button is the fact that each new track is as striking as the music that came before it.

BUFFALO NEWS "Parker Noon and Lily Wolfe delve deeply into the rather twisted and heavy-weathered emotional landscape of their relationship throughout the moody and beautiful 15 songs. All are eerily intimate. All are nigh on unforgettable as well. Fans of the wispy, flower-in-a-rainstorm esoterica of Tindersticks or the work Julee Cruise has done on various David Lynch soundtracks will find plenty to love. Noon's creepy Lou Reed-like sung-spoken vocals, subtle baritone and steel guitar work, and disturbingly poetic lyrics forge a marriage made in hell with Wolfe's organ, electric piano, vibraphone and disembodied vocals. The results reach the shore of the listener in seemingly small, innocuous waves, but their undercurrent is sinister and powerful... It's the most unsettling document of the inner recesses and hidden spaces in a love relationship since Yo La Tengo's masterful "And Then Everything Turned Itself Inside Out."

www.myspace.com/thelowlows

Monotreme Records

SUN 11TH MARCH

THE TUNNELS

8PM

TBC

supports tba

• 2 weeks later...

main support for the night will come from MUSIC FOR ONE which is the project of Canadian guitarist Sherry Ostapovitch, who is now based in the UK. Her reputation has slowly built up on the back of impressive live performances and a handful of EPs. Crafted out of melodic, looped guitar lines, rattles, scrapes and buzzes,

Sherry has performed on bills alongside Sunn0))), Christina Carter, and Do Make Say Think. Up until now MUSIC FOR ONE has been an electric entity merging stark guitar motifs against clicks and crackles created from bits from the hardware store and effects pedals. But on her trip to Canada this summer she acquired a beautiful metal-bodied acoustic resonator guitar. So she is now shunning electricity (only some areas of her life, mind) for acoustic wonderfulness. New sounds, ideas, and directions are always emerging but my delicate balance of emotive quiet and stillness up against bawdier bristleyness is there. "What would have happened if electricity hadn't been invented? What would the acoustic blues musicians and folkies sound like today? What would John Cage and Morton Feldman sound like played on a dobro? Would all music be more improvisational? In truth these questions are somewhat of an afterthought... I just play guitar and let what filters through me be.."

for more info go to hello and welcome to music for one

local support tba

since no-one has actually mentioned who the support is...it'll be from LORENZO SNOW COLLECTIVE !! :up:

that completes a rather splendid line-up.....

I know of at least a couple of guys from venues in the south of england, who think The Low Low's live set is simple without peer......... more to come

that completes a rather splendid line-up.....

I know of at least a couple of guys from venues in the south of england, who think The Low Low's live set is simple without peer......... more to come

I read 'without pear'.

I am listening to Parker and Lily at the moment. They are the pre Low Low's set up (the name is taken from a Parker and Lily song). Very minimal ambient dark alt country and a rather splendid listen 'without pear'...

I read 'without pear'.

I am listening to Parker and Lily at the moment. They are the pre Low Low's set up (the name is taken from a Parker and Lily song). Very minimal ambient dark alt country and a rather splendid listen 'without pear'...

sorry that should be "simply without peer" or maybe "beer"!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

those that prefer the ds tather than the imp

SINGLE OF THE WEEK 2

THE LOW LOWS Elizabeth Pier / Raining In Eva (Monotreme) They have such rewarding textures, drenched in deliciously subtle reverb and gently caressing feedback. Psychedelic galaxy touching dream-pop and look at those shoes arent that glorious, gaze away and fly with the positive melancholy and scratched surface warmth and the stark sweetness that wraps around you with the majesty of it all. The Low Lows (from Athens, Georgia) are wonderfully (strangely) unique and very very beautiful.

http://www.organart.com/

ORGAN 197 dated 1st March 07

official release isn't till the end of march & this is a preview review, just watch all the fantastic reviews come in after the tour is over.......

copies of the single will be available on sunday

Yet another fantastic MONONTREME band about to make its Scottish debut in Aberdeen.

When The Low Low's played UK last tour sadly no Scottish dates, but this is just two quotes from venue owners/promotors down south; Andy at THE LUMINAIRE in London loves the band and has asked to put their photo on the wall of the bar. They will be headlining the venue VOTED LONDON'S BEST on this tour.

Dave Morrison (Gilded Palace of Sin) in BRIGHTON said they are one of the most

"VISCERALLY INTENSE LIVE PERFORMANCES" he has ever seen - he loves 'em!

They are headlining both venues this tour, after coming over as ex 3/4 Parker & Lily

seen once never forgotton......

8-) 8-) :up: :up: :up: :up:

LSC were fantastic!

The Low Lows were wonderful, although they would have been even more so if they didn't happen to be having the worst gig of their career. Terrible, and consistant, feedback from the get go came close to ruining the night for me (and them). Still, the banter was top notch, through desperation I felt. (Was the sound engineer out of his depth? Tricky sound to get right I would think)

Was chatting to the drummer after and he was so apologetic. He even wanted to drive me to Edinburgh so they could provide me with a great gig that they will no doubt have tonight.

Still fab though. Back in October apparently and lets hope they don't shy away from Aberdeen because of last night.

(Maybe just as well that it wasn't the crowd that it should have been)

LSC were fantastic!

The Low Lows were wonderful, although they would have been even more so if they didn't happen to be having the worst gig of their career. Terrible, and consistant, feedback from the get go came close to ruining the night for me (and them). Still, the banter was top notch, through desperation I felt. (Was the sound engineer out of his depth? Tricky sound to get right I would think)

Was chatting to the drummer after and he was so apologetic. He even wanted to drive me to Edinburgh so they could provide me with a great gig that they will no doubt have tonight.

Still fab though. Back in October apparently and lets hope they don't shy away from Aberdeen because of last night.

(Maybe just as well that it wasn't the crowd that it should have been)

who was doing the sound?

yeh the feedback was pretty shocking. Although i dont know anything about sound so i cant speak.

I almost dropped my guiness trying to cover my ears though.

I thought a girl did the sound at tunnels?

Lorenzos sound wasnt the greatest either though.

no digs intended at the chap that was doing it tho.

Guest bluesxman

The feedback was only really bad in the first song I found, although it did try and make a re-appearance occasionally. I really enjoyed The Low Lows and it didn't affect my judgement of them in the least, still bought an album which has been added to my pile that I have no time to listen to...

Thought LSC were excellent as well, the songs with Kathryn Sawers adding vocals were great.

The girl with the guitar was good too, a couple of the tunes had an air of being made up as she went along though, perhaps that was the point!

All in all another great night which was way more quiet than it deserved to be.