aberdeen-music

Banning Users

Scootray

On quite a few occasions, one member of these boards, who you probably all know, comes on these boards every so often and usually ends up with closed threads or a short-term ban. Surely this member, with such a high number of closed threads should just be banned completely as they have nothing constructive to say.

I can't understand why they've never been banned permanently before as in my opinion they are a waste of space.

On quite a few occasions, one member of these boards, who you probably all know, comes on these boards every so often and usually ends up with closed threads or a short-term ban. Surely this member, with such a high number of closed threads should just be banned completely as they have nothing constructive to say.

I can't understand why they've never been banned permanently before as in my opinion they are a waste of space.

I can think of 2 users that probably fit that criteria and looking back over their threads, they have actually contributed some fun to the boards too. Keep them in I say.

If anyone crosses the line enough times then yes, they will be permanently banned (and there are people that have been permanently banned - mostly spammers). The reason we are more reluctant to permanently ban people now is quite simply because there is no effective way of properly banning people permanently. Sure, we can ban them, but then if they are determined enough (and most of them are sadly) then they will simply re-register with another account using a different e-mail and IP address.

A temporary ban at least allows them to keep hold of their account and so makes them less likely to re-register, but at the same time prevents them from posting - at least for a time.

There is a handful of members (no, I'm not naming names) that are often getting close to the line (but not crossing it) and managing to piss a lot of people off. Some of these people have caused enough damage to the reputation of the web site that I am seriously considering banning them not because they have broken a specific rule, but because they are contributing absolutely nothing to the online community yet doing their best to undermine the web site's purpose.

I know for a fact that some people no longer post on this site purely because of these "trouble-maker" members. This saddens me and I'm considering doing something about sooner rather than later.

If anyone crosses the line enough times then yes, they will be permanently banned (and there are people that have been permanently banned - mostly spammers). The reason we are more reluctant to permanently ban people now is quite simply because there is no effective way of properly banning people permanently. Sure, we can ban them, but then if they are determined enough (and most of them are sadly) then they will simply re-register with another account using a different e-mail and IP address.

A temporary ban at least allows them to keep hold of their account and so makes them less likely to re-register, but at the same time prevents them from posting - at least for a time.

There is a handful of members (no, I'm not naming names) that are often getting close to the line (but not crossing it) and managing to piss a lot of people off. Some of these people have caused enough damage to the reputation of the web site that I am seriously considering banning them not because they have broken a specific rule, but because they are contributing absolutely nothing to the online community yet doing their best to undermine the web site's purpose.

I know for a fact that some people no longer post on this site purely because of these "trouble-maker" members. This saddens me and I'm considering doing something about sooner rather than later.

I can't believe there are people that would act like this...i mean imagine coming on here and undermining the websites main purpose such as talking about an avatar looking like female genitalia, or telling peoples band's are crap when alot of said band's are doing quite well or imagine undermining the purpose of Maxi telling people they're sucking corporate cock if they want to progress in the music world and not play shitty east end venues where there is saw dust on the floor and you leave your guns and knives at the door.

Im shocked that people could even think of it!

I can't believe there are people that would act like this...i mean imagine coming on here and undermining the websites main purpose such as talking about an avatar looking like female and genitalia, or telling peoples band's are crap when alot of said band's are doing quite well or imagine undermining the purpose of Maxi to tell people they're sucking corporate cock if they want to progress in the music world and not play shitty east end venues with saw dust on the floor and you leave your guns and knives at the door.

Im shocked that people could even think of it!

I know, the nerve of the people. How dare they respond to antagonistic gestures and provokation. It sickens me to the core.

Okay, this is just turning into a bash Stripey thread so I'm closing it. I've answered the question that was originally asked and so let's leave it at that please.

If anyone has any issue with any other member on the forums then please contact the staff members privately via PM or e-mail. Thanks.