aberdeen-music

RIP Record Labels

framheim

Thing is, if unsigned bands started taking a serious grip on the chart, does anyone really believe that the record companies won't put an significant amount of pressure on to get the rules changed? We've already seen that HMV have decided to start doing their own charts as opposed to the official charts - so really, it seems doubtful that this is as significant as it first looks.

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Unsigned band set to crash charts

although didn't bis' kandy pop go into the top 40 while they were technically unsigned? i remember when they played on top of the pops it was claimed they were the first unsigned band to play on the show.

Doesn't this rule apply to all singles rather than just new release singles which means that the likes of 'Crazy' by Gnarls Barkley or 'Maneater' by Nelly Furtado would still sell more 'copies' worldwide than say Eddison's latest single release meaning not that much change in terms of band names in the chart? I keep seeing it reported as more of a chance for unsigned/unheard of bands when it seems like it'll just be kinda the same names chartwise but more dough for the successful?

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Unsigned band set to crash charts

although didn't bis' kandy pop go into the top 40 while they were technically unsigned? i remember when they played on top of the pops it was claimed they were the first unsigned band to play on the show.

I don't think Kandy Pop made it into the top 40, but they were the first unsigned band to play TOTP.

EDIT - Bit of research makes it all clear. Kandy Pop did make it in to the top 40, charted at number 25, but it was released they on Chemikal Underground. The TOTP performance was prior to being signed.

yea it applies to all singles and probably won't make much difference in the long run. but it does mean that bands aiming for chart success can concentrate on downloads rather than cd's. as producing a downloadable track is significantly cheaper than a cd i'd say it's a good thing. just the fact that an unsigned band is in the top 40 is a huge deal. it proves that anyone can do it and you don't need a major label to get your music out there.

remember how it's always been claimed that the internet will shift the balance of power back to the bands well this is it in action! you are your own marketing tool and record label!

it's also perfectly reasonable for hmv to decide against using the single chart instore now. they voted for the new rules but it wouldn't make sense to use a chart which you can't use to effectively merchandise singles instore. they abandoned the official album chart years ago anyway.

yea it applies to all singles and probably won't make much difference in the long run. but it does mean that bands aiming for chart success can concentrate on downloads rather than cd's. as producing a downloadable track is significantly cheaper than a cd i'd say it's a good thing. just the fact that an unsigned band is in the top 40 is a huge deal. it proves that anyone can do it and you don't need a major label to get your music out there.

remember how it's always been claimed that the internet will shift the balance of power back to the bands well this is it in action! you are your own marketing tool and record label!

it's also perfectly reasonable for hmv to decide against using the single chart instore now. they voted for the new rules but it wouldn't make sense to use a chart which you can't use to effectively merchandise singles instore. they abandoned the official album chart years ago anyway.

Where do the people who compile their charts gather download information from, is there a set number of legal download sites that their information relates too like Napster, iTunes etc?

Where do the people who compile their charts gather download information from, is there a set number of legal download sites that their information relates too like Napster, iTunes etc?

um, yep. same way that there's a certain number of record stores that are chart return stores.

I guess it's more of an exposure thing than anything else for 'unsigned' bands then. In my opinion the charts are pretty irrelevant these days though

what do you mean? not the bit about the charts being irrelevant, the other bit. i don't understand why it's more of an exposure thing just for unsigned bands. the singles chart is merely a marketing tool for any band whether they're on a label or not.

i would imagine the band will see more money from selling the single themselves than if a label had setup the process. they'll own all the rights to it for a start.

what do you mean? not the bit about the charts being irrelevant, the other bit. i don't understand why it's more of an exposure thing just for unsigned bands. the singles chart is merely a marketing tool for any band whether they're on a label or not.

i would imagine the band will see more money from selling the single themselves than if a label had setup the process. they'll own all the rights to it for a start.

Well, you've misinterpreted what i said for starters.

I guess if they get into the top 40 they would be opened up to a wider audience(something that without the backing/promotion of a label a lot of unsigned bands don't get), i was merely mentioning that it would be beneficial in some instances to 'unsigned' bands because of that. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't get what there wasn't to get about that.....

And i wasn't asking about the monetary thing for that reason.

Well, you've misinterpreted what i said for starters.

I guess if they get into the top 40 they would be opened up to a wider audience(something that without the backing/promotion of a label a lot of unsigned bands don't get), i was merely mentioning that it would be beneficial in some instances to 'unsigned' bands because of that. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't get what there wasn't to get about that.....

And i wasn't asking about the monetary thing for that reason.

because your statement was very vague and ambiguous. i didn't realise you were just stating the obvious. :p

ust the fact that an unsigned band is in the top 40 is a huge deal. it proves that anyone can do it and you don't need a major label to get your music out there.

I've no idea of what the current sales figures are like, but I'm sure the amount of copies needed for a top 40 single was as little as 5000 or even less - so you could buy your way into the singles chart for absolutely peanuts. It wouldn't surprise me if this is what's happened here - after all, they'd probably make the money back from signing a deal with a label.

Isn't the after-Christmas sales slump the perfect time for smaller bands / labels to score a number one? I seem to recall someone (perhaps a member of the One Up staff) explaining it to me a while ago - Need to sell less copies now than you normally would to score a number 1, so perfect territory for those with less exposure. Maybe. Don't quote me.

Isn't the after-Christmas sales slump the perfect time for smaller bands / labels to score a number one? I seem to recall someone (perhaps a member of the One Up staff) explaining it to me a while ago - Need to sell less copies now than you normally would to score a number 1, so perfect territory for those with less exposure. Maybe. Don't quote me.

Yeah, that's one of the ways that Iron Maiden ended up with a Number 1.

Guest bluesxman

Yes, I remember The Cramps made the lower end Top 40 with Bikini Girls With Machine Guns due to that....

it proves that anyone can do it and you don't need a major label to get your music out there.

yes, well, to be fair, indie labels have been proving this for years.

koopa went through ditto music, who 'assigned' a label name to them. they also had a well known pr company working for them (who probably advised them on when to 'release' the 'single'). the band - or their 'people' - basically just used the same ways to sell singles as a label would, with the addition of emotional blackmail.

i didn't think anybody would give a toss about the charts now that TOTP and CD:UK are deaded.

The Bis single was rushed out by Chemikal Underground after all the interest - the reason it only charted at number 25 is the bank would only give them enough money to press 10000 singles, which all sold out. If these rules had been in place they would have charted much higher.

how's that then? nobody was buying mp3s in 1996 - everybody was downloading them illegally off napster. the itunes store wasn't started until 2003...