aberdeen-music

Potential CEO, PRS, MCPS workshop

Jim Stax

So then... Whats the interest in a potential 2/3 hour workshop around spring time that will look at 'Starting a record label, music royalties and/or another topic or two?

PRS, MCPS, Thorntons Solicitors (deal with intelectual Property rights etc) and Cultural Enterprise Office (the last one is moi) to be in attendance.

Just gauging interest so that I can get a very rough idea of numbers as well as subject matter. If something pops up then there is an opportunity to tailor it to suit...

What's the talking points out there?

I will also takes this opportunity to say that due to a tiny but significant demand the Cultural Enterprise Office is in a position to offer evening advice sessions on an ad hoc basis.

>> - Cultural Enterprise Office Home Page - << if you don't know what we do yet, for free I will add. Handy and as helpfull as F*** we are!

email info@culturalenterpriseoffice.co.uk for attention of Jim if something peaks your interest. I will stress here that we are not about making people start up a business but about helping with some of the professional development aspects of making an earning from your creative outlet... Just have a good gander at the web site, especially the testimonials!

Jim

I would advise people who plan on getting their band heard properly to go to this. PRS money..free money.

Asbo' bleedin lutely,

Royalties are the your bread and butter if you intend to be successfull, moderately or otherwise.

I have had many conversations with folk that have been in bands for some time, and recieving air/radio play, who don't have a clue about this aspect of potential income, let alone income that can be gained through the MCPS. Fascintaing stuff, truly... For example, if you are a PRS member and you play the Lemon Tree you get a royalty payment, in time, over and above any payment from the venue...

J

we'd be interested in that. depending on time and date etc.

the problem with these workshops is they always clash with work :(

like the cultural enterprise one which is coming up later this month. looked quite interesting as well.

There is no time or date in mind for this workshop yet, only a season, hence the thread.

The CEO events are generally announced well in advance of taking place and if deemed valuable then maybe planning of work time is a possibility? Can't please everyone all the time but we do try our best. Some of our workshops will be taking place in evenings over the next few months, certainly the 'Starting Out Workshop' as I will be delivering it, but mostly its a case of folk prioritising thier needs and planning ahead. :)

There is no time or date in mind for this workshop yet, only a season, hence the thread.

The CEO events are generally announced well in advance of taking place and if deemed valuable then maybe planning of work time is a possibility? Can't please everyone all the time but we do try our best. Some of our workshops will be taking place in evenings over the next few months, certainly the 'Starting Out Workshop' as I will be delivering it, but mostly its a case of folk prioritising thier needs and planning ahead. :)

of course you speak the truth as always. i start a new job the week of the 'organising your next project' one though and have no idea if i'll be free for it(probably won't as it's a thursday i believe and i'm re-entering the giddy world of retail).

do you publish the workshops first on the website or by email? i just got an email about the project workshop this week. even if i hadn't got a new job i still wouldn't have been able to go as i have no holidays in my current job to take. ach weel.

Yup!

of course you speak the truth as always. i start a new job the week of the 'organising your next project' one though and have no idea if i'll be free for it(probably won't as it's a thursday i believe and i'm re-entering the giddy world of retail).

do you publish the workshops first on the website or by email? i just got an email about the project workshop this week. even if i hadn't got a new job i still wouldn't have been able to go as i have no holidays in my current job to take. ach weel.

Been a seasonal delay in our bulletin output I'm afraid therefore making my point 87.5%mute... Apologies. As with any part of our service, if there is enough demand then things are repeated or even tailor made (such as the workshop mentioned above). It will probably head north again in the future if there is a reasonable up take that is... All our workshops and seminars tend to happen very regularly in Glasgow so if you were to find yourself at that end of the country on a given day then booking in is not a problem, although they are always highly subscribed. Just can't get enough of us down there...

Show me the love :)

And

For anyone wondering what Dave was on a bout here is the blurb:

After reading this do give some thought and feedback about the thread topic, if ye can please

cheers

Aberdeen - Planning Your Time and Project

25 January 2007

Are you struggling to fit everything in and always working up to the deadline? Do you never have enough time to devote to you and the things you want to do?

This one day workshop will help you explore your use of time and provide you with tools to organise and prioritise.

Practically youll set a goal, plan a project and identify the resources youll need to make it happen. There will also be the opportunity to share your plans and ideas and look at different formats of presentation.

The cost of this event is 10 which is to be paid in advance.

A buffet lunch will be included.

To reserve a place, please email info@culturalenterpriseoffice.co.uk or call 0844 544 9990.

Aberdeen Foyer, Marywell Centre

Cool. Was hoping to have alittle more 'interested or not' feedback being that royalties and the like are pretty much the main means of earning money in the music industry, if your a songwriter or in a band, and can certainly be a supplementary income even in the early stages.

The proccess of setting up a label can also give a great insight into 'publishing' whether that is through a deal or doing it yourself.

All highly usefull tools and knowldege is power unless your in the Matrix where it's spoon bending.

:up:

My thoughts for this would be, possibly, a Friday afternoon seminar/open discussion type affair followed by a wee gig in a small venue in the city centre.

• 2 months later...

Music Industry type event, aimed at helping you...

I'm flagging this up again as it 'will' (maybe) be happening at the end of May, start of June. This is going to be an informal get together with some reps from various organisations on hand to talk about starting out and working in the music industry.

If there is an interest I would like to hear what times would suit as I am keen to ensure that as many people as possible can take advantage of this.

Get typing...

Promoters/venues-Any interesting gigs, events that are happening around then that aren't up on any calenders yet then let me know (pm me)

If I could make a small suggestion...

(I'm going to anyway)

Prior to the meeting, it might be a good idea to give out a briefing paper on the basic differences/areas of responsibility of the various bodies involved in collecting and distributing musicians money, otherwise you'll probably spend the whole meeting explaining those.

It's also quite a complicated area and it would be better if people had time to digest the information first and maybe come up with some interesting questions.

Such a paper would also make a good online resource.

If I could make a small suggestion...

(I'm going to anyway)

Prior to the meeting, it might be a good idea to give out a briefing paper on the basic differences/areas of responsibility of the various bodies involved in collecting and distributing musicians money, otherwise you'll probably spend the whole meeting explaining those.

It's also quite a complicated area and it would be better if people had time to digest the information first and maybe come up with some interesting questions.

Such a paper would also make a good online resource.

Indeedy my good man. The info is available on their respectve web spaces but agreed that a nice little summary would be a good idea. I have been explaining the differences to one of my colleauges everytime I see her for the last several months. Even Duncan from MCPS, took a good few minutes before she 'started' to get it... :up: