aberdeen-music

Apple Launch iPhone

Stephen

What nonsense.

Phones are for talking and texting...and video phoning if it becomes more common.

None of this mp3 player/photo malarky!

Totally. I wouldn't even be bothered if my phone didn't have a camera. I like the idea of internet on the move in phones but who gives a shit if it can play music or not. I have an mp3 player already.

As long as i can talk/text people i'm happy.

I guess we're ultimately heading along the lines of a fully incorporated all in one unit, but until they produce a high quality one i'm not fussed at blurring the boundaries between my independant camera, phone and mp3 player.

Guest Neutral

I would like a nokia 1100 style phone with a decent camera

Would we pay a much higher price?

Apple store UK/US comparison on exactly the same product(prices after conversion to GBP)

13" macbook

US - 568

UK - 749

181 difference

24.2% Tax? I don't know maybe someone could answer this.

If this is the case than we can expect to pay about 62 in tax on top of the 258 phone for a total price of 320

Oh boy imagine losing one in a nightclub

I think it worth bearing in mind that the iPhone is more than just a mobile phone/MP3 player hybrid. It's a fully fledged Smartphone (think Blackberry, Windows Mobile based phones) and so it is a lot more than just a phone with a camera and MP3 playing abilities.

It has full wireless network connectivity and runs a cut-down version of the OS X operating system - so, in theory at least, you should be able to run OS X apps on it as well (so you can browse the web, use MSN messenger, do e-mail, edit documents, watch movies etc). That, at least in part, explains the high price tag. Another thing worth bearing is the price quoted also includes a 2-year mobile phone contract with the US mobile phone network Cingular - you aren't just paying for the phone.

I honestly have no idea how much this would cost in the UK because it isn't a simple case of converting the prices to pounds from dollars. It depends a lot on which UK mobile phone provider(s) Apple decides to team up with subsequently what contracts these mobile phone provides will offer with the iPhone.

In my opinion, I think the device looks stunning. And if it works as well as it appears to then it will indeed prove to be a groundbreaking device. Personally, I’m going to hold out for the second revision of the iPhone which will probably come out late next year, where Apple will hopefully have corrected the evitable glitches and problems a device such as this will have.

Oh, and for those of you complaining about the limited storage – you may have 30GB of music, but on average, surveys suggest you only ever listen to around the same 10% of music on it. Why do you think the iPod Nano and Shuffle are so popular?

Yum!

Niiiiiice... No doubting the fact that Apple knock seven shades off of almost every other piece of computer (and supplementary) device on the market. I have applied for my first Macaholic/Macophile meeting. I use a pc at work and it sucks. Like the look of this bad boy but a long time off before I can imagine needing/owning one... I said the same about the cd, walkman, computer, drum machine, mobile phone, mp3 player, 5th Gen iPod, Son... (the last one costs the most but is the most fun)

I'm not interested in it as a phone but the widescreen and touch interface look really cool (using a tilt sensor to adjust the display orientation is a masterstroke!) I reckon most of these things will be incorporated into the next generation iPod.

The interface looks great. Don't think I'll be getting one though as I'm in the process of ditching my smartphone for a normal one. I never use any of the features that make it "smart" and all the stuff I do use is slower than a normal phone. Aside from that I've got an iPaq from work that I struggle to do anything useful with and a seperate 20Gb player that I use everyday.

I'd like to see some of the interface ideas seep into normal phones basically, that's how I think this will have the most influence.

Where did you hear that from?

I saw him in a restaurant the other day accompanied by a man with blue eyes and blonde hair moving salt and pepper shakers around on a red & white chequered tablecloth while speaking in a language that seemed to be called " Bynoon Lunchin' ".

I can only assume that the salt represented the amount of songs played and the pepper the battery remaining for call time. It was all very confusing.

Surely if my year old Walkman phone can manage it, the spankin new iPhone will.

Who makes your walkman phone?

I bet it's not Apple, and their using the same sort of battery in their mobile as they do in their ipods so if we apply prior knowledge of ipod's poor battery life to their phone couple'd with their extensive knowledge of mobile phones then they're probably not going to have a great battery life if you facter in playback time with talk time.

Who makes your walkman phone?

I bet it's not Apple, and their using the same sort of battery in their mobile as they do in their ipods so if we apply prior knowledge of ipod's poor battery life to their phone couple'd with their extensive knowledge of mobile phones then they're probably not going to have a great battery life if you facter in playback time with talk time.

Does this battery life beef that people have with Apple apply to all of their products? iPod Shuffle for example?

Does this battery life beef that people have with Apple apply to all of their products? iPod Shuffle for example?

Actually, i'm not sure about the shuffle. It's not initial battery life too, it just seems to get sapped over a 6 month or so period. I know people who've reported battery life falling by as much as 50%. Which is a shame as ipod's generally have quite a few attractive features.

An apple rep. It was a matter they were looking to address before commercial release to be fair.

Fair enough, I suspect there will be quite a few problems like that they will have to try and get ironed out before release.

Hasn't been mentioned in this thread as yet so for those of you wondering, Apple claim the iPhone fully charged will provide 16 hours of music playback time or 5 hours talk time. They make no mention of how much standby time you get however.

I do remember that early rumours of the iPhone claimed it has two batteries - one for music playback and the other for everything else. The theory being you could listen to music all day and run the battery down but the phone functions would all still work. Not sure if this is actually how it works though - Apple don't make this clear.

Fair enough, I suspect there will be quite a few problems like that they will have to try and get ironed out before release.

Hasn't been mentioned in this thread as yet so for those of you wondering, Apple claim the iPhone fully charged will provide 16 hours of music playback time or 5 hours talk time. They make no mention of how much standby time you get however.

I do remember that early rumours of the iPhone claimed it has two batteries - one for music playback and the other for everything else. The theory being you could listen to music all day and run the battery down but the phone functions would all still work. Not sure if this is actually how it works though - Apple don't make this clear.

I had heard the two batteries thing too but i didn't get that impression from the guy i was talking to. It would certainly be a better idea, but that would increase the size/weight of the unit i guess making it less attractive as a mobile phone. 16hrs playback is about the same as an ipod so it could well be that the 5 hours talktime is in relation to the same battery (the figures certainly make sense on that) but when you chop and change between the two i guess that would be a greater draw on battery life and unlike a mp3 player the item will be on all the time rather than on/off.

I love the touch screen though and the layout looks nice. However unless you've got wads of cash burning a hole in your pocket i'd wait for the next gen release.

I remember the last Sony conference i was at and they were laughing that the initial runs of PS3's (non-commercial i must stress) were melting themselves due to overheating and causing a lot of head scratching in the tech dept as to how to stop it and keep costs competitive.