aberdeen-music

A lovely example of P2P...

Sam 45

Taken from a myspace bulletin:

"hey fans and ppl that dont really like us,heres the deal...........

we are playing our first gig in glasgow on 30th jan 2007 and we need support,we have to sell 40 tickets so we thought of this idea.........

if you want to come send us a message and if enough ppl show interest we will put on a bus,so price of bus and ticket will cost you roughly 15 which aint bad 4 a day out in glasgow wit some awesome dudes ha ha.

we need at least 15 ppl to make the bus worth while even if you cant make it contributing to buying a ticket ( 5 ) would help us massively as i said before we HAVE to sell 40.

much thanks and appreciation-decipher"

When will people learn.

There are many places in Glasgow that bands can play and avoid the P2P, unfortunately the most well promoted and plastered is the bigger promo companies that sound great but are ripping off inexperienced bands. Although it is getting better.

But thats nothing new... I hope the guys get their bus filled...

There are many places in Glasgow that bands can play and avoid the P2P, unfortunately the most well promoted and plastered is the bigger promo companies that sound great but are ripping off inexperienced bands. Although it is getting better.

But thats nothing new... I hope the guys get their bus filled...

I hope they cancel the gig.

Very much opposed to pay to play. I however don't think it is unreasonable for bands to be expected to bring 40 people along to a gig. It's in the band's interest apart from anything.

Charging 10 for a bus sounded stupid at first glance and still mostly does. I then thought from and to where? Proabbly not that bad in the sceme of things.

Very much opposed to pay to play. I however don't think it is unreasonable for bands to be expected to bring 40 people along to a gig. It's in the band's interest apart from anything.

If you think it's reasonable for bands to bring 40 people along, what would you say was reasonable if they didn't take 40 along? But..expecting bands to take people to the gig just makes promoters lazy - there's a fair few gigs I can think of that have been so badly promoted and have ended up doing just fine because the support bands worked their ass off to promote it - meanwhile, some promoter's lined his pockets.

Charging 10 for a bus sounded stupid at first glance and still mostly does. I then thought from and to where? Proabbly not that bad in the sceme of things.

10 for a bus isn't bad at all. I know from experience that coach companies will ask for about 500 for a trip to Glasgow and back, so they're only trying to cover their costs. It didn't hurt MMW when they did it, after all.

Good on the band for trying to do it - if they can pull it off, then they won't do themselves any harm at all :)

I wish someone would start advising Decipher on what they're doing...

They're new, inexperienced and from that bulletin really need to think about what they're doing before signing these daft P2P contracts. Surely they'd be better off building a stronger fanbase up here first...they've only played what, about 5 gigs?

Anyway, I don't like their music...well not the stuff on their myspace, but I still think it's a bit of a shame. I can't see them getting 40 folk to be brutally honest, but good luck to them anyway.

i wouldn't be so sure of that. we'd have had more chance getting 40 folk to take a bus to glasgow as a new band starting out than as an older, better, better established band. it's incredible what friend power can do. probably worth someone having a word with them tho. point them in the direction of jenna at the vale in glasgow for a nice venue with no P2P pish.

/x

That's the classic P2P way. They prey on bands who are new and who are glad to get offered the gig. Then the band think they're ace because they get asked back after they sold 50 tickets the first time round, but can't understand why they don't get asked back after their second gig when they only sold 15 tickets and had to fork out the difference themselves. All their friends had already seen them and most of them had other plans or just didn't want to go see a band that weren't very good twice in one year, no matter how nice guys they are.

By this time the promoter has already booked the next bunch of mugs who are chuffed to bits to play a "paying" gig

That's the classic P2P way. They prey on bands who are new and who are glad to get offered the gig. Then the band think they're ace because they get asked back after they sold 50 tickets the first time round, but can't understand why they don't get asked back after their second gig when they only sold 15 tickets and had to fork out the difference themselves. All their friends had already seen them and most of them had other plans or just didn't want to go see a band that weren't very good twice in one year, no matter how nice guys they are.

By this time the promoter has already booked the next bunch of mugs who are chuffed to bits to play a "paying" gig

Couldn't have said it better myself really.

To be fair I do think that newer bands nowadays do seem to want to "get out of town" too quickly. I STRONGLY feel you should wait till you're at least been playing shows for a solid year. Just too many bands aren't even into double figures before they start wanting to play out of their home city. Remember your home city is far more forgiving and will watch you grow. Whereas the guy in Perth who comes and ses you, thinks you're shit, will not easily give you another look.

For a good place to start playing shows in Glasgow, you should look at Rockers. Chances are you wont get paid BUT you wont have to P2P and you get a mix of people. You guys should get on a punk night.

IMO, for what it's worth though. wait until you have about 20 - 30 more shows under your belt before you head anywhere out of Aberdeen-shire.

:up:

A fairly good summation, apart from the fact that P2P "promoters" are quite happy to have you back regardless of how many people actually turn up to see you; your still guaranteed to sell 40 tickets anyway regardless of who buys them.

Sage advice from Bladeola too.

What's the point in taking 40 people all the way from Aberdeen to Glasgow to see you play? Surely the idea of playing out of town is to play to a different audience.

Still, if you do go through with it (although don't), never sign anything, and tell them to get fucked if they ask you to make up the difference.

What's the point in taking 40 people all the way from Aberdeen to Glasgow to see you play? Surely the idea of playing out of town is to play to a different audience.

Still, if you do go through with it (although don't), never sign anything, and tell them to get fucked if they ask you to make up the difference.

They won't let you play, and they'll threaten you with a "blacklist" so it's much easier to tell them to get fucked asap, in a nice way of course, no point burning bridges when you don't know who the bridge belongs to.