aberdeen-music

100 Greatest Guitar Solos

Neil

• 8 months later...

Typical "Greatest" list, some good, some bad, and some downright weird choices.

Looks like a list picked by a Luther Vandross fan, acting on behalf of someone else.

"Cinnamon Girl" made me chuckle - got to be the easiest solo ever! One note played over an arppegiated harmony.

The outro is quite cool and was clearly unplanned when NY recorded it.

Great song though - and one that we do a reasonable job of.

What's everyone else's fave solo?

Mine is "Lunar Sea" by 70's proggers Camel, from the "Moonmadness" album (the rest of the album is ding, by the way, but that solo is a masterpiece)

Despite being a huge Pantera fan I don't really get the praise for Floods. It's just a stock metal solo, there are far more interesting bits of Dime's work on that album and other Pantera albums.

I think (this, of course is NOT - I very much doubt it at least - the reason it's high in the list) that because he wrote most of it when he was about 16 is quite a feat.

There are definitely more intricate things he has done and there are indeed other Dime solos I much prefer (Domination and Shattered (outro) for example) but Floods has a good feel to it too. :)

My favourite is Starship Trooper by Yes - number 68 in that list. It's like all good things in this world, condensed into some neow neeow .. and you have to wait such a long time for it... 25 or 30 reps of that riff (originally from a Bodast song :love:) and then... ahhhhhh. The best. Nejlepsi. Leiblingssolo.

Guest DustyDeviada

Hard to look past Sultans of Swing for me, only problem is it's right at the end of the song and usually you get dickhead DJs talking over it. :down:

Good to see Pride and Joy in there too, class tune.

I think (this, of course is NOT - I very much doubt it at least - the reason it's high in the list) that because he wrote most of it when he was about 16 is quite a feat.

There are definitely more intricate things he has done and there are indeed other Dime solos I much prefer (Domination and Shattered (outro) for example) but Floods has a good feel to it too. :)

Shattered is awesome man! Basically pantera wanting be judas priest. Probably the best Pantera song that no one bangs on about. Their 'Shortest Straw' if you will!

I agree with chris on 'floods' - I'm not overly aroused by it.

My favourite Pantera song is probably Slaughtered though. Absolute brutality, and without needing to tune down either.

Shattered is awesome man! Basically pantera wanting be judas priest. Probably the best Pantera song that no one bangs on about. Their 'Shortest Straw' if you will!

I agree with chris on 'floods' - I'm not overly aroused by it.

My favourite Pantera song is probably Slaughtered though. Absolute brutality, and without needing to tune down either.

Agree with Shortest Straw. That song is awesome and doesnt get enough recognition. As far as Pantera goes though,my fav is probably Becoming.

As for the list, Highway Star I like thats in there, but found Sublime - Santeria a weird choice. Personally would have gone with Date Rape if I had to choose Sublime.

There are hunners of "better" solos - just a matter of taste really.

I like it when you hear a really memorable solo where you didn't expect one - two that spring to mind are "Rapture" by Blondie and Larry Carlton's contribution to the "Hill Street Blues Theme".

There a few great guest solos in Steely Dan's back catalogue.

Agree with Shortest Straw. That song is awesome and doesnt get enough recognition. As far as Pantera goes though,my fav is probably Becoming.

As for the list, Highway Star I like thats in there, but found Sublime - Santeria a weird choice. Personally would have gone with Date Rape if I had to choose Sublime.

Highway Star is a blinder of a solo - it's brilliantly put together and is - to use an old Glasgow superlative - Gallus As Fuck!

Great to play as well

Date rape is hilarious - about the only Sublime song I know. (except for 'Sublime' by Prong, ho ho ho)

'...And Justice For All' and 'Far Beyond Driven' are my two favourite albums by Metallica and Pantera respectively. Most people would say Puppets and Vulgar are their finest work, but to me there was always something darker and heavier about Justice and FBD. The lyrics to both albums also seemed more personal and spiteful too, especially the last minute or so of '25 Years'.

"We're fucking you back, fucking back" - try singing along to that bit without doing the Phil Anselmo frown-and-upside-down-mouth combo.... Impossible.

Fuck it, I'm gonna listen to that now.

Guest bluesxman

Theres loads of good songs on that list, but lets face it, its comparing chalk and cheese for most of it Lynyrd Skynyrd vs. Radiohead?? Hmmm.

I like Neil Young solos, they tend to sound like they could fall apart any second no Like A Hurricane in there though. Good shout on 3 Days by Janes Addiction too.

Daves just trying to be cool, shouting for Funkadelic n stuff ;) Dave we need to hook up so I can pass on yer Clutch collection..you still purchasing the Sunn CDs as well?

Date rape is hilarious - about the only Sublime song I know. (except for 'Sublime' by Prong, ho ho ho)

'...And Justice For All' and 'Far Beyond Driven' are my two favourite albums by Metallica and Pantera respectively. Most people would say Puppets and Vulgar are their finest work, but to me there was always something darker and heavier about Justice and FBD. The lyrics to both albums also seemed more personal and spiteful too, especially the last minute or so of '25 Years'.

"We're fucking you back, fucking back" - try singing along to that bit without doing the Phil Anselmo frown-and-upside-down-mouth combo.... Impossible.

AJFA FTMFW! :laughing:

Justice is IMO the best Metallica album. Shame that Kirk's lead sound was really thin. Hetfield's rhythm sound there is possibly the most brutal 'E' I've ever heard!

That bit is fucking awesome!

As far as the list though...Nirvana's smells like teen spirit is above ozzy's No More tears!

What!!! zepplin and hendrix are included 2 or three times in the top 20...What???!!!

In my opinion both are highly over-rated...not 1 Death Solo in there, not one Suffocation solo.

If they are going to do these lists then they could at least include all varieties of music and not just the MTV/PlanetRock/Q magazine covered bands. Trapped in a corner by death is still one of my favourite solo's...ever.

That bit is fucking awesome!

As far as the list though...Nirvana's smells like teen spirit is above ozzy's No More tears!

What!!! zepplin and hendrix are included 2 or three times in the top 20...What???!!!

In my opinion both are highly over-rated...not 1 Death Solo in there, not one Suffocation solo.

If they are going to do these lists then they could at least include all varieties of music and not just the MTV/PlanetRock/Q magazine covered bands. Trapped in a corner by death is still one of my favourite solo's...ever.

well as it says in the article... it was put together by 'guitar world' magazine, which i think is similar to 'total guitar' over here i.e. has a readership mainly into popular rock and metal.

e.g i'd have put more vai, satch and gilbert in. i'd also have the solos from guthrie govans 'waves' and 'rhode island shred' (latter played by bumblefoot). and loads more janes addiction 8-) and probably more jazz and fusion solos. and more blues.