aberdeen-music

The Malt Mill !! Thanks for the responses

malt mill

Thanks everybody for the responses ,all comments have been taken in to consideration,We've had the P.A looked at and it was set up wrongly at the cross-over and a couple other small defects ( now rectified ), but this is not to say the P.A won't be upgraded.We will be starting the band's earlier and quite a bit of refurb will be done down stairs to the decor and the stage area ( Work to be carried out up stairs too ).Changes due to start Mid January,so keep your comments coming and keep an eye on the NEW MALT MILL.Still looking for idea's on what type of bands and music your looking for!!

Will keep you posted.:up:

I didn't mention this in your last thread, although I meant to: I've always found the PA adequate in the Malt Mill, but it was more often than not set up wrong, the worst was when the top right amp was feeding the bottom left cab, and vice-versa. The X-over often had bizzare settings as well.

Imo the main problem with the Malt Mill was that inexperienced people (i.e. bands) were just handed a pile of mics/cables and left to get on with it. Maybe you should investigate hiring someone with half a clue to help bands set up the sound.

If your going to keep the sound set-up* the same, then employing a part-time engineer/barman might be the best option. There wouldn't be enough work after soundcheck to justify a full time sound engineer so they'd need to supplement their wages somehow, and it's always good to have them handy in case there are problems later on.

If you want to get the best out of your PA, you'd have to employ a full-time engineer and buy some bits of kit (FX units, compressors etc) plus some more mics etc. and possibly upgrade the entire PA. Maybe that's a step too far at the moment but something to think about for the future.

The main gripe I've had from people is the lack of monitoring. This is, unfortunately, not a cheap problem to fix satisfactorily.

* by this I mean only putting through vocals/keys/acoustics etc and working off the backline for the rest

Still looking for idea's on what type of bands and music your looking for!!

Will keep you posted.:up:

I'd like a wide spread of music....perhaps settling into regular nights. I appreciate that the weekend will still be given over to covers bands, but maybe Blues on a Monday, Folk on a Tuesday, Jazz on a Wednesday, Death metal on Thursday etc However it's probably not sustainable, unless outside promoters work their behinds off to get the nights filled/build up a regular audience etc

I'd like a wide spread of music....perhaps settling into regular nights. I appreciate that the weekend will still be given over to covers bands, but maybe Blues on a Monday, Folk on a Tuesday, Jazz on a Wednesday, Death metal on Thursday etc However it's probably not sustainable, unless outside promoters work their behinds off to get the nights filled/build up a regular audience etc

I'm pretty sure thats the idea,maybe you should get in touch and ask if they want Aberdeen alt-folk type stuff from a slightly older gentleman ;) you could open that diverse evening :p

Cheers

Stuart