aberdeen-music

Paul Le Guen leaves Rangers by "mutual consent"

Chris

12-1, I've stuck a speculative fiver on it.

I reckon Billy Davies is the best bet, so a speculative tenner on him is getting laid too.

i think davies is happy at derby, they're having a great season - having said that if he was offered the job i think he might take it.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Telegraph | Sport | Rangers opt for McCoist and Smith

Seems like Walter Smith and Coisty have got the job.

They can have McCoist, but it'll be a bit rubbish for Smith to leave Scotland in the middle of an excellent campaign. Ok they say he can do both jobs in the meantime but that's not really a good solution. With the state that the national team was in after Vogts it needs a full time manager in place, not someone with one eye on their club side.

Don't even get me started on what this does to the chances of Rangers players getting into the Scotland team. Expect to see various members of Rangers Reserves getting call ups to the training camps anytime soon.

Even as an England fan I think it's pretty disgusting that Walter Smith has decided on this course of action. He was doing so well and Scotland were becoming quite a team to be feared again, well he was on the right path. I guess David Murray pays better than the SFA huh? The thing is that I agree with Spoonie. He has been there and done well at that place already.

I thought Walter was going to manage both the Gers and Scotland, it's not exactly hard is it. Watch and field players in the country where you manage the national team too. Guus Hiddink did it with PSV and Australia without even being in the National teams country and still managed to get the Aussies to a World Cup.

I think it would be best for scottish football if it works out like that. It means Walter can keep a proper eye on all the youngsters developing in the Scottish Prem.

It means Walter can keep a proper eye on all the youngsters developing in the Scottish Prem.

Bollocks. It'll just be the youngsters at Rangers. And if not then it'll be another incentive for them to use to steal the players from other clubs "come to Rangers and you'll be right under the Scotland manager's nose all week, won't do your chances any harm will it?".

Bollocks. It'll just be the youngsters at Rangers. And if not then it'll be another incentive for them to use to steal the players from other clubs "come to Rangers and you'll be right under the Scotland manager's nose all week, won't do your chances any harm will it?".

Nah, that won't be the case. Walter's not a biased man now, he won't be in this situation. And even if he does bring young players to Rangers what's the problem, in normal cases they'd be playing european club football every season, gaining experience against world class players like Ronaldinho where they probably won't languishing in shit sides like Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts etc where they might get a few higher class games in a decade of playing for them.

Guest DustyDeviada

I just don't see the incentive for him. He's already a Rangers legend for the 9 in a row stuff, so anything less than similar success will tarnish that record. After a fairly ropey time at Everton his reputation in the football world is now pretty high again thanks to the Scotland success and even if things were to start going downhill with Scotland he can never be totally blamed because he only has a limited pool of players to work with - not the case at Rangers, where as we have seen with PLG he will be judged on his signings.

Also, he had lots of money to spend (and waste) when he was at Rangers before, not the case now, and when he was there Celtic were a shambles financially, again not the case anymore.

At his time in life I just can't see why he can be bothered with the hassle of day to day club management.

And even if he does bring young players to Rangers what's the problem

The problem is I fucking hate the way the OF think they can buy anyone in the league just to deprive the other teams of having them. Even if Smith goes to Rangers and keeps the Scotland job at the same time I don't think Scottish players will get much more first team places than they currently do in that team. So they're better off staying at teams like Aberdeen, Hibs or shite like Dundee Utd and getting first team football.

The problem is I fucking hate the way the OF think they can buy anyone in the league just to deprive the other teams of having them. Even if Smith goes to Rangers and keeps the Scotland job at the same time I don't think Scottish players will get much more first team places than they currently do in that team. So they're better off staying at teams like Aberdeen, Hibs or shite like Dundee Utd and getting first team football.

Thing is their more likely to get first team football at Rangers these days as the Walter would have a good reason to play them and Strachan is all about grassroots and development. Dundee Utd, Aberdeen et al would probably benefit from having younger Old Firm players being loaned out to them. Might bring up the standard of Scottish football a bit quicker. Might stop non old firm clubs from bringing in below standard foreigners that can't get a game in their own countries.

Dundee Utd, Aberdeen et al would probably benefit from having younger Old Firm players being loaned out to them.

That's honestly the worst idea I've ever heard. That would kill competitive professional football in this country.

Scottish football should not exist just for the betterment of the OF.

Dundee Utd, Aberdeen et al would probably benefit from having younger Old Firm players being loaned out to them.

that'd be fine if it happened, instead of the OF buying up a heap of players and benching them. riordan was doing well at hibs and look how long it took him to get a sniff of the action at celtic. wait and see who the OF hoover next. i guarantee they'll do it again.

Dusty makes my point exactly. what does he have to prove and how much chance does he have of proving it.

/x

That's honestly the worst idea I've ever heard. That would kill competitive professional football in this country.

Scottish football should not exist just for the betterment of the OF.

Nope that's not what i meant you tit. Of course it's always down to individual players to make the decisions themselves of where they want to play. If they want to play a full career at Aberdeen, Russell Anderson for example, then that's fine. If they're playing well enough to get in the Scotland squad themselves they will. And if youngsters get the chance to go out to smaller clubs and realise that they're guaranteed a game then they'll be more likely to move there on a permanent basis.

We should be looking to having more players playing outside the SPL as well and that's never going to happen unless we have them in an adequate shop window.

Think long term my friend.

Nope that's not what i meant you tit. Of course it's always down to individual players to make the decisions themselves of where they want to play. If they want to play a full career at Aberdeen, Russell Anderson for example, then that's fine. If they're playing well enough to get in the Scotland squad themselves they will. And if youngsters get the chance to go out to smaller clubs and realise that they're guaranteed a game then they'll be more likely to move there on a permanent basis.

We should be looking to having more players playing outside the SPL as well and that's never going to happen unless we have them in an adequate shop window.

Think long term my friend.

Ok, I see what you mean. I still don't think it's a good idea though. Effectively they'd be using the rest of the league as feeder clubs which I still don't think is fair or healthy for the game as a whole. A better solution would be for them to stop buying young players they have no intention of playing (or for players to realise they won't get a game and not bloody move in the first place). That way there are no restrictions a la David Fernandez a couple of years ago when he was loaned out by Celtic but couldn't play against them.

As for players getting into the Scotland squad if they're good enough, I don't think that's entirely true. If Russell Anderson was a Rangers player for the last 3 or 4 years, in the form he's been playing in he'd have 30 caps not the handful he's got now.

As for players getting into the Scotland squad if they're good enough, I don't think that's entirely true. If Russell Anderson was a Rangers player for the last 3 or 4 years, in the form he's been playing in he'd have 30 caps not the handful he's got now.

There are quite a few defenders ahead of Anderson in the Scotland pecking order and only two of them play for the old firm. Granted playing at one of the Old Firm clubs would've increased his chances but only because of the european aspect of it.

If Anderson wanted to further his chances of playing for Scotland then he should've moved down south when he had the chance. While he might be loyal to Aberdeen, it's never been his brightest career move staying in Scotland there. I can understand his reasons for not making an old firm switch but if he really was THAT good he would be at an English Premier club by now already.

There are quite a few defenders ahead of Anderson in the Scotland pecking order and only two of them play for the old firm. Granted playing at one of the Old Firm clubs would've increased his chances but only because of the european aspect of it.

If Anderson wanted to further his chances of playing for Scotland then he should've moved down south when he had the chance. While he might be loyal to Aberdeen, it's never been his brightest career move staying in Scotland there. I can understand his reasons for not making an old firm switch but if he really was THAT good he would be at an English Premier club by now already.

There was scouts from 3 different English Premier clubs watching Anderson the other week. If Aberdeen get into Europe, i fancy him to stay.

There was scouts from 3 different English Premier clubs watching Anderson the other week. If Aberdeen get into Europe, i fancy him to stay.

There's been scouts from English Premier teams watching him since he was 20. Doesn't mean he's good enough to earn a move.

And to the last point: What so he can get 180mins of European football and be run ragged by people that play at a higher level on a weekly basis? He's seen European action with Aberdeen before, might be the right sort of time for him to make a move in the right direction rather than taking the easy ride at Aberdeen.

to me, taking the easy ride is moving to an OF club for more money and being a benchwarmer for most of your time there. not having to pick up the pieces every time zander diamond tries to go through someone and misses!

/x

I don't think he should make the Old Firm switch. He'd be better off moving abroad (a la O'Conner- his games come on perfectly since moving to Moscow, although he's a wee bit home sick) or to England. And it'll always be an easier ride playing for a club where you're idolised and can do nothing wrong, which is the position he's in right now.