aberdeen-music

Paul Le Guen leaves Rangers by "mutual consent"

Chris

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustyDeviada

The Sun has a huge front page story today saying "WALTER IS GERS BOSS", saw it in the paper shop.

As for Anderson, there have been rumours doing the rounds about some sort of fitness problem that stops bigger clubs coming in for him, also he's maybe not quite tall enough for the Premiership.

But lets face it, he's the captain of his hometown club, getting a good wage, family settled, the odd Scotland cap every now and then, I can see why you wouldn't want to risk all that.

After all, plenty of Scottish players have gone off to try their luck in England and come back with their tails between their legs, look at Simon Donnelly and Phil O'Donnell, regulars for Celtic, refused a new contract, went off to the lower reaches of the Premiership , relegation, all went tits up and now they are playing for Partick and Motherwell? I bet they wish they stayed at Celtic, what's to say the same wouldn't happen to Anderson if he left?

I bet they wish they stayed at Celtic, what's to say the same wouldn't happen to Anderson if he left?

Aside from being in the same league Aberdeen do not play football at the same level as Celtic. There's no way Aberdeen would survive past any sort pre-qualifying stages in European competition. And Donnelly and O'Donnell are nowhere near as good as Anderson.

Though it is hit and miss for players adapting to other leagues and the way other clubs are run. But that works the same in Scotland too in moving between clubs in the SPL.

Guus Hiddink did it with PSV and Australia without even being in the National teams country and still managed to get the Aussies to a World Cup.

Australia only really had to play two matches to get to the World Cup though - until they left the Oceania confederation, they could have whipped virtually all the teams without trying. The only hinderance they had was having to play a playoff against another team from a different confederation to get there. In those circumstances, anyone with an ounce of sense could have got Australia to the finals.

They've moved to the Asian confederation now, though.

Aside from being in the same league Aberdeen do not play football at the same level as Celtic. There's no way Aberdeen would survive past any sort pre-qualifying stages in European competition. And Donnelly and O'Donnell are nowhere near as good as Anderson.

I dunno, the first round of the UEFA cup is usually a lottery - and various diddy teams have always done pretty well against "big" teams.

They'd get destroyed in the Champions League though - but the money brought in for those games would make a huge, huge difference.

Guest DustyDeviada

Donnelly in particular was a good player before he left, a regular in the Celtic team (and a Celtic team that won the league if memory serves) and Scotland international, but a poor spell in England ruined all that.

I'm just saying that Anderson will be aware of his situation and others and maybe think "Life is good, why rock the boat?"

There are plenty of others who have tried their luck in England and drifted into obscurity, what ever happened to Callum Davidson?

There are plenty of others who have tried their luck in England and drifted into obscurity, what ever happened to Callum Davidson?

Dennis Wise (I think?) broke his jaw at Leicester a few years ago over a poker argument!

He's at Preston now I think. Still playing at a good level.

David Rowson on the other hand.....answers on a postcard. He was at Northampton Town with Eoin Jess last season but I think he's disappeared from the planet.

David Rowson on the other hand.....answers on a postcard. He was at Northampton Town with Eoin Jess last season but I think he's disappeared from the planet.

Went to Darlington on a free transfer, currently on loan at Boston.

Was a largely rubbish player in a Jags shirt the season we dropped out of the SPL. Not missed.....

Guest DustyDeviada

Well done SFA. I hope Smith doesn't get arsey about it.

Hopefully he didn't really want to take the job and this is just so he can say "Well, I tried" to David Murray.

Well done SFA. I hope Smith doesn't get arsey about it.

Hopefully he didn't really want to take the job and this is just so he can say "Well, I tried" to David Murray.

Unfortunately I still think he'll go, but at least this way the SFA can ring as much cash as possible out of the huns.

There will be dog's abuse from every ground in the SPL (apart from Castle Greyskull obviously).... and well warranted too.

I really hope Rangers fuck up rotten now, with all those alcoholics in the squad and Walter's 'drink together, win together' philosophy, it could be on the cards.

I really don't think it will make a shit all difference. The only thing Smith did was bring a Scottish approach to the team. He knew (atleast I thought he did before today) what it was to play for Scotland. As long as we get in another Scottish manager Scotland will continue to progress, wouldn't mind Mcleish actually.

I really don't think it will make a shit all difference. The only thing Smith did was bring a Scottish approach to the team. He knew (atleast I thought he did before today) what it was to play for Scotland. As long as we get in another Scottish manager Scotland will continue to progress, wouldn't mind Mcleish actually.

I'd quite like Levein in charge (plus it fucks over Scumdee Utd).

Basically aaaannnyyyooonnneee but Tommy Burns. That would be a disaster :down:

As long as we get in another Scottish manager Scotland will continue to progress, wouldn't mind Mcleish actually.

McLeish would be alright, although I'd prefer someone without Old Firm affiliation. Someone elsewhere mentioned Gary McAllister which I thought was a decent shout.

Realistically the SFA will probably go with Burns in the short term.

Smith's most valuable input for Scotland was picking a strong, competent side, and sticking with it. No fannying about with Stockdales and Dobies and Kyles like the last fella.

Rodriguez has gone already: now if Walter can punt Letizi, Svensson, Papac, Hemdani, Novo, Sebo and Buffel, we'll be ready to rise again...

AKM

Surely you mean Snake Mountain?

It annoys me when people refer to Ibrox as Castle Greyskull. It was the home of the Sorceress, not a place of evil!

Meh, Castle Greyskull sounds more derogatory though. If its good enough for BBC Scotland weather presenters, its good enough for me

Smith's most valuable input for Scotland was picking a strong, competent side, and sticking with it. No fannying about with Stockdales and Dobies and Kyles like the last fella.

Rodriguez has gone already: now if Walter can punt Letizi, Svensson, Papac, Hemdani, Novo, Sebo and Buffel, we'll be ready to rise again...

AKM

Andy Todd anyone??

Paul Lambert would be a good shout, but he needs to prove himself as a manager really. Though he's having a cracking run at Wycombe just now, it'll be interesting to see how they fair against Chelski in the cup, that could be a good marker for his suitability.

He's got a good knowledge of European football too and that could work to our advantage.

McAllister i don't think would be suitable, he has no managerial experience whatsoever, but i guess that isn't always a drawback- fresh approach etc.

McLeish would be a disaster. And Levein is a no go ;)