aberdeen-music

Ableton Live/Ableton Sampler

RossP

Yup!

Anyone got/used either of these programmes? Any good? Value for money??

Watcha Mr R.

I've got Ableton 6. Fantastic! I have barely scratched the surface but it is very intuitive and easy to come to terms with. I tend to use it to record into (as a studio) and then play around with the sounds and then arrange. Plannig the purchase of a wee Mac book soonish and then go mobile with it. I'm a novice at these things but find it a joy! Well worth a purchase if you think you will get good use of it. I haven't purchased the Sampler but heard good things!

Anyone that has used it will pretty much say the same!

Jim

Watcha Mr R.

I've got Ableton 6. Fantastic! I have barely scratched the surface but it is very intuitive and easy to come to terms with. I tend to use it to record into (as a studio) and then play around with the sounds and then arrange. Plannig the purchase of a wee Mac book soonish and then go mobile with it. I'm a novice at these things but find it a joy! Well worth a purchase if you think you will get good use of it. I haven't purchased the Sampler but heard good things!

Anyone that has used it will pretty much say the same!

Jim

Happy new year n' all that :love: :love:

I'm basically looking for something that i can write electronic drum beats with, to which i can then add bass lines, guitar, percussion and recordings from my brand new digital dictaphone. I think i only need the sampler, but i'm not sure.

Got a demo of the Live 6, but haven;t really tried recording anything onto it yet. Quite fun to piddle around with, but really need something simple that i can attempt to create Manitoba/Errors/Random Number/Fourtet style beats.

I'm basically looking for something that i can write electronic drum beats with, to which i can then add bass lines, guitar, percussion and recordings from my brand new digital dictaphone. I think i only need the sampler, but i'm not sure.

Got a demo of the Live 6, but haven;t really tried recording anything onto it yet. Quite fun to piddle around with, but really need something simple that i can attempt to create Manitoba/Errors/Random Number/Fourtet style beats.

Yup, Happy New Year.

Probably get someone better versed to guide you through this but Ableton Live gets my vote for all my uses great, small and as yet unrealised. Go to myspace.com/twobackjoe and have a shooofty at the musical dabblings... Not a great deal of beats going on I'm afraid but the guitars are straight in then puddled with mildly, where needed.

apparently kieran hebden (four tet) just uses adobe audition. i think it's called cool edit now, though. i use it quite a bit, but it's not very good in the way of sequencing.

Ace stuff Jim, really impressed :up: The drum sounds that are heard/manipulated, i take it are recorded from your kit? Did you just mike up an amp, connected directly to the computer, when recording the guitar?

I'm a total novice!! When trying to import some recordings from my Digital Dictaphone, i got told that Live 6 demo does not support Wave files/4 bit audio sample. I take it there is a program (freeware) that can convert wave files to MP3 or another supportable format. Otherwise my dictaphone can e considered useless :down:

apparently kieran hebden (four tet) just uses adobe audition. i think it's called cool edit now, though. i use it quite a bit, but it's not very good in the way of sequencing.

I stumpled upon Ableton Sampler after seeing a Youtube video of Telefon Tel Aviv showing how he uses it. Looks really user friendly. Can only get a demo of Live 6 rather than Live Sampler though...

Ace stuff Jim, really impressed :up: The drum sounds that are heard/manipulated, i take it are recorded from your kit? Did you just mike up an amp, connected directly to the computer, when recording the guitar?

I'm a total novice!! When trying to import some recordings from my Digital Dictaphone, i got told that Live 6 demo does not support Wave files. I take it there is a program (freeware) that can convert wave files to MP3 or another supportable format. Otherwise my dictaphone can e considered useless :down:

Ta min, glad you like... None of my drums in there, getting to that soon though. The Staccato Set recordings tend to have resampled versions of my beats going on some where in the back ground though and again Ableton Live via one Ziggy Campbell. The drums are actually an acquired sample through various filters and effects. The geetar goes straight into the computer through a wee audio/midi interface, no amp required. Note that Ableton are a small company and are great to deal with direct. I purchased the download version and it couldnt have been more painless if someone that knew what they were doing did it.

If working in education or a student you can get a whopping discount. Email them...

If working in education or a student you can get a whopping discount. Email them...

Hmm... wonder if i can persuade them to give me a free download, if i use my st machar academy teacher email address, on the basis that i could recommend it to the music department if i can work it effectively and its as good as i've heard :love:

Hmm... wonder if i can persuade them to give me a free download, if i use my st machar academy teacher email address, on the basis that i could recommend it to the music department if i can work it effectively and its as good as i've heard :love:

Doubt you will get it free... But expect to get over 100 off. You get the rates on the site. Just need some documentation showing the education establishments. That said they deal with you presonally and each case individually... Nothing ventured nothing gained. It is worth the cashoola spend though...

Guest lime ruined my life
I'm a total novice!! When trying to import some recordings from my Digital Dictaphone, i got told that Live 6 demo does not support Wave files/4 bit audio sample. I take it there is a program (freeware) that can convert wave files to MP3 or another supportable format. Otherwise my dictaphone can e considered useless :down:

cdex is my favourite for converting between file types.

SourceForge.net: CDex

if you're a complete novice then fruity loops is good for programming drum beats. The later versions of fruity loops also let you dump in audio files to play back. Live is good and intuitive, but fruityloops learning curve is even shallower.

you could get ni's battery, which is a drum sampler, and load it from any major music computer program that supports vst. I don't think audition would work straight off unless it supports midi? i thought it was just an audio editor, but i could be wrong.

In order to sequence drum patterns you really need some sort of midi sequencing going on. You could theoretically dump in each drum hit sample into an audio multi tracker but it'd be pretty tedious.

• 4 weeks later...

Not quite the same thing but some people swear by Propellerhead Reason

The main criticism is the fact it isn't really compatible with anything else and is non-standard. I wouldn't get it for that reason alone, personally.

I use Sonar 5 producers edition for recording. Don't do much in the way of sequencing but am likely to get more into that. Cubase and logic are similar ideas.

Neuendo is another one people use.

N-Trak I heard of a few years a go and not heard anything about since.

Also got a friend who uses Adobe Audition.

Note that just about all these software products have demo versions. Try out the demos, see what you like and don't like.

The problem i've heard about Reason is that it has distinct sound. What they mean, i think, is that with Reason your given a set of modulators and you don't have as much 'control' over the sound as you do with Cubase and Logic, which are basically just sequencers with the ability to add VST plug-ins.

Saying that i do know a lot of artists who use Reason and have a lovely 'sound' to their tracks.

Another piece of software you may want to look at is Audiomulch. Its not a sequencer but more a "interative music studio". Again it has VST plug-in capabilities plus you can also use Audiomulch live in a club.

There is no difference between Nuendo and Cubase audio wise. Nuendo is for multimedia while the later is just for audio.