aberdeen-music

Quiet Racket

britheguy

Okay we all know that a valve amp sounds better cranked up a few notchs, but also know it can be too load at this sonic nirvana levels.

What is the best 'power brake' type thing to use. I have a Marshall Powerbrake already, but I feel it mucks up the tone a bit. Is this just me?

Also, do these contraptions bugger up the valves etc?

Cheers

Brian

I've never used a Marshall Powerbrake myself but according to the reviews and bulletin boards on Harmony Central, the THD Hotplate and Weber Mass degrade the sound a lot less. All attenuators sound a bit artificial at high levels of attenuation, sounding a bit fuzzy. The THD has built in automatic EQ which adjusts the sound according to the degree of attenuation, with the goal of keeping it the same. The Mass has a switchable high frequency boost which I usually leave off to tame fizzy treble.

I was gonna say - before reading through and seeing that it has been mentioned already - that the THD Hotplate is far more highly regarded than the Marshall Powerbrake.

This Weber thing sounds good though, I'll have to look into that one as I definietly need an attenuator at the moment anyway! :up:

Thanks for all the info I didn't know about guys :)

From what I have heard, the THD hotplate is one of the best out there at the moment

You will wear out the valves a bit quicker, as you are making them work harder (amplifying it more, then cutting the volume down, instead of letting the valves do less work and only amplify the signal a wee bit) but no more than running at volume anyway.

One thing that a attenuator dosen't take into account is speaker breakup, every bit of the chain adds in its own effects - preamp and poweramp, but also the speakers can distort at very high volumes, though that will depend on your speakers in particular (low wattage/efficiency versus high wattage/efficiency) but could be part of what you are missing out.

The new Orange is the Tiny Terror, there are a few other wee valve amps out there now - Hiwatt do one, the Zvex Nano, Epi Valve Jr to name a few, that gives you the overdriven amp sound at lower volumes, but is slightly limited if you wanted to play with a band or the like...

David

TBH I was fancing the THD, but the set impedance is putting me off a little bit. I'd never heard of the Weber before, but this might be the one for me. I would really like to get my half stack going again, but it's just too bloody loud most of the time..

I know this is a little off the thread, but while talking about vavles etc. Has anyone found their head/combi start to lose, shall we say 'sparkle', over the period of an evening gigging? Or is just my hearing being blattered and not hearing what I thought I heard at the start of the gig?