aberdeen-music

Speckled Hen..

Benji

Anyone like ales?

I'm in the process of trying this Speckled Hen.. and it's fairly nice. It's almost like a disco in Alford. :love:

If you're looking to kickstart a proper disco in Alford, might I suggest you try Speckled Dove. It's a bit like Speckled Hen but more....intense, shall we say :love: :love: :love:

There are 2 classes of real ale. First there is the mass produced stuff made by the big breweries who have swallowed up the smaller breweries. These ales become more insipid tasting over time as production is moved away from the original site, and the original brewers to somewhere state of the art, cranking out hundreds of brewed under license products. Unfortunately Old Speckled Hen is one of those. I'm not saying it doesn't taste good, just that I personally avoid drinking it in favour of the stuff produced by independent micro breweries. The big one to avoid is Directors Bitter, it's become so appalling it's almost descended to the level of John Smiths.

The micro breweries are the other side of the coin. Most of them operate as a labour of love on a relatively short budget. But my taste buds prefer those ales as they always have much more character. Not all of them are good, but none of them taste like Directors Bitter.

Some of the best known beers are from micro breweries, for example the Orkney / Highlands and Islands is a micro brewery and they produce stuff like Dark Island, Three Sisters etc. Isle of Skye is another decent micro, and so are Houston, Harvieston, and Inveralmond. There are loads of these places. The best way to find out is to ask the publican, or to consult the Good Beer (or should that be beard) Guide ;)

The Moorings attempts to stock all it's real ale from the micro breweries, and predominately the Scottish ones. The main reason our ales are less inexpensive is that the micro breweries charge much less per cask tha the big companies (who have stock markets to impress).

I suspect that the bigger brewers only continue to make real ale to keep market share away from independents. Tied houses (bars leased from brewers and pubcos) are generally not permitted to stock products from independents. Some of the pubcos allow it, but impose a per product charge! Some of the biger brewers will offer to sell beers from independants but the price of the cask is generally 50% more expensive than going direct.

Up the anarchy :up:

PS Skull Splitter is on now. Three pints and you're mud. It's another Orkeny beer. Sort of a turbocharged Red MacGregor.

I had a try of Three Sisters last night, and I think it is THE best ale I have ever tasted.

Fucking top notch.

Had a couple of pints of that last night, fantastic beer. Really fruity kick to it and it went down well easy. Lovely.

Went out later and told all my friends we have to start drinking in The Moorings more often. At 2.10 for a pint of Three Sisters you can't go wrong.

Had a couple of pints of that last night, fantastic beer. Really fruity kick to it and it went down well easy. Lovely.

Went out later and told all my friends we have to start drinking in The Moorings more often. At 2.10 for a pint of Three Sisters you can't go wrong.

Yeah, it seems to be a problem with quite a few of my mates aswell. I don't know why the hell they are so skeptical about going to the Moorings and choose to go to crappy, atmosphereless places like Slains and the Old School House instead.

It is clearly the best pub in Aberdeen.

Curiousity has taken over.. 3 Sisters it is.

Oh aye, and I'll have to try that drink your on about as well Chris.

You're in for a shock then LOL - those were full price. Come on a week night and it's something like 1.90, dropping to 1.60 on Wednesdays (if memory serves me correctly). But yeah Three Sisters is probably my favourite dark ale.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. You all just made my week ;)