aberdeen-music

PC problem

Guest Craig C

Guest Craig C

I hope someone can help, this is driving me crazy.

Basically, every so often my PC monitor just cuts off. By this I mean switches to 'sleep' mode and doesn't go back. I have to end up switching my PC off, waiting for a bit then switching it back on to get it started again. I've tried cleaning out the inside of the tower just incase dust or something was causing something to fuck up inside.

Anyone got any ideas? If you need more info - just ask.

Thanks in advance,

Craig.

I hope someone can help, this is driving me crazy.

Basically, every so often my PC monitor just cuts off. By this I mean switches to 'sleep' mode and doesn't go back. I have to end up switching my PC off, waiting for a bit then switching it back on to get it started again. I've tried cleaning out the inside of the tower just incase dust or something was causing something to fuck up inside.

Anyone got any ideas? If you need more info - just ask.

Thanks in advance,

Craig.

If I had to guess I would say there is nothing wrong with your monitor but your PC is overheating and so shutting-down. Hence why waiting a wee while solves the problem temporarily.

If the PC appears to still be on and functioning (i.e. there is hard disc activity etc) when the monitor suddenly goes to sleep then I suspect it's the graphics card itself that is overheating and switching off. Open the case and check that there is no large build-up of dust on the fan that your graphics card most likely has on it. Also verify that the fan on the graphics card is actually working when the PC is switched on. Also check the card is seated correctly by gently pressing it in. Sometimes the heat can cause components to expand in size and move out of position.

If you could give me the made and model of your graphics card then I could try and point you in the direction of a utility that will report how hot your graphics card is running at.

Guest Craig C
If you could give me the made and model of your graphics card then I could try and point you in the direction of a utility that will report how hot your graphics card is running at.

It's a Radeon 9600 XT-4 ?

Thanks for the info by the way :up:

Guest Craig C

Right,

I've opened up the tower again and gave the whole thing a clean using a rocket blower. Especially the graphics card (which did have a fair amount of dust on it). Everything seems to be fine...so far.

If it crashes on me whilst I'm downloading Frampton Comes Alive - I shant be happy.