aberdeen-music

Replacement for Jagmaster

blairsea

Unfortunatley due to forces of nature my beloved Jagmaster got destroyed. I know it was only a Squire and cost less than 300, but I really liked the sound I got from it. So easy to play and could handle constant tuning changes from drop-D to low B.

Now is the time to buy a replacement for it but I'm not sure if I'm just gonna go out and buy another one. Looking at Fender Jags and Jazzmasters but not sure if they suit the sound I really want. Marshall in my band already has a Les Paul and SG so they are out of the question. Want something that has a beefy low end but can be nice and warm sounding when clean. Always play with bridge pickup and go through Laney LC50 valve combo.

Any suggestions? Don't want to spend more than 500.

Sorry about the Jagmaster, they're pretty cool. You could try a Squier Tele Custom II (with seymour duncan P90s). They're only about 160 pounds but have been compared favourably with guitars double the price in reviews. The Hamer XT vector (flying V clone) got a rave review in this months Guitarist Magazine and is only 200 -ish pounds.

If you're looking for something different, try Reverend guitars. They have quite an extensive range and are really cool.

The Tribute range by G&L are also good if you're looking for a decent strat/tele alike. Other brands to consider are Godin and Gordon Smith (handmade in the UK, prices start at 500 ish).

Guest DustyDeviada
You could try a Squier Tele Custom II (with seymour duncan P90s). They're only about 160 pounds but have been compared favourably with guitars double the price in reviews.

They look pretty damn cool to me.

Something with P90s and a hardtail would definately be a plan.

I was really interested in the Fender Tornado too. Not sure about the humbuckers though. If you don't mind their latest image assosciation, LP Juniors are nice and stripped down, although I'd personally miss the neck pickup.

Jazzmasters are really lovely, versatile guitars... although the tuning down would play buggery with the bridge.

Jazzmaster /Jaguar bridges suck. The stock jazzmaster holds the strings with just a screw thread, leading them to jump out when any sideways (i.e hard strumming) force is applied.

JAG6.jpg

You don't have to lose the whammy, what Maxi suggests is just changing the bridge and leaving the tailpiece. The easiest solution is to replace the bridge with a mustang bridge which does not require any alteration to the guitar (unlike a tuneomatic bridge).

grooves.jpg

[the mustang saddle on the right has a much bigger, deeper groove than the jazz/jag saddle]

It's not that the bridges are bad... it's just that you can't expect a Jazzmaster vibrato bridge to be reliable when tuning up and down a lot. A tune-o-matic bridge would definately be a lot easier, as long as you dont mind loosing the whammy bar.

I accept that but it was a telecaster we were talking about...:popcorn:

Guest lime ruined my life

a lp junior? nope, its a lp melody maker.

"The reincarnated version of the Gibson Melody Maker is very similar to the Les Paul Junior specs, with a single P-90 pickup, but uses different body and neck woods and different finish style."