aberdeen-music

Acoustic?

Hog

Personally I'd go for a Freshman. That's just from my experiences so far.

Yamaha does very nice stuff aswell. The LL11 (I think that's the code for it) was a great one for the money.

A few Takamine guitars I've tried have been lovely too.

Good call by Frosty on Simon & Patrick aswell, I've only played one and it was a couple of years back but very nice if I remember right.

Maxi is right on Taylor being nice, I think you get more for the money from Freshman but it all depends if they do what you're after.

Try a good bunch out and see what ya think from there :up:

I have a S&P. it is a nice guitar, not too big either as it's like a 'folky' thing.

I tried a couple of Breadlove guitars around 500 quid mark.....really really good guitars!! I would certainly try out one of those if I was you. I tried it a Rainbow Music Dundee. Breadlove got best acoustic of 2006 in one of the mags, I can't remember if it was in the 'under 1000, or over 1000' price range though.

A few things to concider when buying an acoustic guitar.

The pickup will not give you ideal tone for recording but it should be as ideal as possible for live use.

I also think the type of strings make an absolutely huge difference on acoustic guitars. For the type of stuff I play I like the thickest string to be at least guage 52.

For recording, ideally you record on an un-carpetted floor with at least one microphone, in addition to the pickup. I got a very balanced sound with an Ovation acoustiic in my kitchen (with a tiled floor) and an AKG C414 about 1 metre away.

Ovation are quite good but I am not sure I would get another one. A lot of people like Martin so you probably wont go too wrong with them. Might get a Yamaha and try to imagine it with strings I like on it in the shop.

Guest DustyDeviada

Get a Gibson or a Martin, pricey yes, but worth it. Although to be fair if it's main use is doing acoustic gigs around town then it's probbaly not worth spending a lot, buy a cheap Yamaha and spend a bit on a decent soundhole pickup.

• 1 month later...