aberdeen-music

god created the heavens and earth

GraemeC

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He created heaven and earth in the dark......

On the 3rd day he created the light/the sun........Thus confusing me further as how can there be day/night within the 1st 3 days of the sun being created........

God made man and woman in His own image.Maybe the 1st recorded hermaphrodite

maybe?......How can both male and female be in the image of god?......

It makes me laugh that this day in age people still follow the bible and certain religions when science and facts have surfaced TELLING us how the earth was created and WHEN..........

To me, religion is a societal reflex, and God is simply collective human consciousness. I don't believe in the power of God, I believe in the power of Man (by this I mean, the human race, before the feminists have at me). Man's capacity for good and evil are infinite. Now before someone asks how good and evil are defned without religion, all religious texts are fundamentally the same - don't kill each other, don't steal, don't fuck everythng that that moves with wild abandon, just be cool to each other (as Bill and Ted said!) - It's that collective human consciousness that gave us our moral barometer at the start of civilisation.

Given that most religious texts say the same things, our prophets/holy figures/messiahs were simply great men and women who had good ideas about how we should live our lives. Everything else is up to interpretation and corruption by people who would use these guidelines to their own ends. Not a single religious text states that you sdhould kill people who hold different beliefs. I believe a man called Jesus existed, I just don't think he was the son of God. Man is his own God.

word.

this is the crux of the matter. the definition of god and what that represents in the bible. i believe that jesus and the disciples existed but i don't believe that he was the son of some all powerful being. i believe that god in the bible is a metaphorical character used to describe our own spiritual conscience or our soul.

to that end it's also possible to believe in heaven and hell but not believe in a 'god'. so long as you accept that heaven and hell probably exist as some kind of dream state which works kinda like a tape loop set to eternity. when you realise you're about to die you'll think of the worst thing you've done or the good things you've done and that thought will seem to last forever. because you're dead there is no 'time'. it's like when you nod off for 5 minutes on a bus and have what seems like a really long complex dream but you were only asleep for a short time.

so anyway, the old testament could simply be a metaphorical statement regarding man's early efforts to reconcile his spiritual conscience with his basic desires. the new testament could just be seen as some stories about a guy who had some groovy ideas about everyone getting along.

i do find it sickening the way some atheists attack any sign of religion to the same degree that christian fundamentalists get my goat. on that atheism program that someone mentioned earlier, there were people who were campaigning to get memorials to dead policeman removed from a town road because they were in the shape of a cross and thus were forcing religious beliefs on the rest of the town. that's just frankly ridiculous. just as ridiculous as teaching creationism as a science really. religious theory should be left to religious education.

let's begin:

He created heaven and earth in the dark......

He's God, He can create the anything in the anything. Just because YOU couldn't do it, doesnt mean he can't. He can do anything, that's why he's God.

On the 3rd day he created the light/the sun........Thus confusing me further as how can there be day/night within the 1st 3 days of the sun being created........

Thats the point. Many people at the time worshipped the sun and moon as gods because they brought night and day (and therefor the things they represented to the culture: birth, death, rebirth. There is a huge amount of depth to go into on that subject.). The idea here is to make sure that people don't think that the sun and the moon are gods by disassociating them from day and night.

God made man and woman in His own image.Maybe the 1st recorded hermaphrodite

maybe?......How can both male and female be in the image of god?......

He is the alpha and the omega, he is everything. he could have made them in the image of a pandaroo and they'd still be in his image since he is everything and nothing. And if that doesn't float your boat, there are many other interpretations available of what is meant by "made in his image" aswell, perhaps it doesn't mean physically at all, perhaps it means that we are meant to be beings of peace and love, like the G man.

It makes me laugh that this day in age people still follow the bible and certain religions when science and facts have surfaced TELLING us how the earth was created and WHEN..........

see my earlier posts for possible explanations for this.

To be honest you haven't really tried to add anything at all to the thread with that post, you have just come in and attacked religion because for some reason you dislike it. Maybe instead of attacking religion you should spend some time trying to figuire out why feel the need to try and destroy something that brings other people happiness.

Thats the point. Many people at the time worshiped the sun and moon as gods because they brought night and day (and therefor the things they represented to the culture: birth, death, rebirth. There is a huge amount of depth to go into on that subject.). The idea here is to make sure that people don't think that the sun and the moon are gods by disassociating them from day and night.

No, the point was: How can you measure a day before you create the sun? By definition,

there is no such thing as "day" without the Sun, and it depends on your point of view, relative to the Sun.

Only Mars has a day close to Earths 24 hour day,Venus has a day longer than it's year and, until the 60's, people thought Mercury didn't have a day at all.

How does god measure a day?

God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night (Genesis 1:5)

Day is however long God decides to keep the light on. Could even be 4.5 billion Earth years...

If you'd said something about "day" being subjective, maybe even pointed out that "In Hindu cosmology, a universe endures for about 4.32 billion years (one day of Brahma)" then I might believe you could debate this rationally. There is no debating with blind faith so therefore, in your eyes, you're right.