aberdeen-music

god created the heavens and earth

GraemeC

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There isn't much to discuss really. The Earth has been proven as being around 4.57 billion years old and so that statement is false.

heres a point, what if there WAS a god, not IS a god. say back all those millions of years ago god created the heavens and earth and light and all that jazz, but he died. maybe we got the wrong idea.... humans would see the ability to create "everything" (maybe there is something beyond space) as godly. what if he/she/it was just pretty close to godly, did all these aweome things then left the gas on by mistake and suffocated in his sleep?

ever think of that?

i only wrote this because i know there will be at least a couple of stoners come on and think about this shit for about 8 hours.

who really cares anyway?

There isn't much to discuss really. The Earth has been proven as being around 4.57 billion years old and so that statement is false.

Of course, any god powerful enough to create things would be powerful to alter the laws of the universe as and when it felt fit. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to assume that while we perceive the universe to be that old, it's entirely possible that our perception is completely and utterly wrong.

Guest Neutral
Of course, any god powerful enough to create things would be powerful to alter the laws of the universe as and when it felt fit. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to assume that while we perceive the universe to be that old, it's entirely possible that our perception is completely and utterly wrong.

Actually, we live in the belly of an infinately long snake and are ruled by its gut bacteria who masquerade as lizards and live under mountains

Or, alternatively, the concept of days in the bible is metaphorical (given no bastard was there to watch it, other than the big bloke himself and a eventually a couple of unreliable apple thieves on the last 'day'), which would mean we could apply a much more liberal time scale to the whole creation process. I know a lot of scientists who are religious (hell yes they exist) that choose to believe the metaphorical version and think that literal creationist / Intelligent Design interpretations are crazy.

Personally, I think the idea that we could have evolved from chance collisions and synergistic reactions on top of some suprisingly stable and fortuitous conformation of space debris is far more exciting than just saying we're just manufactured by some celestial bloke with too much playdoh and spare time. To me it's like saying 'a wizard did it' every time a plot hole needs to be plugged in a fantasy film.

Heh, this post reminds me of Bill Hicks' rant on how some Creationists think God put fossils in the ground to just "test our faith".

Here is Ricky Gervais' entertaining take on it all: YouTube - Ricky - The Bible (animals)

I'm going to make a guess here and say...

"Thou can't believe in what thou has't never seen with thou's own een"?

That's pretty much it. I suppose it's possible to be completely religious, as 100% blind faith does exist. However, aetheism is already a philosophy of doubt, so if you're supposedly intelligent enough to think God is a load of bollocks, you should be clever enough to realise that it might still not be all that simple.

And any doubt along those lines makes you technically agnostic.

That's pretty much it. I suppose it's possible to be completely religious, as 100% blind faith does exist. However, aetheism is already a philosophy of doubt, so if you're supposedly intelligent enough to think God is a load of bollocks, you should be clever enough to realise that it might still not be all that simple.

And any doubt along those lines makes you technically agnostic.

Atheism isn't a "philosophy of doubt". It's simply a belief that no deities exist. I'm an atheist and I can assure you I have no doubt in my mind that Gods (of any kind) don't and indeed can't, exist.

If you have any doubt, then you're agnostic.

no, "they" don't.

so so far, a 'bit off' (or way off) with everything you've posted in this thread?!! o_O

Sorry dude, Young Earth Creationism takes a literal view of the Bible and reckons the earth is about 6,000 years old - GraemeC may have been referring to this.

Y.E.C. believers are the type that have displays near the Grand Canyon, claiming it was formed in a day as a result of that huge, flash flood Noah had to contend with.

Sorry dude, Young Earth Creationism takes a literal view of the Bible and reckons the earth is about 6,000 years old - GraemeC may have been referring to this.

Y.E.C. believers are the type that have displays near the Grand Canyon, claiming it was formed in a day as a result of that huge, flash flood Noah had to contend with.

overlooked, but now noted point.

and stuartmaxwell : maybe he had night vision?

"buy a set of night vision goggles, now with free omnipotence!"

this thread reminds me about an episode of south park about (i forget which religion)

there was a song that went something like "john smith found the see'er stones - dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb".

you know the one?