aberdeen-music

[GIG] APB + Spare Snare + Level Four @ The Lemon Tree

Sam 45

APB - www.myspace.com/apbtheband

Quite possibly the best band ever to emerge from the northeast, APB definitely have the most interesting story to tell. The Ellon trio released a series of funky, sparse and angular singles throughout the early 80s earning several Peel and Radio 1 sessions and what seemed like weekly appearances on Grampian TV. The records were picked up by club and college radio DJs in the US, particularly in and around New York, earning the band a large cult following in the area. Many trips to play live there followed, expanding their audience further, earning slots with James Brown and The Clash (which neatly sums up their sound) their own legendary headline shows at The Ritz and a number one record on the Billboard dance chart,

1985s singles compilation Something To Believe In cemented their appeal and, until its re-release this year, was fetching up to $450 on ebay and Amazon. After fizzling out towards the end of the decade the band have so far never reformed despite many offers. They have now at long last reunited for 4 shows in their East Coast heartland in the US and we are delighted theyve also agreed to perform this historic homecoming show

Spare Snare - www.myspace.com/sparesnare

Voted as the 46th best Scottish band of all time, Spare Snare are a lo fiband from Dundee. Founded in the very early 90s the band have released 7 albums to date, mostly on their own Chute Records. They have also recorded 4 Peel Sessions. In the 1995 festive 50, the band were number 32 with Bugs. Spare Snare have been cited as an influence by acts such as Snow Patrol and the Fence Collective

Level Four - www.myspace.com/levefour

The only band not to have done any John Peel Sessions - awh hell we havn't even played 10 gigs. We could get royally shown up here.

You better get your tickets fast if you plan to come cos they are flying.

As much as I enjoyed APB, at times sounding very contemporary and better than many of todays bands, I couldn't help hoping for a Loveless tune or two. I hope that the chap(s) from Keane that I believe were in attendance, learned a thing or two from thier sound engineer, not often that would happen...

Ian is an immense bassist and hasn't slackened with time... Slap bass that didn't make my skin crawl! Grand entertainment! :up:

Oh and Spare Snare sucked farts! A taste thing!

As much as I enjoyed APB, at times sounding very contemporary and better than many of todays bands, I couldn't help hoping for a Loveless tune or two. I hope that the chap(s) from Keane that I believe were in attendance, learned a thing or two from thier sound engineer, not often that would happen...

Ian is an immense bassist and hasn't slackened with time... Slap bass that didn't make my skin crawl! Grand entertainment! :up:

Oh and Spare Snare sucked farts! A taste thing!

Was just the drummer from Keane that was there in the end, the Bloc Party manager was also there.

Yeah i really didnt like Spare Snare - they weren't nice guys and took fucking ages in soundcheck.

Did the drummer take his own snare with him? Soundcheck that one and then another one? :up:

Sorry I missed this one Sam :(

They didn't do that but did soundcheck about 9 billion different guitars and then refuse to take down their stuff for when we were playing. Twas just their general attitude.

APB were great, would kick most bands around today asses. Spare snare what a pile of shite, couldn't believe when they asked if anybody was at their gig with the delgados 10 years ago. I thought to myself you've been together 10 years and you are still that crap. Who the hell voted them 46th best scottish band of all time prob could name 100 that are better than them.

Soulboy

Guest Giles Walker

I thought it was the best gig i have been to in ages and i was glad i finally got to see a band i have been harping on about (and playing) for years. I thought the live version of "what kind of girl?" kicked the arse off the 12" mix even though i love it.

George Cheyne even hooked me up with a 7" of one of their early tunes after the gig, what a gent!

I feel all in attendance were very lucky individuals to have been able to witness this show.

I was a tiny bit pissed off i didn't get to play all the rare records i had dug out my collection especially for that night but i'm sure (as Hines pointed out) no one would have noticed anyway.

Strange they never mentioned James Brown's passing i thought.......

APB. Was that not a punk type trio? I think I saw them play in Peterhead one time. The management of the pub pulled the plug on them. Aye! actually pulled th eplug out of the wall. The crowd went apeshit until he plugged them back in.

Is this one and the same band???

Another question. Biz you might know this one..did Bruce from Dirtys/Pedro's band play bass with them for a while or is that an urban myth?

Thanks Biz, but my works PC won't let me access myspace for some reason. Can't even access our own red cortinas site. Due to 'unsuitable content' . No digs required about the content;)

But am I correct in what I thought? It was in the Windmill lounge. Better than a few other bands I saw there. Joe Public and French Lessons were ok covers bands. Better than the other bands kicking about at the time. Life and Soul, Embassy Sound etc etc.

• 3 weeks later...